WinXP-64 and Athlon64

Old February 11th 05, 02:13 PM
Dee

J.Venning wrote:
"Dee" wrote in message

I would suggest you uninstall WinRAR until you're done with the .ISO. The
file from Microsoft is a .ISO file. I have downloaded all the Win x64
files and they have always been .ISO files. Many, Many people have
problems with WinRAR because it associates a .ISO file as an archived
file. A .ISO is not an archive file, it is a mirror image of the original
CD and the only process that should be done once it is on your computer is
to Burn, Copy, or Write "Image to Disk." Nothing else. I guarantee it
will work. I have downloaded and burned image to disk, both CD and DVD,
hundreds of times. The only failures I have encountered was when the
downloaded files was corrupted due to transmission and/or write to disk
problems.

Just did that, and guess what? Same difference. I burned the ISO file
directly onto the CD without opening it, and the contents are identical with
the one I burned after having opened the*.rar file and then burned it
(543Mb). I guess I'll have to live with the fact that I thought I bought a
64-bit computer, but in reality, it's still a 32-bit machine. I did pump in
2Gb of RAM into it though, so that helps, speed-wise. Thank you, Michael and
Dee: it was really very kind of you both to try and solve my unsolvable
problem. I'll be going to the U.S. this summer, and maybe by that time
they'll issue a commercial version of the XP 64.
J.

Go to the following URL:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

and download the first item on the list. It's a .MSI file. Right click
on the file and Install it. After it has installed, right click on the
..ISO and you will see an option to burn it to CD.

Old February 11th 05, 10:24 PM
J.Venning

Hi, Guys! I thought I'd let you know that I managed to make it work -
after a bit of sneaky manoeuvring though. I inserted the installation CD
from the original package and set it to install a fresh XP system, but just
before it could react, I took out that CD and replaced it with the one on
which I burned the 64-bit system, and it accepted it ! I am now running on
XP Pro x64 Edition ! Wheeee ! Two last questions - what happens after 360
days and Microsoft hasn't put it on the market? How do you get rid of the
annoying message at the bottom left-hand corner telling you that this is
"Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Evaluation copy, Built 3790 (Service
Pack 1, v1289) " ?
J.

Old February 11th 05, 11:43 PM
Dee

J.Venning wrote:

Hi, Guys! I thought I'd let you know that I managed to make it work -
after a bit of sneaky manoeuvring though. I inserted the installation CD
from the original package and set it to install a fresh XP system, but just
before it could react, I took out that CD and replaced it with the one on
which I burned the 64-bit system, and it accepted it ! I am now running on
XP Pro x64 Edition ! Wheeee ! Two last questions - what happens after 360
days and Microsoft hasn't put it on the market? How do you get rid of the
annoying message at the bottom left-hand corner telling you that this is
"Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Evaluation copy, Built 3790 (Service
Pack 1, v1289) " ?
J.

At the end of the 360 day trial period it will first tell you the trial
period is up and then within 2 hours your computer will shutdown!

Old February 12th 05, 03:43 AM
Rod Williams

Peter Tran wrote:
Hi,

I've got a Athlon64 3200+ and wanted to know if it would be worth it to
download the WinXP-64 beta release from Microsoft?

1) First question is, does the new OS also require 64-bit drivers for all
my periphs? Will the 32-bit drivers also work?

2) Second question, although the OS will be 64-bit will my 32-bit programs
run any faster on it? Or will my 32-bit programs actually run slower on a
64-bit OS?

Since all my apps are currently 32-bit, I don't really see any need to move
to a 64-bit OS if my programs won't run any faster. Any comments would be
appreciated. Thanks.

All you will be doing is trouble shooting another Microsoft piece of
garbage for them, so they can then come back and make you buy it when it
is released. If they gave you a final copy, for doing their work for
them, I might not have as much of a problem.
Old February 12th 05, 12:55 PM
J.Venning

"Dee" wrote in message
At the end of the 360 day trial period it will first tell you the trial
period is up and then within 2 hours your computer will shutdown!

Ugh! Just encountered the first clash - Norton IS clashes with the
built-in firewall, and since this version cannot be updated with anything,
let alone SP 2, I can't use Norton IS.
J.

Old February 12th 05, 07:03 PM
J.Venning

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
The crack would be available in the warez groups, if at all, NOT in a
group like this.

I thought as much, but then, one of the fellas here might have been be a
warez or an eDonkey fan. Thanks.
J.