Advantages of going XP64

Old January 22nd 05, 01:43 PM
Black Shuck

Default Advantages of going XP64

Is there any benefits loading XP 64bit version instead of normal 32bit XP?

It seems driver support is less than complete. I only have 1GB of RAM
in my AMD64 3500+ system, so do not need the extended memory addressing.

Is there any other benefit of a 64bit operating system? or is it snake oil?
Old January 22nd 05, 01:46 PM
abc

Black Shuck wrote:
Is there any benefits loading XP 64bit version instead of normal 32bit XP?

Go linux instead. You'll have a real OS.
Old January 22nd 05, 02:03 PM
Black Shuck

abc got up from the bar and shouted: :
Black Shuck wrote:

Is there any benefits loading XP 64bit version instead of normal 32bit
XP?

Go linux instead. You'll have a real OS.

Already run Linux on my home server (a Gentoo box), but as a workstation
OS, Linux sucks badly. Perhaps in a few years it would be ready for
mainstream...

You did not however answer any part of the original question.....

Old January 22nd 05, 03:02 PM
abc

Black Shuck wrote:

Go linux instead. You'll have a real OS.

Already run Linux on my home server (a Gentoo box), but as a workstation
OS, Linux sucks badly.

Listen to me. Change your pusher asap. His dope will kill you soon.
Old January 22nd 05, 04:15 PM
Black Shuck

Black Shuck wrote:

Go linux instead. You'll have a real OS.

Already run Linux on my home server (a Gentoo box), but as a
workstation OS, Linux sucks badly.

Listen to me. Change your pusher asap. His dope will kill you soon.

Are you really saying Linux does not suck as a desktop operating
system... I think you are the one on crack...
Old January 22nd 05, 04:24 PM
abc

Black Shuck wrote:

Go linux instead. You'll have a real OS.

Already run Linux on my home server (a Gentoo box), but as a
workstation OS, Linux sucks badly.

Listen to me. Change your pusher asap. His dope will kill you soon.

Are you really saying Linux does not suck as a desktop operating
system... I think you are the one on crack...

There's a brand new drug downtown....
Old January 22nd 05, 04:36 PM
Lachoneus

Is there any benefits loading XP 64bit version instead of normal 32bit XP?

It seems driver support is less than complete. I only have 1GB of RAM
in my AMD64 3500+ system, so do not need the extended memory addressing.

Is there any other benefit of a 64bit operating system? or is it snake oil?

Even with just 1GB of physical RAM, you can benefit from the larger
address space available to each process--I've had a program I develop at
work fail to allocate memory due to address space fragmentation (i.e.,
no sufficiently large block of addresses) even though there was plenty
of physical memory available. This would not have been a problem in a
64-bit system.

Still, for most desktop applications, the increased memory headroom
might not offset the compatibility problems that still dog 64-bit
systems (both Windows and Linux).
Old January 22nd 05, 05:58 PM
Don Taylor

Black Shuck writes:
Is there any benefits loading XP 64bit version instead of normal 32bit XP?

It seems driver support is less than complete. I only have 1GB of RAM
in my AMD64 3500+ system, so do not need the extended memory addressing.

Is there any other benefit of a 64bit operating system? or is it snake oil?

Few applications today seem to have been designed or compiled to take
advantage of a 64 bit processor or os.

The latest version of Mathematica is an exception. You can find the
benchmark data out there, there are a couple of archives, showing the
gains Mathematica sees for some computationally intensive application
areas when running in a 64 bit os.

Sitting here waiting for a good Fry's sale on a 939 board and cpu.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:02 PM
Yousuf Khan

Black Shuck wrote:
Is there any benefits loading XP 64bit version instead of normal 32bit XP?

It seems driver support is less than complete. I only have 1GB of RAM
in my AMD64 3500+ system, so do not need the extended memory addressing.

Is there any other benefit of a 64bit operating system? or is it snake oil?

Well, in reality, there's nothing much that's a must-have yet. I assume
that your major question is whether there is any advantage in running
existing 32-bit applications under the 64-bit Windows? There are a few,
I'll list a few of them, and you can decide whether it's something that
you really need.

One advantage is that even though you may not have more RAM than is
addressable with a regular old 32-bit system, the 64-bit system is
capable of addressing way more virtual memory. For example in a 32-bit
system the virtual memory limit is 4GB, so with 1GB already installed
you're already very close to your virtual memory limit. In fact, you're
scarily close to that limit. The OS needs a little bit of swap space to
rearrange pages on the fly.

Another advantage to 32-bit apps is that they each get a full 4GB of
memory to themselves. In a 32-bit system, each app has to share the 4GB
with other programs, as well as the OS itself. In fact the 2GB of that
whole 4GB is reserved for just the OS itself (unless you start Windows
up in the /3GB mode, which limits the OS to 1GB and gives the apps 3GB).
In a 64-bit system, the OS exists completely outside of the 4GB limits,
and each 32-bit app sees its own personal 4GB of space. Also somewhat
related to this is that 32-bit programs that are large address-aware
(the ones that can take advantage of 3GB app spaces), now get 4GB
instead of just 3GB, which might make a difference to them.

Really, the only thing that keeps XP64 from being the no-brainer choice
is the lack of mature driver base. Everything else should be an
advantage to it.

Oh yes, there is also the problem with the fact that the very old 16-bit
Windows apps will now no longer work in XP64. They maintained 32-bit
backward compatibility, but they dumped the 16-bit compatibility. I
don't know why they did that, it shouldn't have been all that much
harder to implement it, but it was Microsoft's decision.

Yousuf Khan

Problem installing XP64 to IDE disk JasonB AMD x86-64 Processors 10 February 3rd 05 11:47 PM
Anyone using a K8NNXP /w Xp64? Blaedmon AMD x86-64 Processors 1 December 1st 04 09:25 PM
LCD Advantages? Mike245 General 6 August 22nd 04 09:00 PM
XP64 help Jim Baird AMD x86-64 Processors 6 April 20th 04 02:48 AM
question xp64 DougH AMD x86-64 Processors 0 March 17th 04 03:42 AM