WinXP-64 and Athlon64

Old February 11th 05, 11:47 AM
Michael Paul

J.Venning wrote:
"Michael Paul" wrote:
... (snip) .. How did you burn the CD? You should use the "burn
image"-option of you CD burning software.

Thank you for taking the trouble of answering my questions -
I really appreciate it. The file from Microsoft came as a *.rar file,
which I unpacked and burned onto a CD.

That is very strange, really. Normally that should be an .ISO-Image,
not any RAR-archive (and for MS did invent .CAB, there is no need in
using RAR, although I have seen some official MS Downloads that were
packed with Winzip).
Double klicking on the .ISO file should automatically fire up your
CD-ROM burning software.

Did you use the link MS provided in the mail they sent you after
registration or did you try downloading from other sources?
At that point I have to admit that I haven't downloaded the XP64
package.

This will not boot with my computer, although
a dialogue comes up when I insert the CD, saying that this version of
Windows can only be installed by booting off the CD.

That dialogue comes up, when you are running Windows?

Obviously I have to do a setting or two to enable the computer
to accept the CD. Something in the Bios, perhaps?

The only important BIOS setting is "Boot from CD-ROM first". You have
to check the Boot Options in your BIOS setup.
A standard Windows install CD will then request you to hit a key in
order to boot from that media instead of booting from HDD.

Michael

Old February 11th 05, 11:55 AM
Michael Paul

Michael Paul wrote:
J.Venning wrote:
(snip) The file from Microsoft came as a *.rar file,
which I unpacked and burned onto a CD.

I just registered for download at microsoft.com. The e-mail I received
a few minutes later points me to an .ISO file, that should be ready to
be burned onto a CD-ROM. If you really got some .RAR-archive then there
something went really wrong. Or you chose the wrong source...

Michael

Old February 11th 05, 12:26 PM
J.Venning

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just registered for download at microsoft.com. The e-mail I received
a few minutes later points me to an .ISO file, that should be ready to
be burned onto a CD-ROM. If you really got some .RAR-archive then there
something went really wrong. Or you chose the wrong source...
Michael

Thank you for your willingness to help and patience, Michael. I went to
this newsgroup last night, and found at the beginning of this thread, a link
to download the XP 64, which I did. I first had to apply and register with
Microsoft for them to e-mail me the link. After having received the link, I
managed to download the file in nearly two hours' time. The downloaded file
came as a *.rar file, even though they advertised its being an ISO file. I
did not go to any other source, and neither did I tamper with the download.
Curiouser and curiouser. What I should do now is to find out how to change
my system to operate with the 64-bit info contained in the CD. Here I am,
thinking that I would be using something really advanced by buying the
Scaleo T 64-bit computer, when I could do much better with a P4 with over
3GHz.
J.

Old February 11th 05, 12:42 PM
J.Venning

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
ups.com...
This will not boot with my computer, although
a dialogue comes up when I insert the CD, saying that this version of
Windows can only be installed by booting off the CD.

That dialogue comes up, when you are running Windows?

It sure does - every single time.

The only important BIOS setting is "Boot from CD-ROM first". You have
to check the Boot Options in your BIOS setup.
A standard Windows install CD will then request you to hit a key in
order to boot from that media instead of booting from HDD.

Done that - no effect. It simply just won't play ball with me.
J.

Old February 11th 05, 12:46 PM
Dee

J.Venning wrote:
[...]

I would suggest you uninstall WinRAR until you're done with the .ISO.
The file from Microsoft is a .ISO file. I have downloaded all the Win
x64 files and they have always been .ISO files. Many, Many people have
problems with WinRAR because it associates a .ISO file as an archived
file. A .ISO is not an archive file, it is a mirror image of the
original CD and the only process that should be done once it is on your
computer is to Burn, Copy, or Write "Image to Disk." Nothing else. I
guarantee it will work. I have downloaded and burned image to disk,
both DC and DVD, hundreds of times. The only failures I have
encountered was when the downloaded files was corrupted to to
transmission and/or write to disk problems.

Old February 11th 05, 12:53 PM
Dee

J.Venning wrote:

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
ups.com...

... (snip) .. How did you burn the CD? You should use the "burn
image"-option of you CD burning software.
hth,
Michael

Thank you for taking the trouble of answering my questions - I really
appreciate it. The file from Microsoft came as a *.rar file, which I
unpacked and burned onto a CD. This will not boot with my computer, although
a dialogue comes up when I insert the CD, saying that this version of
Windows can only be installed by booting off the CD. When I tried opening it
from the CD, a dialogue comes up saying that this is not a valid Win32
application. Obviously I have to do a setting or two to enable the computer
to accept the CD. Something in the Bios, perhaps?
J.

I would suggest you uninstall WinRAR until you're done with the .ISO.
The file from Microsoft is a .ISO file. I have downloaded all the Win
x64 files and they have always been .ISO files. Many, Many people have
problems with WinRAR because it associates a .ISO file as an archived
file. A .ISO is not an archive file, it is a mirror image of the
original CD and the only process that should be done once it is on your
computer is to Burn, Copy, or Write "Image to Disk." Nothing else. I
guarantee it will work. I have downloaded and burned image to disk,
both CD and DVD, hundreds of times. The only failures I have
encountered was when the downloaded files was corrupted due to
transmission and/or write to disk problems.

