Cooling advice URGENTLY sought!!

Old June 20th 04, 06:10 AM
Hellmark

Miss Perspicacia Tick's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
through his body we
Chris Turner wrote:
sri - should NOT be run over 70c!!!

It locked up in Publisher at 70° - it has hit 80° twice. I'm almost too
scared to use it. I have the side off now and it's 55°.

Wow, thats really strange. I was just talking to a friend of mine on how
mines running exceptionally cool. I dont have all my fans in yet (only
have the basic 5 {CPU, PSU, OTES, and 2 120mm's for intake and exhaust},
got 8 more to go), and when I first turn the system on its about 100
degrees for the first couple hours, and then after its been sitting on
consistantly for a while, gets up to 120 degrees.

Ok, here are my tips. 80mm fan atleast for your CPU, go 120 if you can
(mines only a 80 though, but I am debating on switching). Have a good
cooling setup in the PSU (mine ATM only has 1 80mm, but thats because I
am borrowing it till the one I ordered comes in next week, which has 2
80mm's). NEVER have just the PSU and CPU fans (have atleast a good
intake and exhaust fan), alot of people nowadays aint really doin that.
Usual way for that is intake fans up front and down low, and exhaust in
back in the rear. Have qfan disabled, I had it on for about 2 minutes
and it had already shot up 5 degrees with in that time on the CPU, and
10 degrees on everything else.

Also, get more fans. Never can have too many. But then again, I go for
over kill, and I barely have any fans in my system currently (by my
standards) and I can hear it across the house.

--
Hellmark
-If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bull****!
Old June 20th 04, 10:18 AM
Chris Turner

"Jason Cothran" wrote in message
news
If you are running cool enough with the sides off and overheating that

badly
with the sides on, it is obviously just a case of poor case cooling.

Whats the ambient temp within the case when powered up....again if thats hot
then the cpu will be that plus more...the turbo setting is in the BIOS - can
not remeber where abouts look later. I spoke with AMD ref this issue -
basically on my rig if turbo was on the VDD shot up to 1.75 volts and
combine that with qfan and all temps rocketed! It sounds though as the
others have pointed out, your case needs more efficient air flow - it's not
expensive to set up more fans. Come back on your room temps etc - if yur
room is 30c then your air cooling efficiency goes down.

Old June 20th 04, 12:17 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Chris Turner wrote:
[...]

OK I will buy a 120 (not that I think there's room), but that means losing
it for a week, and I have work to do! GRR!!

Also, get more fans. Never can have too many. But then again, I go for
over kill, and I barely have any fans in my system currently (by my
standards) and I can hear it across the house.

I /CAN'T/ have any more fans - there's nowhere to put them! There's only
space for the one exhaust fan!

Old June 20th 04, 01:36 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Wes Newell wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:12:24 +0100, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

I have an FX-53 based system on an SK8V board in a CoolerMaster Wave
Master case. The HSF is a Swiftech MCX64-V with a Delta fan and the
PSU is a 480W Tagan.

The rest of the spec is as follows: -

1GB RAM
3xSATA HDs (2xRaptor in a RAID 0 array plus a WDC)
9800XT 256MB
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro XS
Plextor 708A
Samsung combi

I have a *serious* issue with overheating - and I do mean *SERIOUS*.
With the side panel on, it *IDLES* at between 60-65°C (140-149°F)
and once, when

I'm running it with the side off at the moment and it's stabilised at
45°C (113°F) - but I don't want to have to do that forever! I'm
hoping

The problem (at least one) is obvious from the above 2 lines. Fix your
case cooling first.

Well, DUH! I think I could have figured that out myself! THAT'S what I'm
trying to do!

Old June 20th 04, 01:43 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Chris Turner wrote:
"Jason Cothran" wrote in message
news
If you are running cool enough with the sides off and overheating
that badly with the sides on, it is obviously just a case of poor
case cooling.

