PowerPC confirmed for Xbox-2 ?

Old November 7th 03, 03:59 PM
Sprite Scaler

Default PowerPC confirmed for Xbox-2 ?

Up until today (at least for me) it seemed Xbox-2's CPU core was up in
the air. While it was known that IBM would be fabbing / manufacturing
the CPU, I think it was somewhat uncertain who would be *designing*
it. it could have been an AMD-designed, IBM-manufactured chip. but
now it seems it *will* be PowerPC-based.

IBM claims Xbox2 deal a defeat for Intel

Intel insouciance may conceal deep concern

By INQUIRER staff: Friday 07 November 2003, 07:57

CHIP FIRM Intel may think that Microsoft not using its chips is a
matter of absolute indifference, but an internal email from Big Blue
suggests the boot is on the other foot.
Sources have shown us how IBM announced the deal inside the firm, in
this memorandum below.

According to IBM, not only has it "thrown them [Intel] out of Xbox",
but it also kept them [Intel] out of the Apple G5.

The memo appears to show that if there's one company that bears a
grudge, that's Big Blue. As our own Good Doctor Spinola has it: "Life
is too short not to wreak a bitter and bloody revenge".

You may also want to read Eva Glass' story from March 2002 about
Microsoft and the Xbox2, which discusses cutting out Nvidia, and any
X86 manufacturer.

( here's the interesting part )

'A few minutes ago we announced that we have won a deal to design,
develop and make the processor for the next generation of Microsoft's
Xbox game system.

Microsoft selected us for one very simple reason -- we are the leaders
in the advanced technologies they need for Xbox.

This is a major win for us on several fronts:

It illustrates and capitalizes on our deep technology and service
capabilities. The new Xbox technologies will be based on the latest in
IBM's family of state-of-the-art processors;

It is the single largest win for Engineering & Technology Services and
a substantial foundry win for our 300 mm facility;

We've handed Intel another defeat. Earlier this year, we kept them out
of the Apple G5 and now we've thrown them out of Xbox. (Not bad,
considering one Intel executive recently called us "trivial");

We are now the undisputed leader in providing advanced chip technology
for the gaming industry. We make the CPUs for Nintendo's GameCube
systems. We are shipping in volume the GeForce FX advanced graphics
processor for NVIDIA, the premier supplier of graphics chips for the
gaming industry. We are working with Sony Computer Entertainment to
develop the processor for its PlayStation3 system. And now we've won
the next-generation Xbox.'

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12552

Anyone disagree?
Old November 7th 03, 04:05 PM
No.6

All this wondering what CPU will xbox 2 have is meaningless. Just enjoy your
xbox that you now have. Are you that bored of the xbox all ready. If you are
well I suggest find some other hobby to make you happy.

Old November 7th 03, 04:09 PM
Gorf

"Sprite Scaler" wrote in message
om...
Up until today (at least for me) it seemed Xbox-2's CPU core was up in
the air. While it was known that IBM would be fabbing / manufacturing
the CPU, I think it was somewhat uncertain who would be *designing*
it. it could have been an AMD-designed, IBM-manufactured chip. but
now it seems it *will* be PowerPC-based.

Heh... wonder if people will STILL call it a PC, or whether they'll call it
a Mac

--
Gorf

Hoc nomen meum verum non est

Old November 7th 03, 04:13 PM
Michael Cargill

"No.6" wrote in message
All this wondering what CPU will xbox 2 have is meaningless. Just enjoy

your
xbox that you now have. Are you that bored of the xbox all ready. If you

are
well I suggest find some other hobby to make you happy.

What are you on about? Talking about Xbox 2 is no different to talking
about games that are not out yet.

--
Craftily Guffed by Michael Cargill
----------------------------------

Old November 7th 03, 06:53 PM
Bagpuss

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:27:32 -0800, Maniac wrote:

how do you get power pc from that?

Well its either power pc (RISC chip, e.g. a G5) based or cyrix based
and feck me I don't think they will be using a cyrix processor :-)
--
GSX600F - Matilda the cracked teapot, gaffer tape included
I'm not a nerd, I'm an empowered freak
Old November 7th 03, 08:30 PM
Maniac

it could also be x86, as in amd. there's nothing in there that says
they will go power pc or risc; so it's all still conjecture at this
point. this article says nothing new.

Old November 7th 03, 09:52 PM
Bagpuss

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:30:51 -0800, Maniac wrote:

it could also be x86, as in amd. there's nothing in there that says
they will go power pc or risc; so it's all still conjecture at this
point. this article says nothing new.

But then they still have the issue of NVidia backwards compatiblity in
the ATI graphics chip set. Its not just as simple as "its DX API" you
have to take into account different pixel shaders and coders taking
into account features of the NVidia chipset.
Old November 8th 03, 12:37 AM
Maniac

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:52:02 +0000, Bagpuss
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:30:51 -0800, Maniac wrote:

it could also be x86, as in amd. there's nothing in there that says
they will go power pc or risc; so it's all still conjecture at this
point. this article says nothing new.

But then they still have the issue of NVidia backwards compatiblity in
the ATI graphics chip set. Its not just as simple as "its DX API" you
have to take into account different pixel shaders and coders taking
into account features of the NVidia chipset.

well, 'compatibility' really wasn't discussed, but yea, i agree.
depends on how 'custom' the chip is, and honestly, i don't know
whether software written for xbox goes thru an api or it writes
directly to hardware. i always assumed it was via api...
Old November 8th 03, 02:02 AM
George

"Maniac" wrote in message
how do you get power pc from that?

"The new Xbox technologies will be based on the latest in IBM's family of
state-of-the-art processors;"

Unless they've something new up their sleeve the PowerPC chips would seem to
be their current state of the art processors.

There's a bit more info on the story he
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=dev&aid=2493
including speculation that XBox 2 may not be backwardly compatible.

I've wondered for a while, (since both announced ATI as partners for the
next gen) whether Xbox 2 and Gamecube 2 are one in the same. I thought it
would be a conflict of interests supplying both. Who would get priority?
Then Microsoft announce IBM as the cpu supplier, the same supplier of cpus
for the Gamecube. Perhaps as a partner Nintendo have convinced Microsoft of
the PowerPC's benefits. Isn't speculation great? :-)
--
Remove N0_SPAM_PLEAZE to email
It's a spring thing