Is this true about ASUS?

Old July 21st 04, 12:17 AM
XS11E

Wes Newell wrote in
newsan.2004.07.20.20.40.05.864247@TAKEOUTverizon .net:

What type apps are you talking about?

Quicken, VersaCheck and TurboTax or TaxCut.

There are NO Linux equivalents, there aren't even any Windows
equivalents. For example, Microsoft Money, Gnucash and Moneydance all
say they will import Quicken files, they all lie. Not my files nor
anyone else's files that are complex, I'm not the only one who's tried.

Quicken will "sorta" run under Crossover Office but "sorta" does't cut
it.

VersaCheck will run under Wine but it won't print. The ONLY function
of VersaCheck is to print so.... ????

There's other ways of printing checks, I can download MICR fonts and
probably create some way to do it, but until Quicken runs under Linux
I'll be running Windows. I don't play games, download music, surf the
web, etc. My PC is for financial use only and Quicken is why it
exists, w/o the three programs above I wouldn't even need a computer!
Dang, wouldn't that be nice? ;-)

Old July 21st 04, 02:44 AM
Pseudo Namen

LOL. They don't work as flawsless as they do in Windows XP though,
especially with DirectX settings turned all the way up.

Remember, the programs you talk about are emulators, and thus cannot
compete with Windows Native as far as speed, and high color and textures
etc... I buy games for the graphics, speed and sound. I don't know of one
game that works with EAX4 in Linux.
Just because you can get something to work, doesn't mean it works as well.
)

"Hellmark" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.20.21.46.47.161295@swbell.****SPA M.net...
Pseudo Namen's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we
The biggest problem I have with using Linux only is GAMES.
1. The Sims

There is a linux port

2. Sim City 4

has a linux port

6. Command & Conquer: Generals

Hmm, cant remember if this one can run with the Wines. I know after EA
bought out Eastwood, they started putting in antidebugger code, which
messes with Wine.

7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
11. Age Of Empires

Runs with Cedega

4. Diblo 2

One of the games that is supposed to work flawlessly under Wine

12. Flight Simulater 2004

Can't run under Wine, cedega or Crossover Office

8. Hitman 2

First one works, but this one has some conflicts that make it not run.
Think the anti-debugger issue

3. Sacrifice

Runs under Cedega

5. Dungeon Siege

Has some issues, but runs

9. Tomb Raider:The Angel Of Darness

This one doesnt install, because the installer doesnt want to switch disks
under Wine, but I'm not sure if a preexisting install would work

10. Evolva

Installs but can't be run

13. Raven Shield

Installs, runs, but has some problems with things like key configuration,
etc. Since its based off UT2003, shouldnt be that much longer till its
run able I dont think.

14. Warcraft 3

Again one of the ones that works flawlessly under cedega.

What other games do you have questions on? Just because you think they
dont have a native linux port, doesnt mean they won't run (plus as I said,
a couple do have native ports).

#1 Learn how to post on Usenet by not top posting.
#2 WINE and WINEX are not emulators, they are compatability layers. There is
a world of difference between the two systems.
#3 Some games actually play better on a GNU/Linux platform, example
Morrowind.
#4 Being happy that you are nearly forced to game on a propietary system is
retarded. Do you like giving extra money to those that want to insure that
you are further locked in to using their products only? Talk about a vicious
circle...
#5 Companies licensing source out for porting is a win/win/win.

Old July 21st 04, 05:26 AM
Pseudo Namen

#1 Learn how to post on Usenet by not top posting.
#2 WINE and WINEX are not emulators, they are compatability layers. There
is
a world of difference between the two systems.
#3 Some games actually play better on a GNU/Linux platform, example
Morrowind.
#4 Being happy that you are nearly forced to game on a propietary system
is
#5 Companies licensing source out for porting is a win/win/win.

Read my other posts. Most of them are NOT top posted.
No matter what you call them, they are NOT native Windows
NO games that are native Windows games work better in LINUX, that is pure
bull****.
You are the one being retarded.
And finally, I am not a company. I am an individual.

Now learn some manners.

Old July 21st 04, 06:59 AM
Ed Light

"Net Resident" wrote
#1 Learn how to post on Usenet by not top posting.

