powernow on amd64

Old March 26th 05, 03:56 PM
zzipper

I'd say enable CnQ and you might not even know your system is on :-) I have
it running (3200 Winchester on Asus A8V, Antec 2650BWE with a Sonata PSU)
and the first couple of days I had to look to see if it was on because I
accidentally turned it off twice when I'd gone away for a few minutes,
forgot I'd left it on. Compared to my previous system (same case, PSU but
P4P800 with a 2.6C P4, stock cooler with Asus Q-Fan at lowest setting) it is
virtually silent. I run about 70% of the time at 1000, the response time to
full speed when it's needed it almost instantaneous. It's a heck of a lot
faster to respond than SpeedStep on my laptop at work. I'm impressed, it's a
good feature. Heat kills semi-conductors so the less heat they endure the
longer they last.

"Vermyndax" wrote in message
With Cool'n'Quiet disabled in my BIOS, the CPU temp runs at about
105-111'F. The fan noise doesn't bother me... I'm using a stock cooler
that came in the Athlon retail package and an Antec P160 case.
Honestly, the fan noise is less than the p3-733 sitting next to me.

--JM

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It makes a huge difference, 99% of the time the CPU will be running at
it's lowest clock speed which reduces the power enough so that the CPU
fan
isn't needed.

Old March 26th 05, 08:34 PM
Hierophant

"zzipper" wrote in message
. ..
I'd say enable CnQ and you might not even know your system is on :-) I
have it running (3200 Winchester on Asus A8V, Antec 2650BWE with a Sonata
PSU) and the first couple of days I had to look to see if it was on
because I accidentally turned it off twice when I'd gone away for a few
minutes, forgot I'd left it on. Compared to my previous system (same case,
PSU but P4P800 with a 2.6C P4, stock cooler with Asus Q-Fan at lowest
setting) it is virtually silent. I run about 70% of the time at 1000, the
response time to full speed when it's needed it almost instantaneous. It's
a heck of a lot faster to respond than SpeedStep on my laptop at work. I'm
impressed, it's a good feature. Heat kills semi-conductors so the less
heat they endure the longer they last.

I agree. I have yet tofind a reason to not have it enabled. The specifics
are on AMD's site on the response time but I don't remember offhand how fast
it was. It was something to the effect of as often as 30 times per SECOND
though . Cool'n'Quiet and PowerNow! are both very efficient and
unnoticeable in application.

Old March 28th 05, 04:24 PM
Vermyndax

Well, alrighty, you guys did a good job of convincing me to give it a
shot. I'll play with it tonight... especially since WinXP 64-bit may be
coming out today

--JM

Hierophant wrote:
. ..

Old March 29th 05, 02:27 PM
Vermyndax

Hmmm... okie, I've enabled Cool'N'Quiet in the BIOS but it doesn't seem
there has been an effect on my CPU temperature, it's remained the same.
Do I need to load the Cool'N'Quiet software as well? I didn't because
it says it's only for Windows 2000 and below...

--JM
Old March 29th 05, 03:32 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:27:21 -0600, Vermyndax wrote:

Hmmm... okie, I've enabled Cool'N'Quiet in the BIOS but it doesn't seem
there has been an effect on my CPU temperature, it's remained the same.
Do I need to load the Cool'N'Quiet software as well?

Yes.

I didn't because it says it's only for Windows 2000 and below...

Then get the one for your OS/version.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

Old March 29th 05, 04:19 PM
Vermyndax

Wes Newell wrote:
Yes.

Then get the one for your OS/version.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

That page does not have a Cool'N'Quiet software for Windows XP, only
Windows 2000 and below, like I said. I have the AMD processor driver
from that page loaded.

--JM
Old March 29th 05, 05:46 PM
Derek Baker

"Vermyndax" wrote in message
Wes Newell wrote:
Yes.

Then get the one for your OS/version.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

That page does not have a Cool'N'Quiet software for Windows XP, only
Windows 2000 and below, like I said. I have the AMD processor driver
from that page loaded.

I see two on that page for XP though they don't actually say Cool'n'Quiet:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../cpudriver.EXE
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP

--
Derek

Old March 29th 05, 05:57 PM
Vermyndax

Derek Baker wrote:
I see two on that page for XP though they don't actually say Cool'n'Quiet:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../cpudriver.EXE
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP

That's the CPU driver and I already have that one loaded.

--JM

Old March 29th 05, 06:12 PM
Derek Baker

"Vermyndax" wrote in message
Derek Baker wrote:
I see two on that page for XP though they don't actually say
Cool'n'Quiet:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../cpudriver.EXE
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP

That's the CPU driver and I already have that one loaded.

And it's still not working?

--
Derek

Old March 29th 05, 06:41 PM
Vermyndax

Derek Baker wrote:

And it's still not working?

I don't know if it is or not. I don't really have any proof of it
working one way or the other because there was no software... it was
just a processor driver for WinXP. My temperature on the CPU didn't
lower (or raise, for that matter) and I don't seem to have any software
loaded that can tell me what it's doing.

--JM