WinXP-64 and Athlon64

Old January 25th 05, 01:58 AM
Peter Tran

Default WinXP-64 and Athlon64

Hi,

I've got a Athlon64 3200+ and wanted to know if it would be worth it to
download the WinXP-64 beta release from Microsoft?

1) First question is, does the new OS also require 64-bit drivers for all
my periphs? Will the 32-bit drivers also work?

2) Second question, although the OS will be 64-bit will my 32-bit programs
run any faster on it? Or will my 32-bit programs actually run slower on a
64-bit OS?

Since all my apps are currently 32-bit, I don't really see any need to move
to a 64-bit OS if my programs won't run any faster. Any comments would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Old January 25th 05, 02:09 AM
Dee

Peter Tran wrote:
Hi,

I've got a Athlon64 3200+ and wanted to know if it would be worth it to
download the WinXP-64 beta release from Microsoft?

1) First question is, does the new OS also require 64-bit drivers for all
my periphs? Will the 32-bit drivers also work?

2) Second question, although the OS will be 64-bit will my 32-bit programs
run any faster on it? Or will my 32-bit programs actually run slower on a
64-bit OS?

Since all my apps are currently 32-bit, I don't really see any need to move
to a 64-bit OS if my programs won't run any faster. Any comments would be
appreciated. Thanks.

If you are adventuresome and like to play with computer in particular,
then by all means get x64! RC1 is supposed to be available by the end
of the month.

1. -- Yes. You will need 64-bit drivers. 32-bit drivers will not work.

2. -- Most 32-bit programs actually run faster. The caveat to some
installations is if they use a 16-bit install program, or if they load
any 32-bit drivers, there will be problems.

At this point in time, there probably is not an overwhelming reason to
switch Win XP x64. However, once Win XP x64 is released and there
proves to be consumer interest, there will be more and more software
written and compiled for x64. Games will probably be among the very
first to do so since that show a significant improvement when optimized
for 64-bit.

Old January 31st 05, 09:53 PM
Black Shuck

Dee wrote:

If you are adventuresome and like to play with computer in particular,
then by all means get x64! RC1 is supposed to be available by the end
of the month.

RC1 has been available for CCP download for over a week now....
Old February 1st 05, 01:17 AM
Roger Swearingen

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RC1 now available for download:
https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp6...=winxp64&id=dl

Old February 1st 05, 02:28 AM
Ed Light

If you use something like booting ($35 US) then you can keep your present
system too, which is really the way to do it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old February 1st 05, 12:05 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:17:05 -0800, "Roger Swearingen"
wrote:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RC1 now available for download:
https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp6...=winxp64&id=dl

That thing free ? They seem to want a credit card billing address.

Lots of pages cannot be displayed too

Funny, when it's some kind of virus update, it downloads easily

Old February 11th 05, 06:19 AM
J.Venning

"Roger Swearingen" wrote in message
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RC1 now available for download:
https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp6...=winxp64&id=dl

Hi,
I'm really a newbie as far as the 64-bit processor is concerned. I've bought
a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo T with an Athlon 64 3200+ processor and dicovered
that it was running as a 32 bit processor with the disks that came with it.
So I've downloaded the XP x64 Edition from Microsoft and burned it onto a CD
ROM, but that won't boot. Would you please help me and tell me how I can
change the computer to run as a 64-bit ? Thanks in advance.
J.

Old February 11th 05, 08:31 AM
Michael Paul

J.Venning wrote:

Hi,
I'm really a newbie as far as the 64-bit processor is concerned.
I've bought a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo T with an Athlon 64 3200+
processor and dicovered that it was running as a 32 bit processor
with the disks that came with it.

That doesn't matter. Athlon64 ist fast enough even if a 32-bit OS is
run. My machine works fine running W2k SP4 :-)

So I've downloaded the XP x64 Edition from Microsoft

You know, that this is just a public beta that will work only 360 days?
Have you thougt about the limited availability of drivers and
applications for XP64? Have you read the instructions provided ba MS?

and burned it onto a CD ROM, but that won't boot.

How did you burn the CD? You should use the "burn image"-option of you
CD burning software.

Would you please help me and tell me how I can
change the computer to run as a 64-bit ?

If you just want to be beta tester, then read the manual of your CD
burning software in order to find out how to convert an .ISO image into
a real CD.
Else get some Linux distribution designed for 64bit.

hth,
Michael

Old February 11th 05, 08:38 AM
Michael Paul

J.Venning wrote:
"Roger Swearingen" wrote:
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RC1 now available for download:

snip
So I've downloaded the XP x64 Edition from Microsoft and burned it
onto a CD ROM, but that won't boot.

Just forgot: Read
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/upgrade.mspx
carefully. Also you will find a link that will advice you how to burn
the CD on that site.

Michael

Old February 11th 05, 10:13 AM
J.Venning

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
ups.com...
... (snip) .. How did you burn the CD? You should use the "burn
image"-option of you CD burning software.
hth,
Michael

Thank you for taking the trouble of answering my questions - I really
appreciate it. The file from Microsoft came as a *.rar file, which I
unpacked and burned onto a CD. This will not boot with my computer, although
a dialogue comes up when I insert the CD, saying that this version of
Windows can only be installed by booting off the CD. When I tried opening it
from the CD, a dialogue comes up saying that this is not a valid Win32
application. Obviously I have to do a setting or two to enable the computer
to accept the CD. Something in the Bios, perhaps?
J.