Anyone hear of this?

Old August 21st 04, 06:41 PM
Mister Charlie

Default Anyone hear of this?

I have a LiteOn Buslink USB external CDRW that works fine in every
capacity EXCEPT: it won't play audio.

That's not to say audio doesn't work, it will rip fine and play
games fine...but even if I insert an mp3 disk, it will convert all
the tracks to 44 byte CDA's instead of the actual mp3's.

I've installed and uninstalled and updated firmware and everything
I can think of...any ideas? THANKS!
Old August 21st 04, 07:36 PM
Mike Richter

Mister Charlie wrote:
I have a LiteOn Buslink USB external CDRW that works fine in every
capacity EXCEPT: it won't play audio.

That's not to say audio doesn't work, it will rip fine and play
games fine...but even if I insert an mp3 disk, it will convert all
the tracks to 44 byte CDA's instead of the actual mp3's.

I've installed and uninstalled and updated firmware and everything
I can think of...any ideas? THANKS!

1. There is no "CDA" file; in fact, there are no files at all on a
CD-DA. The .CDA extension is an artifice of the OS to represent the tracks.

2. A CD-DA, whether it came from MP3s, WAVs or some other format, is
still a CD-DA. Its origin does not show. If the MP3 disc is a CD-DA made
from MP3, you are seeing exactly what you should. If it is a collection
of MP3 files, you may be seeing the effect of a VXB which in a non-NT OS
will lie to the OS about the type of file, letting you 'copy' a track as
though it were WAV, MP3 or other type.

3. To listen to a CD-DA in a modern version of Windows, try playing it
with digital output. You haven't connected the audio output from the
external drive to your computer. Therefore, the audio can't get there in
analogue from here.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old August 21st 04, 08:22 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Mister Charlie wrote:

I have a LiteOn Buslink USB external CDRW that works fine in every
capacity EXCEPT: it won't play audio.

That's not to say audio doesn't work, it will rip fine and play
games fine...but even if I insert an mp3 disk, it will convert all
the tracks to 44 byte CDA's instead of the actual mp3's.

I've installed and uninstalled and updated firmware and everything
I can think of...any ideas? THANKS!

See if Digital Audio is enabled in both Control Panel and Windows Media
Player.
Old August 21st 04, 10:58 PM
Mister Charlie

smh wrote in
:

. --------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...386@mindspring

Mister Charlie wrote:

I have a LiteOn Buslink USB external CDRW that works fine in
every capacity EXCEPT: it won't play audio.

That's not to say audio doesn't work, it will rip fine and play
games fine...but even if I insert an mp3 disk, it will convert
all the tracks to 44 byte CDA's instead of the actual mp3's.

I've installed and uninstalled and updated firmware and
everything I can think of...any ideas? THANKS!

See if Digital Audio is enabled in both Control Panel and
Windows Media Player.

Yes, I did, thanks. No difference whether on or off.

Old August 21st 04, 11:01 PM
Mister Charlie

Mike Richter wrote in
:

Mister Charlie wrote:
[...]

Arg. Yes, of course, cda is a representation, I forgot.

And I do have a pair of stereo plug outputs in the back, but I've
never had to use them, as it seems the audio was always carried by
the USB, yes? (If not then I guess I just need a single plug
stereo adapter to go into the sound card). I just assumed the
audio was being carried by the USB.

Old August 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
smh

Mister Charlie wrote:
smh wrote:
Mister Charlie wrote:

I have a LiteOn Buslink USB external CDRW that works fine in
every capacity EXCEPT: it won't play audio.

That's not to say audio doesn't work, it will rip fine and play
games fine...but even if I insert an mp3 disk, it will convert
all the tracks to 44 byte CDA's instead of the actual mp3's.

I've installed and uninstalled and updated firmware and
everything I can think of...any ideas? THANKS!

See if Digital Audio is enabled in both Control Panel and
Windows Media Player.

Yes, I did, thanks. No difference whether on or off.

Double check for Digital Audio in Multimedia and System/CD Properties of
Control Panel. And check DMA is enabled for the drive.

Get one of the CD Players:
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/axatis/...e/cdplayer.htm

Then play audio CD.

If still doen't work, I am outa ideas.
Old August 22nd 04, 07:46 AM
Mike Richter

Mister Charlie wrote:

And I do have a pair of stereo plug outputs in the back, but I've
never had to use them, as it seems the audio was always carried by
the USB, yes? (If not then I guess I just need a single plug
stereo adapter to go into the sound card). I just assumed the
audio was being carried by the USB.

The assumption is not wrong, but the fact that audio is in that signal
does not mean that you're using it. If you have the option, use digital
audio; if on an older OS, then you'll have to run a cable from those
outputs to Line In on your sound card and take the extra DAC/ADC.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old August 28th 04, 08:40 AM
Mister Charlie

Mike Richter wrote in
:

Mister Charlie wrote:

And I do have a pair of stereo plug outputs in the back, but
I've never had to use them, as it seems the audio was always
carried by the USB, yes? (If not then I guess I just need a
single plug stereo adapter to go into the sound card). I just
assumed the audio was being carried by the USB.

The assumption is not wrong, but the fact that audio is in that
signal does not mean that you're using it. If you have the
option, use digital audio; if on an older OS, then you'll have
to run a cable from those outputs to Line In on your sound card
and take the extra DAC/ADC.

Mike

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually on XP but the USB's are
1.1's...really, at this point...I'd rather go digital but if I have
to use the stereo plugs I will.

Thanks again, Mike.