Is this true about ASUS?

Old July 19th 04, 12:24 PM
Michael Luescher

XS11E wrote:

Post Replies Here Please wrote in
:

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

I'm a big fan of ASUS and was not aware of this.

It's very hard for me to understand the article. They talk about using
a K8V SE Deluxe motherboard which is what I have. Mandrake 10, 64bit
RC1 found and installed ALL my hardware including the on-board sound,
on-board NIC, etc.

FWIW, MB = ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with latest BIOS and AMD64 3400 chip.
Video card is ATI Radeon 7000. 1Gig (2 500MB sticks) of Fry's cheapest
3600 DDR RAM. Canon S900 Photo Printer, HP LaserJet 6L, Microtek V6upl
scanner connected via USB2 port. HP DVD Writer 200i, LG DVD ROM.

The on-board sound is SoundMax Integrated Digatal Audio and the LAN is
Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T adaptor, Copper RJ-
45.

No problems with any of this. Conclusion, WTF is he talking about?

I have also installed Fedora 64bit which did have a problem with my
sound card, SuSE 64bit which had NO problems and Linspire (formerly
Lindows) which installed all the hardware with no problems.

Again, WTF is he talking about?

BTW, ASUS has NO need or requirement to supply drivers for ANY OS and
never has.

Windows XP is running on the same system using drivers supplied by the
manufacturers of the sound card and LAN, NOT drivers by ASUS. The
drivers that run the sound card and LAN in Linux are supplied by
various folks in the open source community or possibly by the same
manufacturers who supplied the drivers for Windows XP so.....

The total article is pure, unadulterated horsepucky from someone who
has no idea of what he/she/it is talking about.

Exactly what I thought reading this crap.
I'm using a L5-series ASUS notebook, running debian 3.1 sarge (from
dvd). The only hardware not yet compatible is the WLAN-network adapter.
The author judges ASUS only because they're not T H E company changing
the world of computing.

Michael
Old July 19th 04, 04:48 PM
XS11E

"Ben Pope" wrote in
:

Wes Newell wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:38:51 -0400, Locutus wrote:

nothing wrong with that
Linux sucks so why support it

Really. Could you tell me why it sucks? And what OS should I be
using, and why?

It sucks because it takes a certain level of brain power to get it
up and running.

It sucks because for Average Joe, it's too complicated.

It's great because it free, powerful, stable, provides you with
choice and the community can, and do contribute in so many ways.

It sucks because some of the applications I need are available only for
Windows and/or MAC. I'm hoping that will change sometime in the future
and the many, many people who *need* to run Windows will be able to go
to Linux full time or, more likely, someday I'll finally decide to give
up my attempts at learning Linux.

Until then, I'm still quadruple booting.. sigh

Old July 20th 04, 05:56 AM
Hellmark

XS11E's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
we
It sucks because some of the applications I need are available only for
Windows and/or MAC. I'm hoping that will change sometime in the future
and the many, many people who *need* to run Windows will be able to go
to Linux full time or, more likely, someday I'll finally decide to give
up my attempts at learning Linux.

Have you tried Wine, Cedega (formally WineX), or Crossover Office? And do
they have a decent Open Source alternative? Right now I have two apps that
aren't linux friendly by the last two measures, 3d Studio Max 3.1 (yeah,
its old but its what I could afford and dont really like the new versions
as much), and Poser 4. 3dsmax craps out before it can get the loading
splash screen up if I try with a Windows API of some sort (Wine, etc), and
Poser loads, but the on screen graphical controls are invisible (but
everything else, including the viewport, works).
Old July 20th 04, 03:48 PM
XS11E

Hellmark wrote in
newsan.2004.07.20.03.58.43.12618@swbell.****SPAM .net:

XS11E's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we
It sucks because some of the applications I need are available
only for Windows and/or MAC. I'm hoping that will change
sometime in the future and the many, many people who *need* to
run Windows will be able to go to Linux full time or, more
likely, someday I'll finally decide to give up my attempts at
learning Linux.

Have you tried Wine, Cedega (formally WineX), or Crossover Office?

Yes.

Old July 20th 04, 03:57 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:17:28 -0500, Post Replies Here Please wrote:

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

I'm a big fan of ASUS and was not aware of this.

Whatever.

The bigger issue is that Taiwanese companies are focused entirely on cost,
quality and customer support take a back seat. A couple of years ago I
developed a file server for a medium sized (~$500M) company. Dealing with
Supermicro or 3Ware, which are Silicon Valley based, was easy. If there
was a problem they did their best to address it. Dealing with Taiwan based
companies was impossible, they simply didn't have the capacity or the
inclination to respond to even a $500M company so you can imagine how bad
the service for smaller OEMs must be like. Unfortunately SuperMicro
doesn't make Opteron boards.

