AMD and Windows7 Virtualization of XP compatibility mode

Old May 7th 09, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Al Dykes

Default AMD and Windows7 Virtualization of XP compatibility mode

Windows7 has an XP "compatibility box" included but I am told it
requires a specific flavor of virtualization and the Intel Atom 500
CPU series was named as being compatible.

Will AMD 64-bit chips run XP mode with Windows7?

--
Al Dykes

Old May 7th 09, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steve Foster

Al Dykes wrote:

Windows7 has an XP "compatibility box" included but I am told it
requires a specific flavor of virtualization and the Intel Atom 500
CPU series was named as being compatible.

Will AMD 64-bit chips run XP mode with Windows7?

If they have AMD-V, the hardware virtualisation extensions.

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out, Phenoms are ok
in the desktop lineup, and 2nd-generation Opterons onwards (ie
1000/2000/8000+ models) in the server and workstation segments.

CPU-Z should hopefully show whether a specific AMD CPU supports AMD-V.

--
Steve Foster
SSL Certificates, Domains, etc.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
Old May 8th 09, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Thu, 7 May 2009 21:46:52 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Foster"
wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the BIOS ("did"
because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days ago).
Old May 8th 09, 09:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Stefan Pendl

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the BIOS ("did"
because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days ago).

The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if you can install and run Virtual PC on your current installation, you will be
able to use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows Vista SP 1
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
Old May 8th 09, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Al Dykes

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the BIOS ("did"
because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days ago).

The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if you can install and run Virtual PC on your current installation, you will be
able to use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

(a) I don't have a system. I'l looking for parts and the ability to
run W7's XP compatibility box is someting I want.

(b) I'm told reliably that there is more than one hardware
implementation of VM assistance and W7's XP compatibility box is
particular to one of them and it's the one in the Intel Atom 500
series chip.

--
Al Dykes

Old May 8th 09, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Richard P[_4_]

Al Dykes wrote:

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out
X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the BIOS ("did"
because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days ago).

The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if you can install and run Virtual PC on your current installation, you will be
able to use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

(a) I don't have a system. I'l looking for parts and the ability to
run W7's XP compatibility box is someting I want.

(b) I'm told reliably that there is more than one hardware
implementation of VM assistance and W7's XP compatibility box is
particular to one of them and it's the one in the Intel Atom 500
series chip.

It supports the AMD virtualization just fine. The AMD X2's and X4's use
AMD-V which is fully compatible with virtual pc. It's true there is more
than one hardware implementation but they does exactly the same thing.

Old May 8th 09, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Fri, 08 May 2009 10:06:19 +0200, Stefan Pendl
wrote:

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

Not, in a word, true.

Old May 8th 09, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Al Dykes

In article ,
Richard P wrote:
Al Dykes wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm asking about the XP compatibility box that is included in Windows
7. I'm told it works only on certain current chips.

Has anyone tried it yet?

--
Al Dykes

Old May 9th 09, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steve Foster

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the
BIOS ("did" because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days
ago).

I was working on the basis that they don't have it, as the product
overview pages on AMD.com don't mention it - and they're very keen on
doing so if the model does.

But given the multiple generations of X2, it's likely that there's a
point somewhere in the product lifecycle where AMD-V got included.

Old May 9th 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Steve Foster

wrote:

I think this basically means Athlon 64 and X2 are out

X2s have virtulization. At least, my 5050e did, according to the
BIOS ("did" because I replaced it with a Phenom II 810 a few days
ago).

The virtualization mode is done via Virtual PC, so if you can install
and run Virtual PC on your current installation, you will be able to
use the Win7 included virtual XP too.

It's done with a new version of Virtual PC (that only runs on Windows
7), so testing with VPC2007 is pointless.

The hardware virtualization is not a must, it is just an option.

Nope, it's a must.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...uirements.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...gure-bios.aspx