Now I am up'n running

Old March 19th 04, 08:41 PM
Povl H. Pedersen

Default Now I am up'n running

Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.

It is a board slightly over half the price of most other boards,
and has allt he features one would want. 2x FireWire. 4xUSB 2.0 +
socket for 2 more. Audio bracket which includes optical and coax
digital out etc etc. And just as important, serial ports and
a printer port.
Old March 19th 04, 11:13 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:41:09 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.

Is that the RC1 or the release version? If release version, where did you
find it?I've got RC1 here, but it doesn't see my raid controller. The
i586 version of 9.2 does. Silcon Image 680. I'm also looking for drivers
for the SIS180 sata/ata controller if you onow where I can find them if
they exist yet.

Old March 20th 04, 10:12 AM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , Wes Newell wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:41:09 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.

Is that the RC1 or the release version? If release version, where did you
find it?I've got RC1 here, but it doesn't see my raid controller. The
i586 version of 9.2 does. Silcon Image 680. I'm also looking for drivers
for the SIS180 sata/ata controller if you onow where I can find them if
they exist yet.

I paid the 120 quid to become a MandrakeClub member so I could download
MDK10 for x86, MandrakeMove-USB and MDK92 for AMD64.

Don't use the RAID controller, so don't know if supported.
The default kernel crashes if I have an USB mouse or keyboard
connected.

Had a little trouble putting a decent kernel on it (2.6.3) got
the QM_MODULES: Function not implemented error trying to load any module.

Had trouble install init-mod-utils as gcc don't know how to find
static libc. So all in all I have less luck than I had hoped.

Considering a few options right now. Maybe just recompile gcc
and see if that helps, or switch to Suse or Gentoo. But would
rather get Mandrake running, as my server is on MDK10.
Old March 20th 04, 12:33 PM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
[re Mandrake 9.2 trouble on FIC K8 T800]
Don't use the RAID controller, so don't know if supported.
The default kernel crashes if I have an USB mouse or keyboard
connected.

dmesg in a kernel 2.6.3 told me to update my BIOS or disable legacy
USB in the BIOS. So I updated my BIOS, and can now install with
mouse and everything. Seems like they shipped with a pre-1.0 BIOS,
as 1.0 is the latest.
Old March 20th 04, 05:27 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:12:28 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

In article , Wes Newell wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:41:09 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.

Is that the RC1 or the release version? If release version, where did you
find it?I've got RC1 here, but it doesn't see my raid controller. The
i586 version of 9.2 does. Silcon Image 680. I'm also looking for drivers
for the SIS180 sata/ata controller if you onow where I can find them if
they exist yet.

I paid the 120 quid to become a MandrakeClub member so I could download
MDK10 for x86, MandrakeMove-USB and MDK92 for AMD64.

Just curious, is the price for MandrakeClub really 120 pounds for UK user?
It cost me $120 which is a lot less than 120 pounds.

Old March 21st 04, 12:18 AM
Ben Pope

Newell wrote:

I paid the 120 quid to become a MandrakeClub member so I could download
MDK10 for x86, MandrakeMove-USB and MDK92 for AMD64.

Just curious, is the price for MandrakeClub really 120 pounds for UK user?
It cost me $120 which is a lot less than 120 pounds.

Well the website says $120(£65) or 120Eur(£80). Don't see why I couldn't
pay in $ - with the current exchange rate it makes this kind of thing
cheap... I renewed my domain for 5 years and it cost £55. Much less than I
was expecting.

Ben

Old March 21st 04, 09:23 AM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , Ben Pope wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
Well the website says $120(£65) or 120Eur(£80). Don't see why I couldn't
pay in $ - with the current exchange rate it makes this kind of thing
cheap... I renewed my domain for 5 years and it cost £55. Much less than I
was expecting.

The 120 Euro includes EU VAT, which the must charge for Europeans.
I had no option to select us$ even though I would have preferred to
pay in that cheap currency. £65 + approx 15-20% VAT is close to
£80 anyway.

Ben

Old March 21st 04, 12:48 PM
Ben Pope

Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
In article , Ben Pope wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
Well the website says $120(£65) or 120Eur(£80). Don't see why I couldn't
pay in $ - with the current exchange rate it makes this kind of thing
cheap... I renewed my domain for 5 years and it cost £55. Much less
than I was expecting.

The 120 Euro includes EU VAT, which the must charge for Europeans.
I had no option to select us$ even though I would have preferred to
pay in that cheap currency. £65 + approx 15-20% VAT is close to
£80 anyway.

Fair enough.

Ben

DDR memory running at wrong speed? Noozer General 14 January 13th 05 02:02 PM
Fujitsu MHR2020AT hard drive running at 52 Centigrade code_wrong General 0 December 21st 04 08:40 PM
should i be running RAID? Nikko General 5 July 31st 04 02:37 PM
Running a Server Omar Bohsali General 4 October 30th 03 12:51 PM
AMD Athlon Mobile XP 1800+/2000+/2200+ running at FSB 200 possible? Clemens Arth Overclocking AMD Processors 18 July 9th 03 10:47 AM