Microsoft shortens Windows name

Old September 1st 04, 11:03 AM
MyndPhlyp

"Grumble" wrote in message ...
MyndPhlyp wrote:

If that were true, McDonalds and Burger King would not have been sued by
people spilling commonly known hot beverages in their laps. We might

have a
foundation here for a class action lawsuit. Hmmm.

(I wonder ... if my kid burns his hand on the stove, who would I sue:

the
stove manufacturer, the electric company, the installer, the supplier,

the
interior designer, the landlord? After all, our (US) court system has

pretty
much accepted we are not responsible for our own actions these days.)

The infamous "McDonald's coffee case" is definitely *NOT* an example of
frivolous lawsuits.

In your opinion.

Old September 1st 04, 12:48 PM
Grumble

MyndPhlyp wrote:

Grumble wrote:

The infamous "McDonald's coffee case" is definitely *NOT* an example
of frivolous lawsuits.

In your opinion.

Yes. In my humble opinion, based on the facts presented in the press
and in the article the link to which you inappropriately snipped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

--
Regards, Grumble
Old September 1st 04, 02:28 PM
MyndPhlyp

http://www.liberator.net/articles/Va...nsibility.html

Old September 1st 04, 03:29 PM
Robert Redelmeier

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips MyndPhlyp wrote:
http://www.liberator.net/articles/Va...nsibility.html

Very nice, but I wouldn't consider debridement to be required
for "minor burns". Especially not on the vulva (ouch!)

IMHO, Wikipedia is a bit more authoratative:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

It _is_ an interesting question of responsibility:

1) coffee is customarily served at 150-160'F
2) McD coffee was deliberately served at 180-190'F
(presumably for competitive advantage -- staying warm longer
or to use cheaper coffee beans)
3) who is to blame for the resulting burns?

The same question of responsibility arises in lots of cases,
tire blowouts, vehicles catching fire, ...

Maybe people in the computer field accept strict "caveat emptor"
because the major software supplier(s) produce buggy products.

-- Robert

Old September 1st 04, 04:24 PM
MyndPhlyp

"Robert Redelmeier" wrote in message
om...

It _is_ an interesting question of responsibility:

1) coffee is customarily served at 150-160'F
2) McD coffee was deliberately served at 180-190'F
3) who is to blame for the resulting burns?

Maybe people in the computer field accept strict "caveat emptor"
because the major software supplier(s) produce buggy products.

This is getting way off the path, but one just can't flog a dead horse
enough. g

Maybe I am old school. Obviously I firmly believe we are responsible for our
own acts and decisions (or lack thereof). It is something I was taught at a
very early age by my Depression Era parents and has little to do with being
in the computer field.

Just for grins I pulled out a manual that came with a water heater I
recently installed. (Just look at all those warning statements on the
BernzOmatic propane tank. Who would have thought it contained flammable
gas?) There's a handy chart showing the time it takes to produce a serious
burn for various temperatures (in Fahrenheit):

120F = More than 5 minutes
125F = 1-1/2 to 2 minutes
130F = About 30 seconds
135F = About 10 seconds
140F = Less than 5 seconds
145F = Less than 3 seconds
150F = About 1-1/2 seconds
155F = About 1 second

Given that knowledge and that coffee is generally served at 150F, would I
expect to /*not*/ be burned if I dumped a coffee in my lap?

Caveat emptor has been around for a very long time. A consumer of any
product or service is an idiot for failing to use at least a modicum of
common sense. To seek compensation for one's stupidity or ignorance is a
redundant act.

(Wouldn't you know it -- I was just doing some repairs around the house and
whacked my thumb with the hammer. There's no warning label. Time to leaf
through the Yellow Pages in search of a liar ... er, lawyer ... to go after
Craftsman.)

Old September 1st 04, 05:01 PM
MyndPhlyp

"Lee Waun" wrote in message

None of the above. Your wife was the one who
left the stove unattended while the burner was
hot. :-D

Ah - no good. She would have grounds for a countersuit since I
(presumably)
had something to do with the conception and there would undoubtedly be a
jury out there willing to listen to a liar ... er, lawyer argue the kid
wouldn't have burnt his hand if he hadn't been conceived in the first
place.

Well then your parents should be sued for concieving you as they made you
etc.

Why not just everyone sue everyone. Wait in America they do do that.

Yeppers. Somehow your post escaped me. Now that I've found it, you can
expect a summons delivery soon. I'm going to sue you for defamation of
character. g

Old September 1st 04, 05:19 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:08:44 +0200, Grumble wrote:

The infamous "McDonald's coffee case" is definitely *NOT* an example of
frivolous lawsuits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

BS, Any coffee drinker knows that the water is boiling when brewed. I'd
assume it to be freshly brewed at 212F, and as such a potential danger if
spilled on someone. She shouldn't have gotten crap. And yes I read the
link even though you didn't post it right. it wasn't M's fault she was a
79 year old idiot. And I guess that the driver was an idiot too for not
warning her it was hot. After all, he's the one that took the coffee from
the drivein window, not her. It also wasn't M's fault that she decided to
stick it between her legs. You can argue this crap all you want, but those
are the facts. Shouldn't have respned to this off topic crap, but idiots
just make me sick.

Old September 1st 04, 05:27 PM
MyndPhlyp

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.01.16.21.42.989445@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:08:44 +0200, Grumble wrote:

Shouldn't have respned to this off topic crap, but idiots
just make me sick.

ROFLMAO! It's like walking by a sign that says "Wet Paint".

Old September 1st 04, 05:32 PM
Lee Waun

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in message
. net...

"Lee Waun" wrote in message

None of the above. Your wife was the one who
left the stove unattended while the burner was
hot. :-D

Ah - no good. She would have grounds for a countersuit since I
(presumably)
had something to do with the conception and there would undoubtedly be
jury out there willing to listen to a liar ... er, lawyer argue the kid
wouldn't have burnt his hand if he hadn't been conceived in the first
place.

Well then your parents should be sued for concieving you as they made
you
etc.

Why not just everyone sue everyone. Wait in America they do do that.

Yeppers. Somehow your post escaped me. Now that I've found it, you can
expect a summons delivery soon. I'm going to sue you for defamation of
character. g

AMD sucks. Intel rules. Now you have more grounds to sue.

Old September 1st 04, 05:36 PM
MyndPhlyp

"Lee Waun" wrote in message

AMD sucks. Intel rules. Now you have more grounds to sue.

Uh ... nope. I don't shill for AMD. But seeing as how you are so fond of
them g, I called off the liar.