Cooling advice URGENTLY sought!!

Old June 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

rstlne wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Chris Turner wrote:
"Jason Cothran" wrote in message
news If you are running cool enough with the sides off and overheating
that badly with the sides on, it is obviously just a case of poor
case cooling.

Whats the ambient temp within the case when powered up....again if
thats hot then the cpu will be that plus more...the turbo setting is
in the BIOS - can not remeber where abouts look later. I spoke with
AMD ref this issue - basically on my rig if turbo was on the VDD
shot up to 1.75 volts and combine that with qfan and all temps
rocketed! It sounds though as the others have pointed out, your
case needs more efficient air flow - it's not expensive to set up
more fans. Come back on your room temps etc - if yur room is 30c
then your air cooling efficiency goes down.

This is the coolest room in the house. The radiator (which isn't on
at the moment, it's too warm) is on the opposite wall to the desk,
and it can't be more than 21°-22°C at the warmest. If you're
familiar with that case, you'll know there isn't any room for more
fans - unless you can tell me where to site them! The case
temperature with the side off is 28°C - on it's fluctuates between
34° and 35°. Do you think a 120mm on the HS would be a good idea
(I'd have to send it back to Ben for that, I can't do it myself).

All advice sought and gratefully received.

Thanks

Worried

So this is the version with 2 80mm fans in the front, one 80mm fan in
the back, and a top section for another 80mm fan?

Firstly, I wouldnt use the fan in the top, I would keep that block'd
off. Then make sure the other 80mm fans are working correctly..
Front 2 fans Suck air in, Rear fan blows air out.

If that's not helping then you have some other problem somewhere like
the heatsink not installed correctly or somethings damaged.

Just so we're clear - this http://tinyurl.com/2l4vq is the case in
question...There is only ONE case fan at the back - that's it, there isn't
room for any others.

Old June 20th 04, 04:36 PM
Hellmark

Miss Perspicacia Tick's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
through his body we
OK I will buy a 120 (not that I think there's room), but that means
losing it for a week, and I have work to do! GRR!!

Losing it for a week? Dont tell me you have someone else repair it?

I /CAN'T/ have any more fans - there's nowhere to put them! There's only
space for the one exhaust fan!

Mod the case.
Old June 20th 04, 05:14 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:41:03 +0100 As another one bit the dust "Miss
Perspicacia Tick" wrote :

Ben Pope wrote:
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
The case temperature with the side off is 28°C - on
it's fluctuates between 34° and 35°. Do you think a 120mm on the HS
would be a good idea (I'd have to send it back to Ben for that, I
can't do it myself).

Thats interesting. Case temps rise 6°C with the side on, but CPU
temps rise over 20°C? Are you sure?

Does the pope **** in the wood? Is the Bear Catholic?! or something...

So your CPU temps are over 30°C hotter than your case temp?

Correct.

Just to confirm this:

Under load (say Prim95 Torture test for half an hour), what is your
diode temp, case temp, and room temp?

What about with the side off?

Ben

I darest not do it, in case I invalidate the warranty. I'll have to ask Ben
if it's safe and if he'll replace anything that melts! There is a 15°C
difference between case and CPU now (28° vs 43°).

The last time I saw this the HS was orientated the wrong way on the
top of the CPU?
On AMD systems at least there is a lip under the HS that should fit
over the raised part of the CPU well so that the HS sits flush on the
core of the CPU.Also I remove the crappy thermal gum,polish/lap the HS
bottom and use thermal paste.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old June 20th 04, 05:41 PM
rstlne

Just so we're clear - this http://tinyurl.com/2l4vq is the case in
question...There is only ONE case fan at the back - that's it, there isn't
room for any others.

There are 2 more in the front
I am guessing that you dont have them hooked up..

Old June 20th 04, 05:43 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

rstlne wrote:
Just so we're clear - this http://tinyurl.com/2l4vq is the case in
question...There is only ONE case fan at the back - that's it, there
isn't room for any others.

There are 2 more in the front
I am guessing that you dont have them hooked up..

Yep, I see them and they are connected - all they're cooling though are the
HDs (of which there are three). Any other suggestions?

Old June 20th 04, 05:47 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Perspicacia Tick" wrote :

Ben Pope wrote:
[...]

I'll have to talk to Ben about it - I don't want to do anything myself in
case (ha ha!) it blows up or melts or something! He won't be too happy and I
really don't like complaining!

Old June 20th 04, 06:03 PM
tomb

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
| rstlne wrote:
|| So this is the version with 2 80mm fans in the front, one 80mm fan
|| in the back, and a top section for another 80mm fan?
| Just so we're clear - this http://tinyurl.com/2l4vq is the case in
| question...There is only ONE case fan at the back - that's it, there
| isn't room for any others.

From that page, "Specifications" column:

Ventilation Dual 80 x 80 x 25 mm fan attached front panel
One 80 x 80 x 25 mm fan attached back panel (Exhaust)

So that sounds like two fans in the front and one in the back, no?

Old June 20th 04, 06:20 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

rstlne wrote:
So this is the version with 2 80mm fans in the front, one 80mm fan
in the back, and a top section for another 80mm fan?

Just so we're clear - this http://tinyurl.com/2l4vq is the case in
question...There is only ONE case fan at the back - that's it, there
isn't room for any others.

From that page, "Specifications" column:

Ventilation Dual 80 x 80 x 25 mm fan attached front panel
One 80 x 80 x 25 mm fan attached back panel
(Exhaust)

So that sounds like two fans in the front and one in the back, no?

See my reply to 'rstline'.

Old June 20th 04, 09:51 PM
kony

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:17:13 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

Ok, here are my tips. 80mm fan atleast for your CPU, go 120 if you can
(mines only a 80 though, but I am debating on switching). Have a good
cooling setup in the PSU (mine ATM only has 1 80mm, but thats because
I am borrowing it till the one I ordered comes in next week, which
has 2 80mm's). NEVER have just the PSU and CPU fans (have atleast a
good intake and exhaust fan), alot of people nowadays aint really
doin that. Usual way for that is intake fans up front and down low,
and exhaust in back in the rear. Have qfan disabled, I had it on for
about 2 minutes and it had already shot up 5 degrees with in that
time on the CPU, and 10 degrees on everything else.

OK I will buy a 120 (not that I think there's room), but that means losing
it for a week, and I have work to do! GRR!!

No, you do not want an 120mm fan for the CPU. It won't even fit, there
are no heatsinks that I'm aware of that can use 120mm, at most it would be
92mm, but even then you would likely need an adapter. 80mm is correct
size for your heatsink, the most you should do is select a different 80mm
fan with higher flow rate, though of course it will be louder.

Also, get more fans. Never can have too many. But then again, I go for
over kill, and I barely have any fans in my system currently (by my
standards) and I can hear it across the house.

I /CAN'T/ have any more fans - there's nowhere to put them! There's only
space for the one exhaust fan!

Adding a fan to the side panel would require cutting out a new hole.
There it "might" be reasonable to use 120mm, though you shouldn't need
more than the lowest RPM model from any maker, to keep noise low as a
higher RPM 120mm fan can be quite noisey.