GF4 Ti4200 Ultra - Good Budget Choice?

Old July 12th 03, 11:23 AM
Ron Merts

Yes, it's a pretty good budget choice; but you can find the 5200 Ultra for
$199 (USD) or less all day long. The 5200 lineup is an entry-level/budget
card. The 8X 4200 (A.K.A. 4280) is probably still a better choice if you
don't mind not having DirectX9 support or OpenGL 1.3 support.

Ron

"smjohn" wrote in message
Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget option.

currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various cheaper
options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts in this
newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my favoured
option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells them in
the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).

My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for around £85

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/company...x428x128dv.htm,
I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice, can
anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable purchase.

I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any other
recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm finding

it
pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase in my
price range as there are big variations in prices for the same models by
different manufacturers.

Any advice would be appreciated

(My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)

smjohn

Old July 12th 03, 04:28 PM
Keith Clark

Strontium wrote:

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/vid...500pro_1.shtml

That's not an answer, that's a link. My question was a reasonable one...

I'm not looking for the best benchmark regardless of price. I don't really
care what card is the fastest. I want solid Linux support, *reasonable* frame
rates, good image quality, and a price around $120-$140.

If the article mentions Linux, I didn't see it. I know from experience that
the nVidia Linux drivers are good (at least with a Geforce 256), so naturally
I'm considering a dual-head nVidia card for my home system upgrade.

If you can't do anything other than post links then please go away.

--Keith

-
Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Does the 9500 have dual monitor support and solid Linux drivers? If
it does I might consider one...

--Keith

Strontium wrote:

Too bad that this article is fairly old. And, after the
introduction of the 9500, ATI is smoking nVidia in the FSAA arena.

-
Keith Clark stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Here's what Tom's Hardware says about it :

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...409/index.html

"Shepİ" wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:29:35 +0100, In this world we created
"smjohn" wrote :

Hello, I am looking to replace my graphics card with a low budget
option. I
currently have a Ti500 card and have been looking at various
cheaper
options. My initial choice was an FX5200 but after reading posts
in this
newsgroup, this would seem to be a poor choice. After that my
favoured
option was a Radeon 9500 Pro but I can't find anywhere that sells
them in
the UK (apart from 1 supplier which is out of stock).

My latest option is a Pixelview GF4 Ti4200 Ultra 128MB card for
around £85

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/company...s/pixelview/vi
dpix428x128dv/vidpix428x128dv.htm,
I've also read in this group that a Ti4200 would be a good choice,
can
anyone tell me if this particular card would be a reasonable
purchase.

I would be willing to go up to £125 (approx $205) if you have any
other
recommendations for a good graphics card in this price range, I'm
finding it
pretty difficult working out which card would be the best purchase
in my
price range as there are big variations in prices for the same
models by
different manufacturers.

Any advice would be appreciated

(My system is a P4 2GHz, 512 RAMBUS memory, Win XP)

smjohn

I think it's a good choice but by how much well....
I'm in a similar situation with an older G3 Ti200 and am going to
wait
a while to see what's the nest thing after the FX cards.
Do any of your games not run well?
If the answer is yes then upgrade.
If the answer is no then save your money and wait.
My 10 penn'th.
Also a good supplier,
http://prices.cclcomputers.co.uk/
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Old July 12th 03, 08:55 PM
Strontium

OH, BTW...you don't like my replies?....kill file me, ****face.
Welcome to usenet, you baby.

-

Old July 13th 03, 04:32 PM

What do you guys make of the GF4 Ti4xxx cards on the following link?
http://www.shentech.com/shentech/bfgte.html
This seems to be the only place selling this brand.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:12:44 -0500, "Strontium" wrote:

For $200 USD, you can get a Radeon 9700 non-pro. Check www.pricewatch.com
and try to find someone that will ship, internationally, via CC purchase.
Will blow the socks off the GF4 Ti4200 pro. Can, also, get the 9800
non-pro for $200 USD.

-

Old July 16th 03, 03:35 AM
John M.

According to Toms Hardware, the 5900 Ultra beats the pants off the 9800 Pro:
http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphi...512/index.html

--- John

"Strontium" wrote in message
5600? Not even the 5900 can touch the 9800's, with FSAA. Do some
homework, boy. The 5600 is on par with, maybe the 9200. Hehehe.

-
Dave stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Yeah? And now Nvidia's 5600 is smoking right back!
Dave

Old July 16th 03, 04:29 AM
Chimera

John M. wrote:
According to Toms Hardware, the 5900 Ultra beats the pants off the 9800

Pro:
http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphi...512/index.html

cough cough choke... the 'grain of salt' has been replaced by the nVidia
approved, Toms Hardware endoresed 'brick of salt' me thinks.

Old July 16th 03, 05:33 AM
Dave

Speaking of smoking, I think you smoked enough crack for one thread. Now
sober up or go over to the ati fanboy NG.
Dave

Old July 16th 03, 03:04 PM
Strontium

Tom's Hardware, as well as AnandTech, are both biased out the ass. Blech.
They used to be more subjective (read: about 4yrs ago).

-
John M. stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

cough, cough...blind loyalty..cough, cough.. Got benchmarks?

Old July 17th 03, 12:37 AM
Chimera

John M. wrote:
cough, cough...blind loyalty..cough, cough.. Got benchmarks?

plenty out there.