original Phenoms and the TLB bug-- still good enough?

Old March 26th 09, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

Default original Phenoms and the TLB bug-- still good enough?

Anyone running Phenom "1" processors that have the TLB bug? Is it obscure
enough that you can still use the CPU without typically running into it?

I ask because I had been planning on waiting until around the end of the year
and seeing what prices were like on Phenom II quads to do a drop-in upgrade for
my Athlon X2 5050e. But I'm reeeaaalllly tempted by the Phenom 9600 Agena
2.3GHz for 70 bucks at Newegg.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear
Old March 28th 09, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal

I don't know how often the bug is likely to surface, but the BIOS of most
motherboards will turn the TLB off if you have one of these cpus. I have one
in one of my computers. The lack of a TLB theoritically slows things down a
bit but for causual browsing it isn't noticeable. I've never bothered to
actually bench the cpu with TLB on and off.

Old March 28th 09, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
Anyone running Phenom "1" processors that have the TLB bug? Is it obscure
enough that you can still use the CPU without typically running into it?

I ask because I had been planning on waiting until around the end of the

year
and seeing what prices were like on Phenom II quads to do a drop-in

upgrade for
my Athlon X2 5050e. But I'm reeeaaalllly tempted by the Phenom 9600 Agena
2.3GHz for 70 bucks at Newegg.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...=2277833&FTVAR
_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Line ar

get a stepping b

Old March 28th 09, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:58:06 -0400, "pokey man"
wrote:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...=2277833&FTVAR
_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Lin ear

get a stepping b

But the only thing making me think about the 9600 was that it cost 70 bucks.
Can I get a 9650 for 70 bucks? (Okay, I already know the answer to that). The
"cheap drop-in upgrade" was the compelling point of it.
Old March 29th 09, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

wrote:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...d=2277833&FTVA

_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Lin ear

get a stepping b

But the only thing making me think about the 9600 was that it cost 70

bucks.
Can I get a 9650 for 70 bucks? (Okay, I already know the answer to that).

The
"cheap drop-in upgrade" was the compelling point of it.

you get what u pay for, so why not pay 20-30 more and get a processor that
has nothing wrong with it

ok, so u have to pay shipping...Im sure if you search you can find a
stepping B processor for 70/80 bucks

Pokeyman