Whats the ambient temp within the case when powered up....again if
thats hot then the cpu will be that plus more...the turbo setting is
in the BIOS - can not remeber where abouts look later. I spoke with
AMD ref this issue - basically on my rig if turbo was on the VDD shot
up to 1.75 volts and combine that with qfan and all temps rocketed!
It sounds though as the others have pointed out, your case needs more
efficient air flow - it's not expensive to set up more fans. Come
back on your room temps etc - if yur room is 30c then your air
cooling efficiency goes down.

This is the coolest room in the house. The radiator (which isn't on at the
moment, it's too warm) is on the opposite wall to the desk, and it can't be
more than 21°-22°C at the warmest. If you're familiar with that case, you'll
know there isn't any room for more fans - unless you can tell me where to
site them! The case temperature with the side off is 28°C - on it's
fluctuates between 34° and 35°. Do you think a 120mm on the HS would be a
good idea (I'd have to send it back to Ben for that, I can't do it myself).

All advice sought and gratefully received.

Thanks

Worried

Old June 20th 04, 01:46 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:12:24 +0100, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

I have an FX-53 based system on an SK8V board in a CoolerMaster Wave
Master case. The HSF is a Swiftech MCX64-V with a Delta fan and the
PSU is a 480W Tagan.

The rest of the spec is as follows: -

How many case fans do you have and how are they oriented? If you have
fans on both sides of the case you want to be blowing air in on one
side and sucking it out on the other. Check to see if you have good
airflow through the case. It also could be as simple as not having
enough fans or having fans that are too weak. You have a lot of very
hot components in that box, you'll need to move a lot of air through
it in order to cool everything adequately.

There is only one exhaust fan, and I believe it to be oriented the correct
way (it's part of the case, not something that was screwed on as an extra,
so if it isn't, that's CoolerMaster's fault!) As I keep reiterating, there
isn't anywhere for any more fans to go, oh *WHY* did I let him talk me into
this case?! Maybe I'll just have to pretend it's a 100% Perspex panel - I
was going to mod this when I had more cash (green case fan(s), a purple on
the HS), but I don't feel I can do that now as it would just generate more
heat - especially with the strip lights).

Oh well, guess I don't need to mod it - I'd just like it 20°C cooler! That's
not asking much is it?!

Thanks

Worried

Old June 20th 04, 02:02 PM
rstlne

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Chris Turner wrote:
[...]

So this is the version with 2 80mm fans in the front, one 80mm fan in the
back, and a top section for another 80mm fan?

Firstly, I wouldnt use the fan in the top, I would keep that block'd off.
Then make sure the other 80mm fans are working correctly..
Front 2 fans Suck air in, Rear fan blows air out.

If that's not helping then you have some other problem somewhere like the
heatsink not installed correctly or somethings damaged.

Old June 20th 04, 02:03 PM
rstlne

[...]

See my other post,
Intake fans can be more important than exaust fans.

Old June 20th 04, 02:17 PM
Ben Pope

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
The case temperature with the side off is 28°C - on
it's fluctuates between 34° and 35°. Do you think a 120mm on the HS would
be a good idea (I'd have to send it back to Ben for that, I can't do it
myself).

Thats interesting. Case temps rise 6°C with the side on, but CPU temps rise
over 20°C? Are you sure?

So your CPU temps are over 30°C hotter than your case temp?

Just to confirm this:

Under load (say Prim95 Torture test for half an hour), what is your diode
temp, case temp, and room temp?

What about with the side off?

Ben

Old June 20th 04, 03:41 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Ben Pope wrote:
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
The case temperature with the side off is 28°C - on
it's fluctuates between 34° and 35°. Do you think a 120mm on the HS
would be a good idea (I'd have to send it back to Ben for that, I
can't do it myself).

Thats interesting. Case temps rise 6°C with the side on, but CPU
temps rise over 20°C? Are you sure?

Does the pope **** in the wood? Is the Bear Catholic?! or something...

So your CPU temps are over 30°C hotter than your case temp?

Correct.

Just to confirm this:

Under load (say Prim95 Torture test for half an hour), what is your
diode temp, case temp, and room temp?

What about with the side off?

Ben

I darest not do it, in case I invalidate the warranty. I'll have to ask Ben
if it's safe and if he'll replace anything that melts! There is a 15°C
difference between case and CPU now (28° vs 43°).