FSB on AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Old April 23rd 05, 08:20 PM
Strings

"Warning Results not Typical"
$20 600w 24/7 (laugh!)

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.17.57.25.428900@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:28:51 -0700, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:22:06 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You were doing great right up to the point where you died.

So you think a 300W as he was going to buy is big enough? I don't think
so. And i'm very much alive as is the PSU I've been using over a year now
on it.

Old April 23rd 05, 10:09 PM
Neil Barras

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.18.14.38.112111@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:59:56 +0100, Derek Baker wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You're a comedian Wes. D

Yep, and I laugh all the way to the bank.

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If not
for good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough current to
even boot a K8 system. AMD tech support recommended a minimum of 475W.

Link?

My 400W that's been running my K7 system for years now would freeze the
K8
system after about a minute and sometimes it wouldn't even post.

With the PSUs you buy, I'm not surprised.

The cheap 600W has been running it for over a year now 24/7.

--
Derek

OK guys...To settle all this down a bit, I'll show you the BareBones Bundle:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?BB-6430BUB

You'll probably come back advising against this, but I feel its great value
for my money...Considering I'm only 15! (Yep, that's right...I'm a 15 year
old Geek....And proud!)

I am thinking of coupling it with a Hitachi 80GB drive (Or would you say
40GB would be enough?), a DVD-Rom available for free from my Saturday Job
and the FX5500 from my other PC (Family system, hence I am going to buy my
own.).

Thanks,

Neil

Old April 23rd 05, 10:18 PM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a review of the board:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2.../index.x?pg=11

I'd say get at least 80GB for the HD.

--
Derek

Old April 23rd 05, 10:22 PM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

As to your original question about the PSU, as it comes with the CPU it
should be okay assuming you don't load it up with too much stuff.

--
Derek

Old April 23rd 05, 10:32 PM
Neil Barras

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the Review...Very helpful. I realised from it that the Hard
Drive connection is SATA...Is SATA proven to be OK yet?

Old April 23rd 05, 10:49 PM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have SATA yet, but millions are using it. The board has PATA as well
though.

--
Derek

Old April 24th 05, 01:09 AM
Yadayada

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You're a comedian Wes. D

Yep, and I laugh all the way to the bank.

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If not
for good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough current to
even boot a K8 system.

My first A64 desktop was built using an older case with an older 250W power
supply in it. It ran flawlessly. The only reason I replaced was because I
needed to buy another one to put some old parts together for another
machine. It is a 300W and also runs flawlessly. As a side note, I have a
notebook running off a 90W power supply. That same power supply not only
powers the computer, but also the LCD. Granted, the parts are designed to
draw much less energy, but just used as another example. Bottom line, a K8
system will perform fine with a 300W power supply, if you don't have 6 HDs
and 4 optical drives working all the time . My video card isn't the
newest, power hungry model, but this is the setup I used a 250W and
currently a 300W PS with: 2HDs, 2 optical drives, a 3000+, and a Ti4600.
Probably the reason you were having trouble with your 400W is that it was
also a cheap 400W. I'll put a good 300/350 power supply up against a cheap
600W any day.

Old April 24th 05, 01:13 AM
Yadayada

wrote:

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You were doing great right up to the point where you died.

So you think a 300W as he was going to buy is big enough?

Without seeing the actual specs on the Power supply, it is hard to say. But
if it isn't an el cheapo 300W, it will most likely be fine. The overall
rating of a power supply (300W, 350W, 400W, etc) is a useless rating if it's
actual ability. The individual rail ratings are far more important.

Old April 24th 05, 03:06 AM
Strings

Your correct quality before misguided ratings
A 350w Enermax has more stability and quality than any 600w $20 junker.

Old April 24th 05, 09:51 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:44:57 +0100, Derek Baker wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough current to
even boot a K8 system. AMD tech support recommended a minimum of 475W.

Link?

There is no link. This was an email from AMD tech support to an inquiry
about a PSU to use. The person that conducted this transaction posted the
email in one of the AMD newsgroups. I think it was this one, but I don't
recall for sure. It may have been the overclocking group.

My 400W that's been running my K7 system for years now would freeze the
K8 system after about a minute and sometimes it wouldn't even post.

With the PSUs you buy, I'm not surprised.

This particular 400W PSU would not have been one I would have bought by
itself. It came with a system I bought. And while it's been running my K7
system a few years, it's probaly not really a 400W PSU, as the only label
on it only had 400W on it. No other name, no nothing. At the time, I
wasn't concerned with the PSU. I got the case/psu, ASrock K7S8X MB, 1800+
XP cpu, and a good cooler all new for $50.:-)