Opteron 250 and amd-v

Old December 16th 09, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
kevinm3574

Default Opteron 250 and amd-v

I've a server with 2 AMD Opteron 250 cpu's. AMD's website seems to
indicate that it should support amd-v but I beg to differ. A
DMIDECODE on my Linux server shows no indication of Hardware
Virtualization being available for the Opteron 250. I'm a little
****ed about this as I bought this server thinking that that CPU
supported Hardware Virtualization and now I'm thinking I've been
duped. Any insight would be very helpful. FWIW, the BIOS on the
machine is AMI 1.71 and there is nowhere in that BIOS that allows me
to enable/disable virtualization.

Thanks.

Kevin
Old December 16th 09, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* kevinm3574:
I've a server with 2 AMD Opteron 250 cpu's. AMD's website seems to
indicate that it should support amd-v

None of the Socket 940 Opteron 1xx, 2xx and 8xx support AMD-V. For
virtualization you need Socket F Opterons (1xxx, 2xxx, 8xxx).

Benjamin
Old December 16th 09, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:14:52 -0800, kevinm3574 wrote:

I've a server with 2 AMD Opteron 250 cpu's. AMD's website seems to
indicate that it should support amd-v but I beg to differ. A DMIDECODE
on my Linux server shows no indication of Hardware Virtualization being
available for the Opteron 250. I'm a little ****ed about this as I
bought this server thinking that that CPU supported Hardware
Virtualization and now I'm thinking I've been duped. Any insight would
be very helpful. FWIW, the BIOS on the machine is AMI 1.71 and there is
nowhere in that BIOS that allows me to enable/disable virtualization.

I don't know much about the Opteron. Maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

Or maybe you need a bios upgrade.

Old December 17th 09, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

kevinm3574 writes:
I'm a little ****ed about this as I bought this server thinking that
that CPU supported Hardware Virtualization and now I'm thinking I've
been duped. Any insight would be very helpful. FWIW, the BIOS on the
machine is AMI 1.71 and there is nowhere in that BIOS that allows me
to enable/disable virtualization.

Dunno about your hardware, but there are reports of BIOSes which
intentionally disable CPU virtualization support (and it can't be turned
back on).

Supposedly the idea is that the maker then charges more for a
hardware-identical model where the BIOS _doesn't_ do that.

I don't know any actual names though.

-Miles

--
"An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that
there can't be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the
Old January 13th 10, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steffen Moser

On 12/16/2009 11:57 PM, Wes Newell wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:14:52 -0800, kevinm3574 wrote:

I've a server with 2 AMD Opteron 250 cpu's. AMD's website seems to
indicate that it should support amd-v but I beg to differ. A DMIDECODE
on my Linux server shows no indication of Hardware Virtualization being
available for the Opteron 250. I'm a little ****ed about this as I
bought this server thinking that that CPU supported Hardware
Virtualization and now I'm thinking I've been duped. Any insight would
be very helpful. FWIW, the BIOS on the machine is AMI 1.71 and there is
nowhere in that BIOS that allows me to enable/disable virtualization.

I don't know much about the Opteron. Maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

Or maybe you need a bios upgrade.

A BIOS upgrade won't help in this case as the Opteron 250 does not
support AMD-V.

Best regards,
Steffen

AMD Opteron 185 OC Help Dark Helmet Overclocking AMD Processors 1 March 8th 07 09:35 AM
two Opteron 254s or two Opteron 270s for CS2 shawn AMD x86-64 Processors 4 December 23rd 05 07:04 PM
AMD Opteron Ken' Asus Motherboards 7 December 9th 05 11:18 PM
Current opteron MoBo and new opteron code named Venus, Troy, and Athens Dan Irwin General 2 April 18th 04 01:48 PM
Sun might help Opteron go beyond 4-way Yousuf Khan General 0 November 17th 03 07:53 AM