Ever Hear of This One?

Old April 1st 04, 02:07 AM
Mike

Default Ever Hear of This One?

Just called Dell sales, 1-877-886-3355, rep in response to their tv ad for
a 4600C PC w/ flat panel monitor for $1000.00.
My buddy needs a new PC to replace his 4 y/o Dimension w/ Win98.

The rep is taking my personal information when she asked for my social
security number and my mother's maiden name!
No kidding. I told her that I didn't hear her correctly and to please
repeat the question which she did.
I had already given her my home address and phone number, with my SS# and
mother's maiden she's got everything
for an easy identity theft.

While composing this email I called Dell back and spoke w/ another sales rep
who told me they ask for SS# and mother's
maiden name when opening a premiere account. The first rep didn't tell me
that she just flat out asked for the info. I don't need need noo stinkin'
preiere account.
All a scammer has to do is lease phone numbers very similar to Dell then sit
back and wait for callers to dial their number by mistake.

Dell really needs to train some of their sales reps better,

Mike

Old April 2nd 04, 03:30 AM
Mike

Bad business. They should know better.

Mike

"Larry Greenwood" wrote in message
The thing about your experience that is frightening is that they expect

you
to give them the information to begin with. What is it to them if you

get
ripped off, its not their problem.

Larry

Old April 2nd 04, 03:39 AM
PC Medic

Hmmm, obviously never applied for credit before. These are standard
questions in the case of opening a credit account.
Now the fact that he was not told she was processing the credit application
was either mis-communication or wrong on her part, but requesting the
information, not at all.
I would have to ask why when someone requested the original posters SS# and
Mothers Maiden Name information and they were not aware they were applying
for credit, then why did they provide it??? I would suggest asking questions
then, not when you call back and say "Oh, by the way...."

Old April 4th 04, 12:29 AM
Mike

I was not applying for credit. I asked her to repeat the question , which
she did.
Then I thought I had dialed the wrong number.

Mike
\