powernow on amd64

Old March 25th 05, 08:39 AM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, RT exclaimed (3/24/2005 8:26 PM):
"Vermyndax" wrote in message

I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

--JM

Does it have anything to do with your processors health?

I just upgraded and I was thinking of using it at nights when I download,
little CPU power is needed and with summer coming it might heat up the room
less (or less chance of overheating).

New AMD 64 user

The cooler your processor, the better it's 'health'. Theoretically, the
cooler you keep the processor, the longer it will last.

On my machine, Cool-and-Quiet lowered the proc temperature by about 5c,
from 40c to 35c (AMD 300+ 64 on a K8V Deluxe).

jmc

Old March 25th 05, 12:01 PM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.25.01.05.38.453525@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:47:56 +0000, Derek Baker wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.24.20.54.51.940087@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:05:23 -0600, Vermyndax wrote:

I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I
switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

By itself Cool N Quiet does nothing. But it has to be enabled to run
powernow, which is the ability to lower vcore and multiplier while
running. Th lowest setting on mine is , which it runs at
least
95% of the time. When under a load it will jump to and when
over under heavy load it will set the cpu vcore to default (1.5v) and
raise the multuplier to default 10, on mine, for 2000MHz. The actual
speed
is determined by the FSB x multiplier. So if I had the FSB set to 210,
the
speeds would be 840,1890, and 2100MHz. With a cooler that automatically
adjust fan speed, it would keep the fan speed down u at low settings
when
the cpu is at low speed, and raise fan speed when running max. With just
plain cooler, the speed never changes and it doesn't get any quieter
unless you have software speed control like qfan or something.

You don't have to have a smart cooler, some (all?) motherboards will
control
the fan speed; my K8N Neo does.

I think that's exactly what I said. And the answer to your "(all?)' is no,
not all do. How many do I don't know. Probably 50% or less.

Not exactly.

--
Derek

Old March 25th 05, 02:54 PM
Keith S.

Is cool and quiet a propert of the CPU or the motherboard?

The reason I ask is that Asus motherboards advertise cool 'n quiet, while
some others do not (Gigabit I believe)

To get cool 'n quiet, one must select the correct motherboard?

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:05:23 -0600, Vermyndax wrote:

I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

--JM

It makes a huge difference, 99% of the time the CPU will be running at
it's lowest clock speed which reduces the power enough so that the CPU fan
isn't needed.

Old March 25th 05, 03:17 PM
Derek Baker

"Keith S." wrote in message
[...]

AFAIK it's a property of the CPU.

--
Derek

Old March 25th 05, 05:11 PM
Hierophant

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.25.01.05.38.453525@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
| On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:47:56 +0000, Derek Baker wrote:
|
| "Wes Newell" wrote in message
| newsan.2005.03.24.20.54.51.940087@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
| On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:05:23 -0600, Vermyndax wrote:
|
| speeds would be 840,1890, and 2100MHz. With a cooler that automatically
| adjust fan speed, it would keep the fan speed down u at low settings
when
| the cpu is at low speed, and raise fan speed when running max. With
just a
| plain cooler, the speed never changes and it doesn't get any quieter
| unless you have software speed control like qfan or something.
|

| You don't have to have a smart cooler, some (all?) motherboards will
control
| the fan speed; my K8N Neo does.
|
| I think that's exactly what I said. And the answer to your "(all?)' is no,
| not all do. How many do I don't know. Probably 50% or less.

Actually, exactly what you said (you even quoted it in the reply) was "With
a cooler that automatically
adjust fan speed, it would keep the fan speed down u at low settings when
the cpu is at low speed, and raise fan speed when running max. With just a
plain cooler, the speed never changes and it doesn't get any quieter
unless you have software speed control like qfan or something."

Derek is speaking of motherboards that will throttle the fanspeeds on a
normal fan for you, without the use of software.

Old March 25th 05, 11:33 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:11:39 -0500, Hierophant wrote:

Actually, exactly what you said (you even quoted it in the reply) was "With
a cooler that automatically
adjust fan speed, it would keep the fan speed down u at low settings when
the cpu is at low speed, and raise fan speed when running max. With just a
plain cooler, the speed never changes and it doesn't get any quieter
unless you have software speed control like qfan or something."

Derek is speaking of motherboards that will throttle the fanspeeds on a
normal fan for you, without the use of software.

There are no such MB's that I know of. All are controlled in one way or
another by the bios, which is software. They also must be harware capable
of reducing the voltage to the fan. One could design a MB using
hardware to do this, but without software control to turn it on/off,
adjust speed, etc., I wouldn't want one. So afaik, all MB's with the
capability of fan control use software to control it's function in one way
or another. perhaps I just didn't make it clear earlier. And if there is a
MB that works without software, with no way to control it, I stand
corrected.

Old March 26th 05, 12:09 AM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.25.22.35.29.362762@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
[...]

If it's done by the motherboard, even if via the BIOS, I consider that
hardware rather than software.

--
Derek

Old March 26th 05, 01:35 AM
Hierophant

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.25.22.35.29.362762@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:11:39 -0500, Hierophant wrote:

If it's done by the motherboard, even if via the BIOS, I consider that
hardware rather than software.

It is technically still software if it is BIOS controlled. He is just trying
to cover his tracks. Some people don't like being corrected.

Old March 26th 05, 06:04 AM
Vermyndax

With Cool'n'Quiet disabled in my BIOS, the CPU temp runs at about
105-111'F. The fan noise doesn't bother me... I'm using a stock cooler
that came in the Athlon retail package and an Antec P160 case.
Honestly, the fan noise is less than the p3-733 sitting next to me.

--JM

Old March 26th 05, 09:37 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:35:06 -0500, Hierophant wrote:

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
If it's done by the motherboard, even if via the BIOS, I consider that
hardware rather than software.

It is technically still software if it is BIOS controlled. He is just trying
to cover his tracks. Some people don't like being corrected.

I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong or make a mistake. But in this
case I was neither. Although I'll admit I didn't fully explain the speed
control function in my first post. I didn't think it was needed. So I
guess I was wrong there.:-)