FSB on AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Old April 22nd 05, 10:25 PM
Neil Barras

Default FSB on AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Hi all,

I'm looking at the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for my next PC. I have heard that
AMD's win in the gaming sector, which is what this system would be for, as I
have my New Laptop and Desktop (See Sig.) for other multimedia uses. My 2
questions a

1) The FSBs on P4s are apparently quad pumped...meaning that a 400MHz FSB
shows as 100MHz. Is this the case with the AMD chips? The FSB on the chip
I am looking at says 400MHz, but I have also read that Athlons have upto a
2GHz FSB? That's what got me confused...so any lights in the fog would be
appreciated. :-)

2) Would I notice a difference between my current P4 Desktop, and this new
rig?

Specs for new PC:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (I think it's a Barton core? 512KB L2?) @ 2.0/2.1GHz
512MB DDR 3200 400MHz RAM
80GB HDD
256MB XFX GeForce5500 (To be taken from Desktop...Til' I get new Gfx.)
Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

Thanks,

Neil

--
Desktop = P4 Northwood @ 2.6GHz, 512MB PC2100, 120GB HD, 256MB XFX
GeForce5500, Stock 350w PSU

Old April 22nd 05, 10:38 PM
Derek Baker

"Neil Barras" wrote in message
[...]

1) The memory bus is 200Mhz with DDR400 DRAM. The 2Ghz is wrong. The
hypertransport bus that connects to the chipset runs, on the latest models,
at 1 megatransactions per second and is 16bits wide giving *2GB/sec*.

2) Hard to say. The Athlon 64 would be less of a bottleneck for a future
graphics card.

Barton is an Athlon *XP* core. The Athlon *64* cores with 512KB L2 are
Newcastle, Winchester and Venice.

--
Derek

Old April 22nd 05, 10:40 PM
Derek Baker

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Make that 1 *giga*transaction per second.

--
Derek

Old April 23rd 05, 06:22 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

I'm looking at the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for my next PC. I have heard that
AMD's win in the gaming sector, which is what this system would be for, as I
have my New Laptop and Desktop (See Sig.) for other multimedia uses. My 2
questions a

1) The FSBs on P4s are apparently quad pumped...meaning that a 400MHz FSB
shows as 100MHz. Is this the case with the AMD chips? The FSB on the chip
I am looking at says 400MHz, but I have also read that Athlons have upto a
2GHz FSB? That's what got me confused...so any lights in the fog would be
appreciated. :-)

Yes, the P4's are quad data rate (QDR), so a 100MHz FSB gives it a 400Mbps
data rate per line (not MHz even though that's what they call it). All IO
goes over the FSB on the P4. The A64's FSB is double data rate (DDR), but
also has a seperate memory bus so memory data has it's own seperate bus
direct to the cpu core which makes access to it quite a bit faster. All
other IO still goes over the FSB to the chipset northbridge but no longer
has to compete with memory accesses which gives it faster access also.
With the memory gone, it's really not very critical speed wise any more,
but it is still a lot faster than previous FSB technology. It uses a
serial HT link which can be clocked as high as 1000MHz and uses DDR. For
info on the new HT technology read this.

http://www.hypertransport.org/consortium/cons_faqs.cfm

2) Would I notice a difference between my current P4 Desktop, and this
new rig?

Depends on what you are doing. You can find benchmarks all over the place
to compare the speed.

Specs for new PC:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (I think it's a Barton core? 512KB L2?) @ 2.0/2.1GHz

Bartons are K7's, not K8 cores.

512MB DDR 3200 400MHz RAM
80GB HDD
256MB XFX GeForce5500 (To be taken from Desktop...Til' I get new Gfx.)
Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

Old April 23rd 05, 07:28 AM
simple minds

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:22:06 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You were doing great right up to the point where you died.

Old April 23rd 05, 12:06 PM
Strings

Warning "Results not Typical"
Don't even think of using his recommended $20 junk power supply despite his
antidotes on how good they are for him. "Use Common Sense" a $20 600w is
like saying a Brand new car 400hp only $5000 and equal to similar rated cars
with 400hp like a Viper but what you get is golf cart disguised as a car
with a big sticker claiming 400hp, if you pop the hood its a lawn mower
motor.
Read the links attached before choosing a PS. The Truth About Power Supplies
is, Most all look the same although some of them come in eye candy cases
designed to blind buyers common sense and prevent questions of quality. Most
boast unattainable claims of wattage ratings to increase sales by
unsophisticated buyers.
The power supply is the foundation of your PC it does not get as much
consideration as the dazzling parts such as the CPU MHz, Drive speed, gobs
of memory. But the power supply is the most important part of your system so
when it's time to buy a power supply it is essential that you know the
difference between a good or great power supply and one that is marginally
adequate or overrated and $20 600w. Most buyers tend to overlook the
importance of the power supply, but these buyers are declining with the
spread of knowledge on the net. Your power supply is more than just a box
with wires that you plug into a wall. Now that machines are becoming more
extreme or fast they demand increasing amounts of "quality reliable power"
(not $18 ones) buyers can no longer ignore the importance your power supply
plays in your systems reliability.

http://compreviews.about.com/cs/case.../aabybpsus.htm
http://www.amdboard.com/psu.html
http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011012/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html
http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Make sure your supply has
Certified compliant for AMDT and Intel® ATX 12V
Over Voltage Protection
Under Voltage Protection
Over Load Protection
Over Current Protection
Over Temperature Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Detective sensor output
Low Noise & Ripple
Hi-pot tested
Certified EMI Approvals: FCC, UL, CUL, CSA, CE (Minimum)

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

...........................repeted items sniped

Old April 23rd 05, 01:59 PM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

You're a comedian Wes. D

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If not for
good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

--
Derek

Old April 23rd 05, 06:56 PM
Wes Newell

wrote:

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You were doing great right up to the point where you died.

So you think a 300W as he was going to buy is big enough? I don't think
so. And i'm very much alive as is the PSU I've been using over a year now
on it.

Old April 23rd 05, 07:14 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:59:56 +0100, Derek Baker wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You're a comedian Wes. D

Yep, and I laugh all the way to the bank.

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If not
for good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough current to
even boot a K8 system. AMD tech support recommended a minimum of 475W. My
400W that's been running my K7 system for years now would freeze the K8
system after about a minute and sometimes it wouldn't even post.. The
cheap 600W has been running it for over a year now 24/7.

Old April 23rd 05, 07:44 PM
Derek Baker

newsan.2005.04.23.18.14.38.112111@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.23.05.22.28.712249@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:25:26 +0000, Neil Barras wrote:

Stock 300w PSU (Is this OK for now?)

That PSU isn't big enough for the K8. I'm using a $20 600W on mine.

You're a comedian Wes. D

Yep, and I laugh all the way to the bank.

To the OP: try the 300w, if the line ratings are okay it'll work. If not
for good's sake buy something several times as expensive as $20.

I don't think you'll find many (if any) 300W PSU's with anough current to
even boot a K8 system. AMD tech support recommended a minimum of 475W.

Link?

My 400W that's been running my K7 system for years now would freeze the K8
system after about a minute and sometimes it wouldn't even post.

With the PSUs you buy, I'm not surprised.