Fans etc.

Old January 4th 05, 02:48 AM
Mac Cool

Bonj:

Any chance of answering the question that was asked, i.e. fans?

I answered your first question. The answer to your second question is
'no', if you take my advice. If you don't take my, and everyone else's
advice, and buy the cheapest case & PS that you can find, then the 2nd
question is impossible to answer without some familiarity with the case. I
read a post this morning from a guy who had stability problems, that he
replaced his El Cheapo PS with an Antec and his CPU temps dropped 10c.
--
Mac Cool
Old January 4th 05, 08:59 AM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:23:58 -0000, "Bonj" wrote:

Any chance of answering the question that was asked, i.e. fans?

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
Bonj:
Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries
about this configuration

Cheap power supplies can cause problems that are very difficult to
diagnose.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=270007
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=241132

budget version:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=241757
--
Mac Cool

Fans, brand Case- 2000RMP [ish ]:
- brand, 'Panaflow' or, ;
- Sanyo-Denki, or ;
- YS-TECH

PSU, brand :
- Fortron/Sparkle

N.B SilenX.com make a refined version of the Fortron/Sparkle with
better heatsinks capacitors and mofsets - this gives the 12V rail more
stability.

BoroLad
Old January 4th 05, 09:32 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:48:04 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

Bonj:

Any chance of answering the question that was asked, i.e. fans?

I answered your first question. The answer to your second question is
'no', if you take my advice. If you don't take my, and everyone else's
advice, and buy the cheapest case & PS that you can find, then the 2nd
question is impossible to answer without some familiarity with the case. I
read a post this morning from a guy who had stability problems, that he
replaced his El Cheapo PS with an Antec and his CPU temps dropped 10c.

Give me a f*cking break. If his temps dropped 10C then his cooler wasn't
on right to begin with or he had vcore set to high on the board or in the
bios. To actually atribute the drop in temps to the PSU is about the
wildest BS I've ever heard.

Old January 4th 05, 10:41 AM
Antoine Leca

En URaCd.45784$dv1.37805@edtnps89, String va escriu
If power supplies were cars your cheap 500w would be a Yugo I have
a Enermax 365w if a car a BMW5, so we load them both with 4 people
and luggage head on round trip coast to coast full throttle.

I know of too much people that had problems with their BMWs because these
cars had too much power available for the average driver, and they end
outside the road. Never heard of this kind of problem with Yugo.

Of course I'd prefer being in a BMW (or a Volvo or a Hummy, this not against
Germans) than in a Yugo if I crashed against a wall. But overall I prefer
NOT crashing.

Anyway your comparison is reversed. Better compare low-priced GTi (like R.5
GT turbo, injured/killed a lot; do not know U.S. equivalent) as cheap 500W
against a luxury car.

Antoine

Old January 4th 05, 03:19 PM
Mac Cool

Wes Newell:

I read a post this morning from a guy who had stability problems,
that he replaced his El Cheapo PS with an Antec and his CPU temps
dropped 10c.

Give me a f*cking break. If his temps dropped 10C then his cooler
wasn't on right to begin with or he had vcore set to high on the
board or in the bios. To actually atribute the drop in temps to the
PSU is about the wildest BS I've ever heard.

I'm just relaying another person's experience, don't get hostile with me.
FYI, if the generic powersupply wasn't evacuating air from the case
properly, then YES, it is entirely possible that changing the PS dropped
the CPU temp. Why do people put extra fans on their case? To move more air
through the case and keep the temps lower. What happens if you plug up the
case? The temps will increase. Think things through before posting.
--
Mac Cool
Old January 4th 05, 08:28 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:19:02 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

Wes Newell:

I read a post this morning from a guy who had stability problems, that
he replaced his El Cheapo PS with an Antec and his CPU temps dropped
10c.

Give me a f*cking break. If his temps dropped 10C then his cooler wasn't
on right to begin with or he had vcore set to high on the board or in
the bios. To actually atribute the drop in temps to the PSU is about the
wildest BS I've ever heard.

I'm just relaying another person's experience, don't get hostile with me.

You think that was hostile? it wasn't ment to be. I'm just blunt.:-)

FYI, if the generic powersupply wasn't evacuating air from the case
properly, then YES, it is entirely possible that changing the PS dropped
the CPU temp.

No way in hell (just being blunt, so don't get offended) does this have
anything to do with power. If the fan was screwed up on the PSU, that's a
whole different story. Still can't see cpu temps dropping that much even
if the fan was completely dead. But the temp problem he was having could
most certainly be directly related to the stability problem. So now we
don't know if the power or the temp was the cause of the stabilty problem.
IOW, BS.:-)

Why do people put extra fans on their case? To move more air
through the case and keep the temps lower. What happens if you plug up the
case? The temps will increase. Think things through before posting.

And all this time I though the people just liked the extra noise.:-)

But you used the message to infer that the el cheapo PSU as the cause of
all his problems, when in fact you can't relate it to a certain to any of
them.

i'm just here to state for a fact that out of the hundreds of cheap PSU's
I've used the failure rates were no different than the expensive ones. And
there's really no reason to warn people off them if they choose to buy
them. BTW, the systems I build run in some of the worst invironments you
can think of. And they run 24/7 unattended. Some in places that range fron
30-100+F over the year. Some in enclosed small places that stay
constantly hot. Yes, some morons insist that they nust go there. I can't
do anything but warn them. They bought it, it's there's, but with a
defaulted warranty.

Old January 4th 05, 11:16 PM
Bonj

Right... I've decided to go for the existing case and stick with the new
(cheap) 500w psu, but replace the heatsink and cpu-fan that comes with the
amd64 chip with a much more hardcore one, possibly even watercooled. This'll
keep it running like a mutha. I'll then add an exhaust fan, and monitor the
cpu's temparature from within software and see if it's within an acceptable
range. After all, why would I have any reason to think that the cooler I get
with the chip would be a particularly good one - (on the contrary even),
I've therefore decided this is good enough reason for me to indicate the
standard cpu-fan and heatsink to be a more susceptible component than the
psu that I don't know anything about, and neither would I know anything
about a more expensive one, other than the fact that it's more expensive.

Cheers for the input

Wes Newell:

Old January 4th 05, 11:17 PM
Bonj

But the temp problem he was having could

who was "having a temp problem"?

Old January 4th 05, 11:18 PM
Bonj

Right, thank you. Some sense being talked, I appreciate it.

newsan.2005.01.04.09.34.18.680768@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old January 4th 05, 11:20 PM
Bonj

Oh, I see, yes.... the one that supposedly dropped when he replaced the psu.
Reading backwards again, sorry...

newsan.2005.01.04.20.29.56.56878@TAKEOUTverizon. net...