Old February 11th 05, 12:56 PM
Michael Paul

J.Venning wrote:
"Michael Paul" wrote:
I just registered for download at microsoft.com. The e-mail
I received a few minutes later points me to an .ISO file,
that should be ready to be burned onto a CD-ROM. If you really
got some .RAR-archive then there something went really wrong.

Thank you for your willingness to help and patience, Michael.
I went to this newsgroup last night, and found at the beginning
of this thread, a link to download the XP 64, which I did. I first
had to apply and register with Microsoft for them to e-mail me
the link.

Okay, that seems to be right.

After having received the link, I
managed to download the file in nearly two hours' time.

How large is that file? According to MS it should be roughly about
500MB.

The downloaded file came as a *.rar file,
even though they advertised its being an ISO file.

Strange. Maybe you were tricked by your browser, download manager or
even an installed version of WinRAR or similar. And that RAR-archive,
does this contain just one .ISO-file or are there lots of files?
Try the following: rename that RAR file into .ISO and try burning it
onto a rewritable CD. So you don't lose any media if I was wrong with
my assumption.

What I should do now is to find out how to change
my system to operate with the 64-bit info contained in the CD.

Well, that is not just "info", the CD contains an evaluation copy (not
yet ready to be sold to any customer) of a complete XP64. That version
is not intended to be used regularly, only for evaluation and testing.
And it expires after 360 days.

Here I am, thinking that I would be using something really
advanced by buying the Scaleo T 64-bit computer,

Just advertizing;-)
It's just the CPU that supports 64bit. But the machine is really fast
even running 32bit OS.

If you really want to _work_ with an 64bit OS you have either
- to wait another year until WindowsXP64 is ready to market or
- install Linux for x86-64

when I could do much better with a P4 with over 3GHz.

Not really. The AMD has roughly the same power at much lower CPU
frequency. That means, lower power consumption and much less heat
compared to a P4. My 3000+ Winchester normally operates at temperatures
between about 36C and 48C (full load). And the cool-n-quiet-feature is
really great!

Michael

Old February 11th 05, 01:01 PM
J.Venning

"Dee" wrote in message
I would suggest you uninstall WinRAR until you're done with the .ISO. The
file from Microsoft is a .ISO file. I have downloaded all the Win x64
files and they have always been .ISO files. Many, Many people have
problems with WinRAR because it associates a .ISO file as an archived
file. A .ISO is not an archive file, it is a mirror image of the original
CD and the only process that should be done once it is on your computer is
to Burn, Copy, or Write "Image to Disk." Nothing else. I guarantee it
will work. I have downloaded and burned image to disk, both DC and DVD,
hundreds of times. The only failures I have encountered was when the
downloaded files was corrupted to to transmission and/or write to disk
problems.

Thanks - will do. Here goes.
J.

Old February 11th 05, 01:32 PM
J.Venning

"Dee" wrote in message
I would suggest you uninstall WinRAR until you're done with the .ISO. The
file from Microsoft is a .ISO file. I have downloaded all the Win x64
files and they have always been .ISO files. Many, Many people have
problems with WinRAR because it associates a .ISO file as an archived
file. A .ISO is not an archive file, it is a mirror image of the original
CD and the only process that should be done once it is on your computer is
to Burn, Copy, or Write "Image to Disk." Nothing else. I guarantee it
will work. I have downloaded and burned image to disk, both CD and DVD,
hundreds of times. The only failures I have encountered was when the
downloaded files was corrupted due to transmission and/or write to disk
problems.

Just did that, and guess what? Same difference. I burned the ISO file
directly onto the CD without opening it, and the contents are identical with
the one I burned after having opened the*.rar file and then burned it
(543Mb). I guess I'll have to live with the fact that I thought I bought a
64-bit computer, but in reality, it's still a 32-bit machine. I did pump in
2Gb of RAM into it though, so that helps, speed-wise. Thank you, Michael and
Dee: it was really very kind of you both to try and solve my unsolvable
problem. I'll be going to the U.S. this summer, and maybe by that time
they'll issue a commercial version of the XP 64.
J.

Old February 11th 05, 01:47 PM
Michael Paul

J.Venning wrote:
"Dee" wrote:
I would suggest you uninstall WinRAR until you're done with the
.ISO. The file from Microsoft is a .ISO file. [...]

Just did that, and guess what? Same difference. I burned the
ISO file directly onto the CD without opening it,

How did you do that? It is recommended then to start your CD burning
application and select the option to load an image file.

and the contents are identical with the one I burned after having
opened the*.rar file and then burned it (543Mb).

And that CD didn't boot either?
You inserted that CD, shutdown your machine and fired it up again?

I guess I'll have to live with the fact that I thought I bought a
64-bit computer, but in reality, it's still a 32-bit machine.

In that case there should be a message complaining incomatible hardware
after you have booted your machine from that CD.
I think, there is another issue with your computer. Just try booting
another CD like Knoppix or your normal Windows CD. Does this work?
Or the media you have used are of poor quality, so it might help to use
other media.

If you want to find out what hardware your machine is built from, I'd
recommend Everest from Lavalys.com (formerly known as AIDA32).

Michael