barton 2600xp @ to 3200 (200x11.5) problem

Old June 27th 04, 01:17 PM
DreamMaker

Default barton 2600xp @ to 3200 (200x11.5) problem

Hi I'm running my system oc to the max but it jam every time i play 3d
games. like far cry ut2004 and call of duty.

i've try all the setting like setting the voltage to 1.75 like those
xp3200 need but it does'nt change anything.

lowering the multiplyer prevent the boot of the system???

what should i do?
i got a barton
xp2600 512K whit the big fan that come with it?
an asus board a7n8x-x rev2 bios 1009
one stick of ddr 400 512mb of kingston
2 hard drive 80, 40 gig a maxtor and western digital
one burner and one cd-rom
a ati 9800pro 128megs 256bits
and a nspire psu 450 @ 430 watts
windows xp pro

my agp frequency is set to 66mhz and at manual...
i"ve set 256mb of shared memory with the video...
my memory is set to optimal and i've try agessive and manual.

snif snif now i'm back to the regular setting...
Old June 27th 04, 03:01 PM
Inglo

DreamMaker wrote:

Hi I'm running my system oc to the max but it jam every time i play 3d
games. like far cry ut2004 and call of duty.

i've try all the setting like setting the voltage to 1.75 like those
xp3200 need but it does'nt change anything.

lowering the multiplyer prevent the boot of the system???

what should i do?
i got a barton
xp2600 512K whit the big fan that come with it?

Replace the stock Heatsink/Fan. Like with one of these:
http://overclockers.com/articles806/
Old June 27th 04, 04:48 PM
Augustus

"DreamMaker" wrote in message
Hi I'm running my system oc to the max but it jam every time i play 3d
games. like far cry ut2004 and call of duty.

i've try all the setting like setting the voltage to 1.75 like those
xp3200 need but it does'nt change anything.

Heat is the issue....3D Gaming stresses the CPU and excessive heat is the
result. Replace the HS/F with a more efficient aftermarket unit. I use the
Vantec Aeroflow on my Barton 2500 @ 3200. Very efficient cooler.......but
noisier than some others.

Old July 5th 04, 03:27 PM
Andy R.

hey there,

finally I have the feeling my odysee 'cooling 2004' will come to use.
i had similar problems on the following system:

- barton xp3200
- 2x 512 corsair fast ddram
- mobo asus A7N8X-e deluxe

plus sata hd and dvdrw all in a silentmaxx bigtower.

the first cooler mounted on the board was a artic silence rev.2 heat
controlled. it's rather expensive but quite silent. in idle mode the
cpu temp would be around 41°C with the '3F' reg change active. (if you
havn't enabled it, you might give it a thought, as it saves energy =
money, as well as heat heat = noise, and it's free.) the problem:
playing farcry or the sort, the pc would heat-stall. (rather quiet,
but not cool enough)

second cooler installed was a 'zalmann cu7000'. Very big, very heavy,
quite loud but very cool for a aircooled heatsink. i would have kept
this, if my system wasn't up 24/7 about 7" from my bed ) (simply too
loud.)

the solution i went for now? Twin radiator watercooled cpu and gpu,
comletly internal. Even the zalman couldn't keep the 3200 under
control. using cpu-burn the core would reach 80°C in about 20 mins of
100% cpu power. i didn't dare to push on altough the cpu is supposed
to take 85° before it starts to run instable. now, liquid cooled idle
temp is at 40° to 41°C in the summer, reaching 49°-50°C under
fullload, no matter howlong - and really whisper quiet. Problem: the
price is about as high a new std. pc -and off the shelf systems
are not really great, so it's better to build a custom one.

two important things: check the airflow of your case: is it sucking
cool air? is it exhausting warm air? are fans 'competing' for air to
use (in this case they are nearly useless), are cables, drives
obstructing the airflow?
what thermal paste are you using? normal paste will waste all your
effort and cash put into the pc, as the entire cooling system is only
as effiecient as it's weakest member. artic silver is expensive in
comparicon, but really worth it's price!
oh, and try to keep all fans and heaksinks clean, as dust dramatically
reduces cooling.

I hope this helps you taming your cpu - let me know what resulted..

best wishes,

andy r. (germany)
Ede
(rem. caps for mail)
Old July 5th 04, 05:16 PM
Augustus

"Wblane" wrote in message
Try raising your Vcore. I'm running my Vcore at 2.1V to get to 2300 on my
Barton 2800+.

2.1V ???? I would consider 1.8 to be absolute max. Bet that processor lasts
6 months or less at that voltage.

Old July 6th 04, 07:03 PM
Wblane

Yeah, it's like 2.3Ghz and change. I guess I was real unlucky w/this CPU.

2.1v for 2.3Ghz? Are you serious? That's hilarious....

Old July 6th 04, 07:05 PM
Wblane

6 months so far. But who really cares when I can get a Mobile Athlon at the
same speed (and more overclockable) for 75 bones. It does have a Thermalright
SLK900U and a Vantec 90mm Tornado.