Overclocking Phemon II 940

Old March 12th 09, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal

Default Overclocking Phemon II 940

"Miles Bader" wrote in message
"pokey man" writes:
What about the [rumored, as I can't remember where I saw it] problems
with DDR3 support in the first Phenom II revision...?

look here for that issue:

http://www.techspot.com/news/33610-a...33-memory.html

So... is the conclusion that: messing about in bios is required to run
DDR3 at full speed, but doing so is generally safe as long as one
doesn't use "cheapo" memory modules?

Just getting DDR2 to run at full speed can require bios tweaking and even
then it might not work. I went through an M2AVM and a couple of M3series
boards, and I was never able to get any of them to run memory at 1033.

In the end, I scrapped my Asus boards and I'm now using a FoxConn A79AS -
and I run the memory at 800MHz because even though it is the memory the
manufacturer recommends, it still isn't stable at 1033 and I don't have the
time to dinker with it. YMMV...works for some, but not for others.

Old March 12th 09, 07:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Rodney Pont[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:03:01 -0700, Zootal wrote:

Just getting DDR2 to run at full speed can require bios tweaking and even
then it might not work. I went through an M2AVM and a couple of M3series
boards, and I was never able to get any of them to run memory at 1033.

I'm running the memory in my M2A-VM HDMI board at 1066 and I didn't
have to do anything, well apart from putting in an AM2+ CPU and 1066
memory that is. I can't find now where it says it will only run memory
that fast with an AM2+ cpu but I do remember reading it.

Found it - in the M2A-MX manual. I had the 1066 memory running at that
speed with an AMD 9750(95W) cpu and the M2A-VM system was a bit
'cluncky' with the AMD X2 4000+ in there so I tried the cpu and memory
form the M2A-MX and saw it pick up the 1066 memory at post. It runs
beautifully with the AM2+ cpu but neither of them really liked the x2
4000+.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old March 12th 09, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

I think my AM2+ MB has a note that PC1066 mem may not work reliably if
all 4 dimm slots are full or something... (I ended up buying PC800 just
because that's mostly what the stores had, and I was getting tired and
.... bluh :-)

-Miles

--
Success, n. The one unpardonable sin against one's fellows.
Old March 12th 09, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal

Yes, most definitely doesn't work with 4 full slots. With 2 slots I got it
to work most of the time, but I'd still get random blue screens a couple
times a day. Dropped the speed to 800 and problem went away. In the end it
just wasn't worth the trouble.

The Foxconn board has an extra power connector on the board, but I don't
remember now if that is for memory or video card power.

Old March 13th 09, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.kge8x40.pminews@ouse .infohitsystems.ltd.uk...
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:03:01 -0700, Zootal wrote:

Just getting DDR2 to run at full speed can require bios tweaking and even
then it might not work. I went through an M2AVM and a couple of M3series
boards, and I was never able to get any of them to run memory at 1033.

I'm running the memory in my M2A-VM HDMI board at 1066 and I didn't
have to do anything, well apart from putting in an AM2+ CPU and 1066
memory that is. I can't find now where it says it will only run memory
that fast with an AM2+ cpu but I do remember reading it.

yup I read that too... only stands to reason must have 1066 bus controller
to run 1066 memory which btw is now on die in the amd line of phenom

Old March 14th 09, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal

"pokey man" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
Yes, most definitely doesn't work with 4 full slots. With 2 slots I got
it
to work most of the time, but I'd still get random blue screens a couple
times a day. Dropped the speed to 800 and problem went away. In the end
it
just wasn't worth the trouble.

The Foxconn board has an extra power connector on the board, but I don't
remember now if that is for memory or video card power.

video

Yah, I popped the top and looked inside - power connector right next to the
first pcie slot. Just for fun I bumped the memory up to 1066. It ran for
about 4 hours before it locked up solid. sigh...back to 800 for me

Old March 19th 09, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Zootal" wrote in message

"pokey man" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
Yes, most definitely doesn't work with 4 full slots. With 2 slots I got
it
to work most of the time, but I'd still get random blue screens a

couple
times a day. Dropped the speed to 800 and problem went away. In the end
it
just wasn't worth the trouble.

The Foxconn board has an extra power connector on the board, but I

don't
remember now if that is for memory or video card power.

video

Yah, I popped the top and looked inside - power connector right next to

the
first pcie slot. Just for fun I bumped the memory up to 1066. It ran for
about 4 hours before it locked up solid. sigh...back to 800 for me

try increasing the voltage and better cas

just a thought

pokeyman

Old March 19th 09, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"pokey man" writes:
Yah, I popped the top and looked inside - power connector right next
to the first pcie slot. Just for fun I bumped the memory up to
1066. It ran for about 4 hours before it locked up
solid. sigh...back to 800 for me

try increasing the voltage and better cas

just a thought

It's the problem with overclocking -- it seems such a black art, and if
you do it wrong, potentially rather nasty (e.g. subtle data
corruption...).

argh....

-Miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us. -- Jerry Garcia
Old March 20th 09, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"pokey man" writes:
Yah, I popped the top and looked inside - power connector right next
to the first pcie slot. Just for fun I bumped the memory up to
1066. It ran for about 4 hours before it locked up
solid. sigh...back to 800 for me

try increasing the voltage and better cas

just a thought

It's the problem with overclocking -- it seems such a black art, and if
you do it wrong, potentially rather nasty (e.g. subtle data
corruption...).

argh....

-Miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us. -- Jerry Garcia

thats why you run memtst only till you get it stable by increasing the
voltage till its stable and no errors for 24 hrs running

pokeyman