winchester 3000+ running badly

Old March 1st 05, 07:26 AM
Highlandish

Qoth The Raven "General in

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:11:18 +1100, Highlandish wrote:

below is a cpu-z dump. it all seems normal and is running on an asus
a8v-deluxe rev1 with a new install of xp-pro, I have 1gig pc3200
(2x512).

problem is that this machine is running worse than my old
xp2800/nf7-s system.

are there any tweaks or configuration settings that will improve
this other than overclocking? I have the latest asus-a8v files
NameAMD Athlon 64 3000+ Code NameWinchester SpecificationAMD
Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ Family / Model / SteppingF F 0
Extended Family / ModelF 1F Brand ID4 PackageSocket 939 Core
SteppingDH8-D0 Technology0.09 µ Supported Instructions SetsMMX,
Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, x86-64 CPU Clock
Speed1802.3 MHz Clock multiplierx 9.0 HTT Bus Frequency200.3 MHz L1
Data Cache64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L1
Instruction Cache64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
size L2 Cache512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed1802.3 MHz (Full) L2 LocationOn Chip L2 Data Prefetch
Logicyes L2 Bus Width128 bits +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What clock speed are you running the processor at? With Cool & Quiet
enabled you have wide control over the clock speed. With Linux the
clock speed is controlled by the files in,

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

In Windows there is a control panel that allows you to select the
performance mode.

its running at the standard 1800 with the x9 setting

--
Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to put your two-cents
in?

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Old March 1st 05, 10:11 AM
Michael Paul

Hi,

Ed Light wrote:
"Ed" wrote
To enable CnQ in Window XP desktop, enable CnQ and APCI in bios,
install AMD64 CPU driver, Open control panel, select Power options,
set to Minimal Power Management.

That turns off the monitor after 15 minutes. I don't think it affect
cool'n'quiet.

Of course, it does. This power management option enables the dynamic
switching of the CPU speed as documented by AMD.
The other settings you are able to change (like monitor off) indeed
don't influence CnQ.
If you want to get full speed, try another power scheme like "Always
On" or "Desktop".

Michael

Old March 1st 05, 02:43 PM
Ed Light

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Ed Light wrote:
"Ed" wrote
To enable CnQ in Window XP desktop, enable CnQ and APCI in bios,
install AMD64 CPU driver, Open control panel, select Power options,
set to Minimal Power Management.

That turns off the monitor after 15 minutes. I don't think it affect
cool'n'quiet.

Of course, it does. This power management option enables the dynamic
switching of the CPU speed as documented by AMD.
The other settings you are able to change (like monitor off) indeed
don't influence CnQ.
If you want to get full speed, try another power scheme like "Always
On" or "Desktop".

I know AMD says so, but their own PowerNow Dashboard shows the action.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old March 1st 05, 03:13 PM
Michael Paul

Ed Light wrote:
"Ed" wrote
To enable CnQ in Window XP desktop, enable CnQ and APCI in bios,
install AMD64 CPU driver, Open control panel, select Power
options, set to Minimal Power Management.

That turns off the monitor after 15 minutes. I don't think it
affect cool'n'quiet.

Of course, it does. This power management option enables the
dynamic switching of the CPU speed as documented by AMD.
The other settings you are able to change (like monitor off)
indeed don't influence CnQ.
If you want to get full speed, try another power scheme like
"Always On" or "Desktop".

I know AMD says so, but their own PowerNow Dashboard shows the
action.

Sorry, let me see, if I understood you correctly:
If your power management is set to "Minimal Power Management" (and CnQ
is enabled in BIOS), then you should see CnQ working: CPU speed varies
with load. Right?
And what happens, if you set the power scheme to something different,
like "Always On", "Presentation", "Desktop"?

I am running W2k, there is a slightly different behaviour. After
installation of the AMD software, I get an additional register that
allows me to set CnQ directly to dynamic switching, or full speed.

greets, Michael

Old March 1st 05, 10:23 PM
Michael Paul

Am Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:55:43 -0600 schrieb Ed:

On 1 Mar 2005 06:13:42 -0800, "Michael Paul"
wrote:

And what happens, if you set the power scheme to something different,
like "Always On", "Presentation", "Desktop"?

Then CnQ is disabled and the CPU should run at full speed no matter what
the load is.

Seems it works like designed:-)

Michael
Old March 2nd 05, 01:37 AM
Ed Light

Ed Light wrote:
[...]

I wish I had that. I have Win XP sp2 (slipstreamed) and there is no setting
in the bios, but cnq is supported. I installed the amd driver and display
panel. There is no setting in those that I can find.

It may be that crystalcpuid can be used.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:38 AM
Ed Light

wrote:

And what happens, if you set the power scheme to something different,
like "Always On", "Presentation", "Desktop"?

Then CnQ is disabled and the CPU should run at full speed no matter what
the load is.

Actually I'm running a custom setting. I turned everything to "never" and
saved it as "Never".

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:48 AM
LBJGH

I agree with Ed, 2T will kill performance... have a look at this gif:

Command Rate @ 2T instead of 1T and/or running the ram at lower MHz then
the CPU bus would slow it down, check all your settings?

Ed