AMD and Windows7 Virtualization of XP compatibility mode

Old May 9th 09, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steve Foster

Default AMD and Windows7 Virtualization of XP compatibility mode

Al Dykes wrote:

In article ,
Stefan Pendl wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2009 01:33:42 -0500, Darren Garrison

wrote:

On Thu, 7 May 2009 21:46:52 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Foster"
wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the
BIOS ("did" because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days
ago).

The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if you can
install and run Virtual PC on your current installation, you will
be able to use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

(a) I don't have a system. I'l looking for parts and the ability to
run W7's XP compatibility box is someting I want.

(b) I'm told reliably that there is more than one hardware
implementation of VM assistance and W7's XP compatibility box is
particular to one of them and it's the one in the Intel Atom 500
series chip.

You need either an AMD CPU with AMD-V, or an Intel CPU with Intel VT.

Both are supported by the new Windows 7 Virtual PC, which is the basis
of the XP virtual machine (note that this will only be available in
Enterprise, Professional and Ultimate editions of Windows 7).

*Some* Atom chips have Intel VT, some do not. Here's the basic spec
chart for all Atoms:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm

--
Steve Foster
SSL Certificates, Domains, etc.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
Old May 9th 09, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steve Foster

Al Dykes wrote:

In article ,
Richard P wrote:
Al Dykes wrote:

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out
X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to

the BIOS ("did" because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few
days ago). The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if
you can install and run Virtual PC on your current installation, you
will be able to use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

(a) I don't have a system. I'l looking for parts and the ability to
run W7's XP compatibility box is someting I want.

(b) I'm told reliably that there is more than one hardware
implementation of VM assistance and W7's XP compatibility box is
particular to one of them and it's the one in the Intel Atom 500
series chip.

It supports the AMD virtualization just fine. The AMD X2's and X4's
use AMD-V which is fully compatible with virtual pc.

I'm asking about the XP compatibility box that is included in Windows
7. I'm told it works only on certain current chips.

Microsoft say AMD-V *or* Intel VT required.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...gure-bios.aspx

They have links to CPU checkers for both.

Old May 9th 09, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 9 May 2009 13:32:59 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Foster"
wrote:

I was working on the basis that they don't have it, as the product
overview pages on AMD.com don't mention it - and they're very keen on
doing so if the model does.

But given the multiple generations of X2, it's likely that there's a
point somewhere in the product lifecycle where AMD-V got included.

From a little googling, it looks like all AM2 Athlon 64 and X2s support AMD-V,
but not the Socket 939 ones.
Old May 11th 09, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Victek

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the BIOS
("did"
because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days ago).

The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if you can install and
run Virtual PC on your current installation, you will be
able to use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

---

I was wondering about this too since I have used Virtual PC in the past with
an Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939), which does not have the support in
hardware. Apparently this new version being released for Windows 7 DOES
require it - performance? security? or ???

Old May 12th 09, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steffen Moser

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the
BIOS ("did" because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days
ago).

I was working on the basis that they don't have it, as the product
overview pages on AMD.com don't mention it - and they're very keen on
doing so if the model does.

But given the multiple generations of X2, it's likely that there's a
point somewhere in the product lifecycle where AMD-V got included.

IIRC, all AMD Desktop CPUs (Athlon 64, X2 and Phenom) made for
socket AM2, AM2+ or AM3 have AMD-V, the ones made for socket 754
and 939 don't.

HTH,
Steffen
Old May 26th 09, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
mr deo

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

Windows7 has an XP "compatibility box" included but I am told it
requires a specific flavor of virtualization and the Intel Atom 500
CPU series was named as being compatible.

Will AMD 64-bit chips run XP mode with Windows7?

--
Al Dykes
News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is

advertising.

It's not all it's cracked up to be..
You should test to see if the feature will work for your product before you
decide if it's worth basing hardware requirements off of such a solution.
Basically, since it's all a "Virtual Machine" then a lot of hardware can be
lost/ignored!.. This can sometimes include USB ports, so no adding/removing
media with some applications.

Old May 31st 09, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Gary Colligan[_3_]

mr deo wrote:
"Al Dykes" wrote in message
Windows7 has an XP "compatibility box" included but I am told it
requires a specific flavor of virtualization and the Intel Atom 500
CPU series was named as being compatible.

Will AMD 64-bit chips run XP mode with Windows7?

--
Al Dykes
News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is

advertising.

It's not all it's cracked up to be..
You should test to see if the feature will work for your product before you
decide if it's worth basing hardware requirements off of such a solution.
Basically, since it's all a "Virtual Machine" then a lot of hardware can be
lost/ignored!.. This can sometimes include USB ports, so no adding/removing
media with some applications.

It will work find, usb ports work also, so does all the other hardware,
DVD drive, printers, etc. I use it, but you will not get games to works
as it only use a old VGA video driver [32/64 trio] I use it for running
Explorer 6 to test web pages, & some other old programs that did not run
on Vista as it has full XP in it, it even get updates in xp.....
Old June 1st 09, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Al Dykes

In article ,
Gary Colligan wrote:
mr deo wrote:
"Al Dykes" wrote in message
[...]

Can the driver be set as high as 1600x1200, my current setting?

If a 1600x1200 monitor existed when this driver was current, I
couldn't afford it.

--
Al Dykes

Old August 23rd 09, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Tim Murray

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:37:28 -0400, Steffen Moser wrote:
IIRC, all AMD Desktop CPUs (Athlon 64, X2 and Phenom) made for
socket AM2, AM2+ or AM3 have AMD-V, the ones made for socket 754
and 939 don't.

How would I find out what socket an HP Pavilion p6130f using a Phenom-9750
(A) uses?

Old August 23rd 09, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Rodney Pont[_4_]

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:16:47 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:37:28 -0400, Steffen Moser wrote:
IIRC, all AMD Desktop CPUs (Athlon 64, X2 and Phenom) made for
socket AM2, AM2+ or AM3 have AMD-V, the ones made for socket 754
and 939 don't.

How would I find out what socket an HP Pavilion p6130f using a Phenom-9750
(A) uses?

Have you not heard about Google? http://www.google.com or a local one,
I use www.google.co.uk . I typed in

HP Pavilion p6130f socket