That's a debated issue. Personally I prefer top posts when they don't have
to answer a specific sentence of paragraph.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 21st 04, 07:36 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:30:01 -0500, Pseudo Namen wrote:

The biggest problem I have with using Linux only is GAMES.
1. The Sims
2. Sim City 4
3. Sacrifice
4. Diblo 2
5. Dungeon Siege
6. Command & Conquer: Generals
7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
8. Hitman 2
9. Tomb Raider:The Angel Of Darness
10. Evolva
11. Age Of Empires
12. Flight Simulater 2004
13. Raven Shield
14. Warcraft 3

Just to name a few. LOL

well, if you use your machine to play commercial games, then by all
means you should stay with Windows. Personally, I've never seen any of
these games, and probably never will. There's probably about 50 games
that comes with the linux distro I use. I've been using Linux for over 3
years now and still have only run a few of these.

Old July 21st 04, 08:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:17:07 -0700, XS11E wrote:

Wes Newell wrote in
newsan.2004.07.20.20.40.05.864247@TAKEOUTverizon .net:

What type apps are you talking about?

Quicken, VersaCheck and TurboTax or TaxCut.

There are NO Linux equivalents, there aren't even any Windows
equivalents. For example, Microsoft Money, Gnucash and Moneydance all
say they will import Quicken files, they all lie. Not my files nor
anyone else's files that are complex, I'm not the only one who's tried.

Well, for Quicken there are 5 Linux programs listed as equivalents. I
don't use any of these personal finance managers, but I've heard of people
importing quicken files into gnucash. But you seem to be saying it's not
evuivalent simple because they use a different storage format.

Quicken will "sorta" run under Crossover Office but "sorta" does't cut
it.

So use a native program like gnucash.

VersaCheck will run under Wine but it won't print. The ONLY function of
VersaCheck is to print so.... ????

I don't use this stuff either, but found a linux app called Freecheck in
a matter of seconds.

There's other ways of printing checks, I can download MICR fonts and
probably create some way to do it, but until Quicken runs under Linux
I'll be running Windows. I don't play games, download music, surf the
web, etc. My PC is for financial use only and Quicken is why it exists,
w/o the three programs above I wouldn't even need a computer! Dang,
wouldn't that be nice? ;-)

Well then you should definately stay with Windows then if it does what you
want and you are happy with it. But to say Linux sucks just because you
can't move windows quicken files over to it is just a little on the absurd
side don't you think.:-)

Old July 21st 04, 08:34 AM
Hellmark

Pseudo Namen's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we

LOL. They don't work as flawsless as they do in Windows XP though,
especially with DirectX settings turned all the way up.

Some do, but you're right, most still have a few quirks.

Remember, the programs you talk about are emulators, and thus cannot
compete with Windows Native as far as speed, and high color and textures
etc... I buy games for the graphics, speed and sound. I don't know of one
game that works with EAX4 in Linux.
Just because you can get something to work, doesn't mean it works as well.

No, they are not. Emulates is software that takes place of a hardware
component. Wine and its offshoots add an API layer for the execution of
non native software. Even if you look at what the acronym means, you'd
know "Wine Is Not an Emulator" (thats straight from the wine webpage).
I've had stuff run under Wine just as fast as it does under Windows. Learn
before commenting.
Old July 21st 04, 08:38 AM
Hellmark

Pseudo Namen's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we
Read my other posts. Most of them are NOT top posted.

So? Because you normally do it one way, doesnt mean that you didnt **** up
that time.

No matter what you call them, they are NOT native Windows

So?

NO games that are native Windows games work better in LINUX, that is pure
bull****.

Go believe your FUD. I'm a game developer for a small company, and I know
that if you dont sloppily code your app, it will run about the same. I
have seen a few rare instances where non native beat out native, but thats
because shortcuts were used.
Old July 21st 04, 08:40 AM
Hellmark

Ed Light's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
we
"Net Resident" wrote
#1 Learn how to post on Usenet by not top posting.

That's a debated issue. Personally I prefer top posts when they don't have
to answer a specific sentence of paragraph.

I inline/bottom post. That way, if someone doesnt get the previous posts
(which happens on usenet), they can still have an idea of whats going on,
plus I can coment on each individual part I want to. I dont have to lump
all my things together