Fans etc.

Old January 3rd 05, 06:40 PM
Bonj

Ok, say if I install a cheap power supply, if it "goes up the spout" is it
likely to break just itself, or anything else?
As in most likely scenario?

"Ed" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:08:20 -0000, "Bonj" wrote:

Hello
I have ordered a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz chip and an Elite K8M800-M2
Skt
754 motherboard for it, with the intention of building up a 64-bit machine
for general stuff like games, programming etc. I've also ordered a fairly
cheap (but powerful - 500W) power supply off ebuyer for it.

Apparently the chip comes with a heatsink and fan. The power supply is the
cheapest 500W one on ebuyer, but it comes with "dual fans".

Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries about
this
configuration, and should I be thinking about getting any extra
fans/cooling
systems etc.? If so what sort, where to put them, etc.?

You should have at least 1 rear case exhaust fan, if using high end
video card you may want to have 2 rear fans and/or a front case fans
also.

My full tower case has 2 front and 2 rear 80mm outlets, so I use 4
thermal case fans with their sensors stuck to various hardware, this
keeps it cool when needed and quite as possible when just surfing,etc.

It's not so much the size of the PSU but the quality, just look at the
PSU spec and compare, a lot of el-cheapo PSUs create line noise that can
actually cause ram errors beside other problems. I'd take a 350W/380W
Antec PSU over any no-name 450W+ PSU.

The stock AMD heatsink-fan works great and is fairly quite, though if
you have a cheap thin case it won't really matter what fans you use as
they'll all seem loud. Skimping on a good case and PSU now will just
give you grief later on IMO.

Ed

Old January 3rd 05, 07:14 PM
dawg

Really,the only fans you should need are CPU, Northbridge ,Lower front
inside case(intake) and PS fan. An exhaust fan in the back is fine if there
is room. If you are overclocking,more powful fans in those places is
warranted.
And the Antec Power supply line at 380w and up is a good choice. With the
more powerful components nowadays a CLEAN power source is definitely a must.
Cheap power supplies don't have clean power, by which I mean,steady voltage
from all lines.

Old January 3rd 05, 07:21 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"Bonj" wrote in message ...
Ok, say if I install a cheap power supply, if it "goes up the spout" is it
likely to break just itself, or anything else?
As in most likely scenario?

Could break itself and every other component, could break just itself, could
just cause stability problems. But do you want to risk it?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...eadid=17181488

Old January 3rd 05, 07:51 PM
String

The capasitors pop, swell, bulge, whine or scream under load. A bad power
supply may fry a Mainboard and CPU before its too late, a good supply IF
they go most often do so quickly and save the rest of the parts from
overload.

Good luck

Old January 3rd 05, 08:07 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:26:28 +0000, String wrote:

If you buy Cheap you buy twice!

And you will be able to afford to.:-)

A fool and his money!

Pay too much for expensive name brand electronics.

You get what you pay for!

This has been proven wrong so many times it's a joke. You get what you
research. to be a good value, other, well, you said it in your second
sentence.

ESC is now 100% PC-Chips (someone has to be at the bottom) Cheap power
supplies are a BIG no no and most likely will cause problems you blame on
everything else.

You're full of crap. Yeah, there's some cheap crap out there that isn't
very good or way over rated, but there's also very good inexpensive PSU's.
There's also some very expensive PSU's you'll find as crap.

If power supplies were cars your cheap 500w would be a Yugo I have a
Enermax 365w if a car a BMW5, so we load them both with 4 people and
luggage head on round trip coast to coast full throttle. What car will
make it without needing new piston rods or burning oil?

Both being maintained properly, it's a toss up. But your comparison is
very flawed. The BMW would be considred a 600W PSU compared to the Yugo
which would be a 300W PSU, so the extra load on the Yugo would make it
fail sooner in theory., but not in every instance.

Remember how they used to advertise those little speakers at 120w (3w)
or 200w for 12$

Speakes are not electronics, and shouldn't be compared to it.

Old January 3rd 05, 08:33 PM
String

Wes your arguing for argument sake alone My examples were made to make it
clear cheap products make big claims to sell junk and if you re-read I never
made any recommendation of ANY overpriced items just a warning to do
homework to avoid disappointing junk. I suspect I hit a nerve and you have
some of the low quality parts I mentioned. My point with the car was a great
example how power supplies are like cars, regardless of power claims they
are not the same. Most of those metaphors are used for a reason and
reticulating them for nothing real shows you have been a victim of each. The
speakers are a great example of overblown claims to sell junk.
If you buy Cheap you buy twice! (when smart people don't have to)
A fool and his money! (buy crap and pray for luck)
You get what you pay for! (buy crap get crap)

newsan.2005.01.03.20.08.49.255433@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old January 3rd 05, 09:07 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:44:14 +0000, Bonj wrote:

I was more specifically asking about fans, but since you mention it what
make of power supply would you recommend?

For adequate ventilation you should add at least one intake to the lower
front portion of the case. If you want to do it right, cut out all the air
restricting metal grills where you mount the fan and enlarge the pastic
air intake portion as required to let the fan operate without air
restriction problems.

I've had two cheap power supplies in about 3 years on my 32-bit board,
so why should the equivalent higher-power one go wrong any more on a
64-bit board?

I've used literally hundreds of cheap PSU's with no more failure rates
than expenive one (disregarding the 10 I paid $2 ea for).:-)

I'm more concerned about whether it's likely to be stable - not whether
it will go wrong *someday*, because I think any power supply will go
wrong *someday*.

I'd get 2 600W PSU's and keep one for a backup. This 600W specs look
fantastic, but I haven't used one. The price is right.

http://www.3btech.net/chdufan600wa.html

I've used a 500 & 600W Lead Power and a 550W Power Magic. They worked fine
with my A64 system. Just make sure the +12v rails are at least 20A I'd say.

Old January 3rd 05, 09:34 PM
Bonj

Oh right ! I see, you're assuming I'm overclocking.
Thanks for the clarification...

Old January 3rd 05, 10:39 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:51:08 GMT, "String"

The capasitors pop, swell, bulge, whine or scream under load. A bad power
supply may fry a Mainboard and CPU before its too late, a good supply IF

It does not fry a mainboard the PSU refuses to switch on, [ surge ]
the 'over current protection' circuit in a good-or-bad PSU is
triggered by

= bad caps.

they go most often do so quickly and save the rest of the parts from
overload.

Bad caps are bad caps, cause = bad caps not poor PSU, ask Homie© he
nearly sank Abit & the entire Taiwanese capacitor industry making.

= bad caps

ask Gary here :

Good luck

BoroLad
Old January 4th 05, 02:47 AM
Mac Cool

Bonj:

Why are you posting this apparent spam, unless you are affiliated
with the makers of the power supplies?

You wrote that to me and in your next post you begged someone else for
recommendations for a different power supply and got the same answers I
and others have already given you. If you had bothered to read all the
replies, from people who have been trying to help you, you would have
noticed that I was neither the first person or the last person to
recommend an Antec power supply. Instead of acting like a jerk you should
be asking yourself why almost every reply has recommended that you not buy
a generic PS and has recommend an Antec instead. Best of luck.
--
Mac Cool