"Good" RAM help??

Old January 1st 05, 08:49 PM
XYZ

Default "Good" RAM help??

When everyone says buy "Good" ram for overclocking, what would be some
examples of "Good" ram? I need to make a purchase soon. Thanks

Old January 1st 05, 09:37 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:49:43 -0500, XYZ wrote:

When everyone says buy "Good" ram for overclocking, what would be some
examples of "Good" ram? I need to make a purchase soon. Thanks

As cheap as I can find it that will perform at the level I want. That's
good ram. I've never bought expensive name brand ram. I always buy cheap
at least one speed grade higher than I need. I've nver had a problem with
this method.

Old January 1st 05, 10:29 PM
Tod

Good RAM usually means name brand, something more then generic or no name
memory.
Name brand uses chips that have passed high quality testing, the ones that
do not pass
(but are still usually good chips, called "seconds") are sold on the gray
market for generic and no name DIMMs.

Old January 1st 05, 10:55 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:37:07 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:49:43 -0500, XYZ wrote:

When everyone says buy "Good" ram for overclocking, what would be some
examples of "Good" ram? I need to make a purchase soon. Thanks

As cheap as I can find it that will perform at the level I want. That's
good ram. I've never bought expensive name brand ram. I always buy cheap
at least one speed grade higher than I need. I've nver had a problem with
this method.

Good Ram is any of the 1/2 dozen or so makers using Samsung TCCD chips
that get close to DDR600 on an A64 system. However Wes sucks on the
left teat only . . . . you should pay very very close attention to
his advice - you see you can buy a 7 storey block of flats, but you
can only ever live in one at any time.

Why pay for the xtra accommodation ?, you can never use it - cut your
cloth according to ' best fit plus 1 ' On a Socket 754 what you
describe as " Good" would be a waste of money, and on a 939 it's
debatable whether you would see a return on your investment

BoroLad
Old January 1st 05, 11:22 PM
XYZ

Can anyone give me some examples with a model number and brand name?
Something you might find on newegg, zipzoomfly, etc. Consider a socket 754
2800+, or a Socket 939 3000+ in one of the MSI 8KN Neo motherboards.
Thanks again.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:24 AM
Ed Light

I check on newegg.com. I get a listing of the type of ram I want and check
the user ratings. They don't publish some of the negative ratings. But if a
dozen out of a dozen say no compatibility problems and give it a 5-star,
then it looks like a good one.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 2nd 05, 06:02 AM
Fitz

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I recommend high quality RAM for
the AMD64's. They are memory intensive systems, and the better the quality,
the better the performance. I stay away from any company's "Value" line of
RAM. "Value" translates to second rate quality. Take at look at the AMD 64
forums (
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?s=3e...&showf orum=7 )
and review the problems people have had with various types of memory.
I had to replace Kingston HyperX PC3200 because of stability problems when
running "Performance" settings. Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 is stable as hell at
the 416MHz it's running at. The Kingston is now in an Athlon XP 2500+ system
running fine.
Others will disagree, but if I had to trim money out of a budget for a
system, I'd knock a few MHz off the processor speed before I'd buy low
quality memory.

Fitz

Old January 2nd 05, 08:29 AM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:22:51 -0500, "XYZ"
wrote:

zipzoomfly

Others have cautioned you ref ' zipzoomfly' [ formerly GoogleGear ]
6214 reviews gives a higher than average rating, see below.

BoroLad