nVidia SLI motherboards & Intel CPUs

Old December 20th 07, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tony G

Default nVidia SLI motherboards & Intel CPUs

Hi All

I am in the market to buy a new Quad CPU and a motherboard and was
looking at a SLI board with a couple of nVidia graphics cards.

When shopping around I found that many of the new boards with multiple
PCI-e slots are for Crossfire Technology and ATI graphics cards and
AMD processors.

I am interested in sticking with nVidia and Intel CPUs but an getting
confused over the new trend.
Any advice MOST welcome.

Tanx
Tony
Old December 20th 07, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

"Tony G" wrote in message
Hi All

I am in the market to buy a new Quad CPU and a motherboard and was
looking at a SLI board with a couple of nVidia graphics cards.

When shopping around I found that many of the new boards with multiple
PCI-e slots are for Crossfire Technology and ATI graphics cards and
AMD processors.

I am interested in sticking with nVidia and Intel CPUs but an getting
confused over the new trend.
Any advice MOST welcome.

EVGA, has just released the new 780i on Monday, which is Nvidia based board,
supports both dual and tri sli.
Also supports the new 45nm quads coming out sometime in 08.

I have been running their 680i since Feb, and have been pretty happy with
it.

I ordered one yesterday morning from NewEgg, but I see they are sold out
now.

I really like EVGA, they have very good support.

Good luck in your search,

--
Don

Old December 20th 07, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Tony G wrote:
Hi All

I am in the market to buy a new Quad CPU and a motherboard and was
looking at a SLI board with a couple of nVidia graphics cards.

When shopping around I found that many of the new boards with multiple
PCI-e slots are for Crossfire Technology and ATI graphics cards and
AMD processors.

I am interested in sticking with nVidia and Intel CPUs but an getting
confused over the new trend.
Any advice MOST welcome.

Tanx
Tony

For the least amount of potential problems and greatest available
headroom for future usage, combine the latest Intel CPU with the latest
Intel Mobo.

Mind you, I am a fervent nvidia supporter, but unless you are going to
use SLI not just "hoping someday you may", the current Intel chipsets
are superior in most measures.
Old December 20th 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Tony G' wrote:
| I am in the market to buy a new Quad CPU and a motherboard and was
| looking at a SLI board with a couple of nVidia graphics cards.
|
| When shopping around I found that many of the new boards with multiple
| PCI-e slots are for Crossfire Technology and ATI graphics cards and
| AMD processors.
|
| I am interested in sticking with nVidia and Intel CPUs but an getting
| confused over the new trend.
| Any advice MOST welcome.
_____

nVidia makes chipsets that support SLI operation. A number of motherboard
manufacturers produce boards that use the nVidia 600 series chipsets (650i,
680i LT, 680i SLI) for Intel Core 2 processors. I am pleased with my EVGA
680i SLI motherboard, running since March 2007 with an Intel E4300 @ 2.7 GHz
(50% overclock) and a lower than specified core voltage. As 'Don Burnette'
posted EVGA has just come out with a 780i chipset for Intel CPUs and that
will support three x16 PCI-e cards in SLI (the 680i has three physical x16
slots, but two of these are electrically x16 and support SLI, and the third
is electrically x8 and is touted as a slot for a physics processor card.)

Since the Core 2 45 nm shrink will be available early in 2008, you probably
ought to consider timing your purchases to at least get a motherboard that
will support the 45 nm CPUs (though it may very well be that the current
680i SLI chipset motherboards will also support the 45 nm CPUs.

Phil Weldon

Old December 20th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

wrote in message

Stay away from Asus ...... terrible in every respect.
I don't know how they stay in business. I'll never
buy anything from that POS outfit again.

Interesting you say that, when I placed my order yesterday for the new EVGA
780i, I had a new Asus P5E board still in the box here by my desk, decided
to stick with EVGA for now.

--
Don

Old December 20th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

_____

[...]

As I understand it, at least with the new 45nm quads coming out, the 680i
will not support them. Originally the board was designed to support them,
but apparently somewhere along the way Intel made some changes to the
circuitry on the chip, now they won't.
The 780i will however, as well as the Intel X38 chipset boards I believe.

--
Don

Old December 20th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Thank you.

Old December 21st 07, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ed Medlin

wrote in message

Stay away from Asus ...... terrible in every respect.
I don't know how they stay in business. I'll never
buy anything from that POS outfit again.

Interesting you say that, when I placed my order yesterday for the new
EVGA 780i, I had a new Asus P5E board still in the box here by my desk,
decided to stick with EVGA for now.

--
Don

LOL.....Interesting Don....... I have a brand new Asus P5N32-E SLI sitting
here and will probably get an E6600 or something....... Wish I had a 780i
board because that would probably put me over the hump and make me get a
45nm QX 9xxx.