FSB on AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Old April 24th 05, 09:57 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:20:50 +0000, Strings wrote:

"Warning Results not Typical"
$20 600w 24/7 (laugh!)

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. You can verify the operation
of this system any time you choose. It's "My server" below.

Old April 24th 05, 10:04 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:43:20 -0500, Ed wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:20:50 GMT, "Strings"
wrote:

"Warning Results not Typical"
$20 600w 24/7 (laugh!)

system is probably idle 23 hours a day!

Well, I'm on it at least 6 hours a day. When Im not on it it's still
running the server below along with an ftp server and other things. It's
never really idle. I never turn it off, not even during thunderstorms
unless we loose power and the UPS battery gets low.

Old April 24th 05, 10:15 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:13:36 -0400, Yadayada wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.17.57.25.428900@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:28:51 -0700, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:22:06 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You were doing great right up to the point where you died.

So you think a 300W as he was going to buy is big enough?

Without seeing the actual specs on the Power supply, it is hard to say. But
if it isn't an el cheapo 300W, it will most likely be fine. The overall
rating of a power supply (300W, 350W, 400W, etc) is a useless rating if it's
actual ability. The individual rail ratings are far more important.

True, but some 300W PSU's won't have more than 12A on the +12v rail. And
that just isn't enough.

Old April 24th 05, 11:22 AM
Strings

Its simple , whenever you watch TV you see loud exaggerated ads for fake
pills or other things that don't work as promoted and in the corner of the
screen almost hidden is a warning "Results not Typical" if people who have
any use their common sense it can be translated to "crap for suckers."
You are obstinate in sticking to your desire to not only defend sub standard
**** poor power supplies as quality with over hyped exaggerated wattage
ratings BUT recommend them as expectable top quality to others, shame one
you.

You seem a knowledgeable guy on some subjects but loose all credibility when
you cross the line and not just recommend a good power supply but insist
with link that people get a $18 power supply as the foundation of their
expensive investment, shame. Just because you have beat the odds should and
does not mean people must follow your lucky example.
People can spend thousands on their systems and you think they should base
the foundation on a sub standard $18 PS, shame
Average spent for a heatsink and fan $35. So what do you think you really
get for the most important complicated part in a PC (PS) for $18 (low
quality junk) Read the links get educated, even one.

read the one its short
http://compreviews.about.com/cs/case.../aabybpsus.htm
http://www.amdboard.com/psu.html
http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011012/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html
http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Make sure your supply has
Certified compliant for AMD and Intel
Over Voltage Protection
Under Voltage Protection
Over Load Protection
Over Current Protection
Over Temperature Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Detective sensor output
Low Noise & Ripple
Hi-pot tested
Certified EMI Approvals: FCC, UL, CUL, CSA, CE (Minimum)

newsan.2005.04.24.08.58.29.289746@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old April 24th 05, 12:55 PM
Neil Barras

"Strings" wrote in message
Your correct quality before misguided ratings
A 350w Enermax has more stability and quality than any 600w $20 junker.

"Yadayada" wrote in message

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.18.14.38.112111@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:59:56 +0100, Derek Baker wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You're a comedian Wes. D

Yep, and I laugh all the way to the bank.

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If
not
for good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough current
even boot a K8 system.

My first A64 desktop was built using an older case with an older 250W
power supply in it. It ran flawlessly. The only reason I replaced was
because I needed to buy another one to put some old parts together for
another machine. It is a 300W and also runs flawlessly. As a side note, I
have a notebook running off a 90W power supply. That same power supply
not only powers the computer, but also the LCD. Granted, the parts are
designed to draw much less energy, but just used as another example.
Bottom line, a K8 system will perform fine with a 300W power supply, if
you don't have 6 HDs and 4 optical drives working all the time . My
video card isn't the newest, power hungry model, but this is the setup I
used a 250W and currently a 300W PS with: 2HDs, 2 optical drives, a
3000+, and a Ti4600. Probably the reason you were having trouble with
your 400W is that it was also a cheap 400W. I'll put a good 300/350 power
supply up against a cheap 600W any day.

I'm settled with the stock PSU. If it gives me trouble, I'll buy a 400-500w
one from work.

As for the Hard Drive connector situation, does anyone have an idea if I can
use a normal IDE drive on this board?

Cheers for all help guys,

Neil

Old April 24th 05, 01:27 PM
Neil Barras

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Derek...Great news. I can now cut the price down a bit more with an
IDE drive. :-D

To refresh you all of the system, here are the specs:

Novatech AMD 64 Barebones Bundle:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/S...tml?BB-6430BUB
40GB Hard Drive: (DiamondMax Plus8 40GB:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...e.html?MAX-P40)
or
80GB Hard Drive: (DiamondMax Plus9 80GB:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...e.html?MAX-P80)
DVD-Rom Drive from Work
XFX Nvidia Geforce FX5500 256MB (From current PC. Will be replaced by
Nvidia GeForce FX5200 128MB.)
Novatech 80mm PC Case Fan:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?EN-8CMFAN

I am trying to keep the initial price below £300...Hence all the juggling.

Neil

Old April 24th 05, 01:40 PM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You're a comedian Wes. D

Yep, and I laugh all the way to the bank.

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If
not
for good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough
current to
[...]

What's the point getting half the capacity to save £4? It's an older drive
as well.

--
Derek

Old April 24th 05, 02:23 PM
Neil Barras

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

OK...I'll go with the 80Gig DiamondMax. I have realised I can knock it
under £300 by dropping the Novatech PCI Wireless G card, and Case Fan. The
reason I did this was because I remembered Windows XPs built in ICS. If
using a CrossOver Cat5, connected to my wireless laptop and to desktop,
would that suffice as a network connection for the time being?

Cheers for putting up with me :-P

Neil

Old April 24th 05, 04:16 PM
Timbertea

Derek Baker wrote:
"Derek Baker" wrote in message

What's the point getting half the capacity to save £4? It's an older drive
as well.

Spent the $7 or so and get the Hitachi 80GB. You will get a lot better
performance out of it. Nothing wrong with going SATA either. The first
ones had a few bugs (in particular many bugs with raid that was due to
the chipsets and Sata being a moving target of a standard for a year and
some), the current crop don't seem to have those problems on current
chipsets.