Phenom 2 955BE 4 core?

Old March 20th 10, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter Geddes

Default Phenom 2 955BE 4 core?

I have an AMD PhenomII X4 955 Black Edition and this is a 4 core processor?

I have run CPUZ 1.54 64 bit and it says that the processor is running 2
cores and 2 threads. I thought that this was meant to be a 4 core CPU?

I have run CineBench 11 and it says it is 2 core 2 Threads also.

Is this right? CPU is being overclocked at 4.02GHz. Would this make a
difference?

Thanks

--

All incoming and outgoing emails & files scanned by ESET Smart Security 4

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4961 (20100320) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 20th 10, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Stefan Pendl

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:44:07 -0000, "Peter Geddes" wrote:

I have an AMD PhenomII X4 955 Black Edition and this is a 4 core processor?

I have run CPUZ 1.54 64 bit and it says that the processor is running 2
cores and 2 threads. I thought that this was meant to be a 4 core CPU?

I have run CineBench 11 and it says it is 2 core 2 Threads also.

Is this right? CPU is being overclocked at 4.02GHz. Would this make a
difference?

Thanks

If you overclock the new quad-core CPUs, there will be some cores merged due to overclocking.
The latest generation of CPUs have the ability to automatically overclock, if need is, so you do not have to change a thing
manually.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows 7 x64 RTM
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
Old March 20th 10, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"Peter Geddes" writes:
I have an AMD PhenomII X4 955 Black Edition and this is a 4 core processor?

Yes.

I have run CPUZ 1.54 64 bit and it says that the processor is running 2
cores and 2 threads. I thought that this was meant to be a 4 core CPU?

I have run CineBench 11 and it says it is 2 core 2 Threads also.

It sounds like these programs are just badly written.

[That sort of terminology might make sense with some intel CPUs, but it
doesn't with the phenom. Perhaps the program authors only tested their
software on intel hardware...]

-Miles

--
Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we
are having.
Old March 21st 10, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Richard P[_4_]

On 20/03/2010 22:19, Miles Bader wrote:
"Peter writes:
I have an AMD PhenomII X4 955 Black Edition and this is a 4 core processor?

Yes.

I have run CPUZ 1.54 64 bit and it says that the processor is running 2
cores and 2 threads. I thought that this was meant to be a 4 core CPU?

I have run CineBench 11 and it says it is 2 core 2 Threads also.

It sounds like these programs are just badly written.

[That sort of terminology might make sense with some intel CPUs, but it
doesn't with the phenom. Perhaps the program authors only tested their
software on intel hardware...]

-Miles

open up task manager and goto performance and see how many cores it
recons you have. If it only says 2, you may have to do a reinstall of
windows.

Old March 21st 10, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter Geddes

Thanks for the replies. Task Manager also sees just two.

I will consider a re-install at a later date.

If Windows 7 is re-installed with the overclocked CPU, will it see the 4
cores?

Thanks

signature database 4962 (20100321) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 21st 10, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Stefan Pendl

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:11:28 -0000, "Peter Geddes" wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Task Manager also sees just two.

I will consider a re-install at a later date.

If Windows 7 is re-installed with the overclocked CPU, will it see the 4
cores?

I still don't think, that you will get the result you like with a reinstall.
Have you read the manual of the CPU and the mother-board about overclocking?

What did you use to overclock the CPU?
What BIOS setting has been changed?

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows 7 x64 RTM
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
Old March 21st 10, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Richard P[_4_]

On 21/03/2010 19:51, Stefan Pendl wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:11:28 -0000, "Peter wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Task Manager also sees just two.

I will consider a re-install at a later date.

If Windows 7 is re-installed with the overclocked CPU, will it see the 4
cores?

I still don't think, that you will get the result you like with a reinstall.
Have you read the manual of the CPU and the mother-board about overclocking?

What did you use to overclock the CPU?
What BIOS setting has been changed?

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows 7 x64 RTM
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM

It could be the bios bit it's very unlikely. If you have any ACC setting
in your bios you could make sure all the cores are enabled in there.
This is most likely an issue with windows not updating the cpu it's
using properly.
Old March 22nd 10, 09:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Stefan Pendl

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:40:39 +0000, Richard P wrote:

[...]

Before a complete reinstall, I would go for updating the driver of the computer device in device manager.
This is an option to allow changing from single processor to multi-processor or multi-core setups too.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows 7 x64 RTM
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
Old March 26th 10, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter Geddes

I went into the BIOS and increased the multiplier to 20 and increased the
voltage to I think something like 1.35v. System is very stable.

signature database 4976 (20100326) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4976 (20100326) __________

http://www.eset.com