Linux Kernel-Source Package Question

Old January 10th 04, 08:25 PM
Jeff Lloyd

Default Linux Kernel-Source Package Question

I have a GeForce 3 Ti200 and am running RedHat Linux v9 with the latest
kernel from the RedHat Network update server. (I am not on that machine so
I don't have the version).

I really want to install the latest NVIDIA drivers to get the acceleration
features cooking, but when I get to the installation screen to the point at
which the installer is about to paint my HD with the new drivers, I get this
"No precompiled interface was found to match your kernel".

What is the kernel-source package and where do I find it to install it? I
went to the Add/Remove programs in RH9, but I cannot find anything that
closely resembles this...and yet another Linux mystery.

If anyone can help this newbie, it would be much appreciated.

Old January 11th 04, 10:55 AM
The Black Wibble

Jeff Lloyd wrote:
I have a GeForce 3 Ti200 and am running RedHat Linux v9 with the latest
kernel from the RedHat Network update server. (I am not on that machine so
I don't have the version).

I really want to install the latest NVIDIA drivers to get the acceleration
features cooking, but when I get to the installation screen to the point at
which the installer is about to paint my HD with the new drivers, I get this
"No precompiled interface was found to match your kernel".

What is the kernel-source package and where do I find it to install it? I
went to the Add/Remove programs in RH9, but I cannot find anything that
closely resembles this...and yet another Linux mystery.

If anyone can help this newbie, it would be much appreciated.

I think the "precompiled interface" is a program through which the
nvidia driver communicates to the kernel. The nvidia driver
installation process will attempt to compile one if none is found. But
you will first need to install the kernel source and development tools
if they aren't installed already. Under the Development section in
Add/Remove Applications tick Development Tools and Kernel Development.

The installation process requires that the X server first be shut down,
so log into a shell as the root user, type in telinit 3 to drop down to
run level 3. Install the drivers, configure /etc/X11/XF86Config as per
the instructions in the README file, and telinit 5 to restart the X server.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (15 x 200MHz)

To email me replace org.nz with net.nz

Old January 11th 04, 07:17 PM
Aetos

"Jeff Lloyd" wrote in message
I have a GeForce 3 Ti200 and am running RedHat Linux v9 with the latest
kernel from the RedHat Network update server. (I am not on that machine

so
I don't have the version).

I really want to install the latest NVIDIA drivers to get the acceleration
features cooking, but when I get to the installation screen to the point

at
which the installer is about to paint my HD with the new drivers, I get

this
"No precompiled interface was found to match your kernel".

What is the kernel-source package and where do I find it to install it? I
went to the Add/Remove programs in RH9, but I cannot find anything that
closely resembles this...and yet another Linux mystery.

If anyone can help this newbie, it would be much appreciated.

Try using the command "export CC_MISMATCH_IGNORE" before running the

nvidia installer script. Worked for me.