Leadtek GeForceFX 5950Ultra Games crashing

Old January 10th 04, 03:45 PM
Charles Crawley

Default Leadtek GeForceFX 5950Ultra Games crashing

Hi,

I have just replaced my Gainward GeForce4 4200Ti with a nice, new, shiny
Leadtek WinFast A380 Ultra TDH MyVIVO card (GeForceFX 5950 Ultra) and am now
having problems in a couple of games, namely Star Wars: Knights of the Old
Republic and Battlefield 1942.
Both these games worked fine in my old setup, but now BF1942 crashes
directly from within the game to desktop with no errors after about 30 mins
and KOTOR crashes with an error

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Barton 3200+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce 2 Motherboard BIOS Rev 1005
2x 512Mb Corsair DDR3200 RAM
Leadtek Winfast GeForceFX 5950 Ultra TDH MyVIVO
Plextor DVD/CDRW
120Gb Western Digital SATA HDD

The motherboard is running with the nForce 3.13 drivers and the graphics
card is running with the 53.03 drivers. I have checked my temps and they are
all fine, including the graphics card temp immediately after the games
crashes. I haven't yet tried Leadtek's own drivers, but as they have a
completely up to date version, I might well do just to see what happens.
As I said, nothing has changed software-wise since I had my GeForce4, except
removing the Detonator drivers, installing the new card and reinstalling the
Dets. One thing I did notice is that when I tried to install the 2.13 WDM
VIVO drivers for the card, the TV Tuner device refused to start.

Anyway, if anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Charles

Old January 10th 04, 03:46 PM
Charles Crawley

Idiot that I am, I completely forgot to mention my OS:

Windows XP Pro SP1 with all latest Windows Update hotfixes

Old January 10th 04, 11:18 PM
chris

"Charles Crawley" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just replaced my Gainward GeForce4 4200Ti with a nice, new, shiny
Leadtek WinFast A380 Ultra TDH MyVIVO card (GeForceFX 5950 Ultra) and am

now
having problems

snip

[...]

With regard to your 2.13 WDM vivo drivers this was taken from an earlier
post (chaintech TI4600 question)

"please" wrote in message
Thanks for your help, I tried to install the nvidia WDM drivers but

windows blue screens after reboot
NVCap.sys is the error I get I found some help or more suggestions on the
net but they didn't work, might you
have any, any suggestion is welcome

Thanks again

Since 2.13_wdm-vivo.exe is nasty to your card, try NVIDIA_WDM_1.08.exe or
NVIDIA_WDM_1.22.exe from
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/WDM/. Clicking on a WDM package the first
time will begin the process to
remove any currently installed WDM driver files. Always respond with yes
when queried about deleting any
shared or newer files. Clicking on the package the second time will install
the drivers.

Tony.

Thank TONY if this works for you also!!!!

chris

Old January 10th 04, 11:37 PM
Charles Crawley

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have actually now removed the VIVO drivers
entirely, as I do not need them right now and would rather have my games
working!

I have also just installed the Leadtek 53.03 drivers andd they have not
helped, not that I was particularly hopeful!

Cheers,

Charles

Old January 11th 04, 09:26 PM
chris

"Charles Crawley" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just replaced my Gainward GeForce4 4200Ti with a nice, new, shiny
Leadtek WinFast A380 Ultra TDH MyVIVO card (GeForceFX 5950 Ultra) and am

now
having problems in a couple of games, namely Star Wars: Knights of the Old
Republic and Battlefield 1942.
Both these games worked fine in my old setup, but now BF1942 crashes
directly from within the game to desktop with no errors after about 30

mins
and KOTOR crashes with an error

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Barton 3200+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce 2 Motherboard BIOS Rev 1005
2x 512Mb Corsair DDR3200 RAM
Leadtek Winfast GeForceFX 5950 Ultra TDH MyVIVO
Plextor DVD/CDRW
120Gb Western Digital SATA HDD

^^^^^^noted you are using a barton chip on a nforce2 board, I had to update
the bios on my nforce2 abit nf7s board because games were crashing or i was
getting corrupted skys etc. Updating the bios cured the problem completely.
I cannot figure why. I went from thoroughbred 2400 to barton 2600 - no
other system changes. I currently have d18 (the newest for my board at the
time). I noticed that the newest for your board (version 2.0?) is the 1007.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...luxe&Type=BIOS

chris

Old January 12th 04, 12:22 AM
Charles Crawley

"chris" wrote in message
^^^^^^noted you are using a barton chip on a nforce2 board, I had to

update
the bios on my nforce2 abit nf7s board because games were crashing or i

was
getting corrupted skys etc. Updating the bios cured the problem

completely.
I cannot figure why. I went from thoroughbred 2400 to barton 2600 - no
other system changes. I currently have d18 (the newest for my board at

the
time). I noticed that the newest for your board (version 2.0?) is the

1007.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...luxe&Type=BIOS

chris

Thanks, Chris... I noticed the new BIOS myself and updated it yesterday, but
things are still the same. A friend is going to lend me a processor, memory
and I still have my old GeForce4, so I am going to do some serious swapping
about to get to the bottom of this.

Extra info: 3DMark2003 crashes and reboots the PC straight after the CPU
test using the "Wings of Fury" benchmark loads. Neverwinter Nights (v1.61)
also crashes with this error:

Faulting application nwmain.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll,
version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x0000b2bd.

This error is very similar to the error when SW: KotOR crashes.

Cheers,

Charles