GT-9600: Linux driver issues under openSUSE 11.3/12.1

Old February 10th 12, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.os.linux.suse
Bernd Giesen

Default GT-9600: Linux driver issues under openSUSE 11.3/12.1

Hi all,

on my desktop machine running either openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 or openSUSE
12.1 x86_64 with KDE 4.x some applications hang for a while or remain
freezed as long as I'm using the most actual graphics card driver for my
NVIDIA GT-9600 graphics card (currently nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop
290.10_k3.1.0_1.2-12.2-x86_64 etc.) which was installed by YAST from the
official NVIDIA repository for openSUSE.

Under both distribtions I could temporarily help myself by downloading
the older NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-285.05.09.run package from the NVIDIA
archive on their homepage to build this driver manually based on the
actual kernel sources with the disadvantage, that I always have to
rebuild it after a kernel update.

Does anyone know about these issues? And, if so, does there exist
another solution than only using the above-mentioned older driver? Is
there a way to use the most recent offical driver from the repository
anyway?

Thanks in advance,
Bernd
Old February 12th 12, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.os.linux.suse
darklight

Bernd Giesen wrote:

[...]

have you concidered you 9600 gpu might be the problem i use a 460 gpu with
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run driver no problems on 11.4 kde4.7.4 kernel
3.2.4.1.1

Having the newset driver does not mean your gpu will run better.
whats the disadvantage of compiling the nvidia driver?