Old July 20th 04, 04:04 PM
Pseudo Namen

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:17:28 -0500, Post Replies Here Please wrote:

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

I'm a big fan of ASUS and was not aware of this.

Whatever.

The bigger issue is that Taiwanese companies are focused entirely on cost,
quality and customer support take a back seat. A couple of years ago I
developed a file server for a medium sized (~$500M) company. Dealing with
Supermicro or 3Ware, which are Silicon Valley based, was easy. If there
was a problem they did their best to address it. Dealing with Taiwan based
companies was impossible, they simply didn't have the capacity or the
inclination to respond to even a $500M company so you can imagine how bad
the service for smaller OEMs must be like. Unfortunately SuperMicro
doesn't make Opteron boards.

I believe Supermicro doesn't make any AMD based motherboards.

Old July 20th 04, 04:07 PM
Michael Luescher

XS11E wrote:
Hellmark wrote in
newsan.2004.07.20.03.58.43.12618@swbell.****SPAM .net:

XS11E's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we

It sucks because some of the applications I need are available
only for Windows and/or MAC. I'm hoping that will change
sometime in the future and the many, many people who *need* to
run Windows will be able to go to Linux full time or, more
likely, someday I'll finally decide to give up my attempts at
learning Linux.

Have you tried Wine, Cedega (formally WineX), or Crossover Office?

Yes.

1. Tell me the file type (not the application, because there's no use
using these crap-apps like microsoft office, adobde photoshop/cinemaXd,
internet explorer when there are openoffice.org, gimp/blender, mozilla
firefox doing the better work for you with the same file types) not
supported by any GNU/Linux ported application
2. I do not hope that there is going to be a microsoft office for linux,
but I do hope openoffice.org for win to be used more often.

michael
Old July 20th 04, 09:33 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:48:14 -0700, XS11E wrote:

Hellmark wrote in
newsan.2004.07.20.03.58.43.12618@swbell.****SPAM .net:

XS11E's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we
It sucks because some of the applications I need are available
only for Windows and/or MAC. I'm hoping that will change
sometime in the future and the many, many people who *need* to
run Windows will be able to go to Linux full time or, more
likely, someday I'll finally decide to give up my attempts at
learning Linux.

Have you tried Wine, Cedega (formally WineX), or Crossover Office?

Yes.

What type apps are you talking about? Are they custom to support a
proprietary product? if so, you may never see a Linux version. You also
may never see a version for the next version of windows. But, AFAIK, there
are linux equivalants of almost any win apps. Do you want to share the
name of the app you are talking about. If not, then you might as well drop
the subject. Here's a list (although certainly not complete) of linux to
win equivalant apps.

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml

Old July 20th 04, 10:30 PM
Pseudo Namen

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.20.20.40.05.864247@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
[...]

The biggest problem I have with using Linux only is GAMES.
1. The Sims
2. Sim City 4
3. Sacrifice
4. Diblo 2
5. Dungeon Siege
6. Command & Conquer: Generals
7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
8. Hitman 2
9. Tomb Raider:The Angel Of Darness
10. Evolva
11. Age Of Empires
12. Flight Simulater 2004
13. Raven Shield
14. Warcraft 3

Just to name a few. LOL

Old July 20th 04, 11:44 PM
Hellmark

Pseudo Namen's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body we
The biggest problem I have with using Linux only is GAMES.
1. The Sims

There is a linux port

2. Sim City 4

has a linux port

6. Command & Conquer: Generals

Hmm, cant remember if this one can run with the Wines. I know after EA
bought out Eastwood, they started putting in antidebugger code, which
messes with Wine.

7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
11. Age Of Empires

Runs with Cedega

4. Diblo 2

One of the games that is supposed to work flawlessly under Wine

12. Flight Simulater 2004

Can't run under Wine, cedega or Crossover Office

8. Hitman 2

First one works, but this one has some conflicts that make it not run.
Think the anti-debugger issue

3. Sacrifice

Runs under Cedega

5. Dungeon Siege

Has some issues, but runs

9. Tomb Raider:The Angel Of Darness

This one doesnt install, because the installer doesnt want to switch disks
under Wine, but I'm not sure if a preexisting install would work

10. Evolva

Installs but can't be run

13. Raven Shield

Installs, runs, but has some problems with things like key configuration,
etc. Since its based off UT2003, shouldnt be that much longer till its
run able I dont think.

14. Warcraft 3

Again one of the ones that works flawlessly under cedega.

What other games do you have questions on? Just because you think they
dont have a native linux port, doesnt mean they won't run (plus as I said,
a couple do have native ports).