Overclocking Phemon II 940

Old March 6th 09, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

Default Overclocking Phemon II 940

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
I once had a wire get stuck in my fan and stop the fan from working. The
temp monitor showed 180 degrees F (82C). I wasn't sure if that was
correct because it was still running OK. I cleared the fan and temp
dropped to the normal 105 no-load temp.

I've increased the clock multiplier so that the cpu was running at
2800MHz, and ran a stress test. The temp reached 150F (65.5C). The
factory heat sink and fan are virtually worthless. I replaced mine with
a Zalman 9500 (the small one) and the temp dropped about 20F. Get a
decent cooler on yours and heat will be the least of your problems.

I'm probably out of it, but isn't the Ph2 940 3.0 GHZ stock?

Yah. I'm actually running a 9950, which is 2600MHz out of the box. They
are both 125W processors. They sure ditched the early Phenoms fast, didn't
they? I want to upgrade, but every other month a faster Phenom comes out.

So - my comments about heat are actully the 9950 and early Phenoms - I
have three of them. And all of them came with crap coolers.

I'm running a 9850 Black, which easily clocked to 2.93. The stock cooler for
that one is fine here, but I do have it in a well ventilated Coolermaster
case (120MM in and out in a 73F room). So, maybe I should shut up until
summer comes :-)

I'd jump on a PHII 940 3.0, but my el-cheapo Asus M2N-E and M3A motherboards
are questionable at best for the upgrade.

Old March 6th 09, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"Peter van der Goes" writes:
I'd jump on a PHII 940 3.0, but my el-cheapo Asus M2N-E and M3A
motherboards are questionable at best for the upgrade.

Are there issues that arise with the PhII, if the bios/MB claims to
support the chip?

-Miles

--
Carefully crafted initial estimates reward you not only with
reduced computational effort, but also with understanding and
Old March 6th 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

"Miles Bader" wrote in message
"Peter van der Goes" writes:
I'd jump on a PHII 940 3.0, but my el-cheapo Asus M2N-E and M3A
motherboards are questionable at best for the upgrade.

Are there issues that arise with the PhII, if the bios/MB claims to
support the chip?

-Miles

No, these two motherboards don't have BIOS updates that claim to add support
for the PHII chips. Some users on the Asus forums claim success while others
report failure. I'm now thinking in terms of getting an AM3 motherboard and
a suitable CPU for that, like the Phenom II X3 720 Black, which is
reportedly a great overclocker and is less $$. If I'm going to get a new
mobo + DDR3 and do a complete build, I might as well move as far forward as
possible :-)

Old March 7th 09, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Peter van der Goes" writes:
I'd jump on a PHII 940 3.0, but my el-cheapo Asus M2N-E and M3A
motherboards are questionable at best for the upgrade.

Are there issues that arise with the PhII, if the bios/MB claims to
support the chip?

-Miles

No, these two motherboards don't have BIOS updates that claim to add

support
for the PHII chips. Some users on the Asus forums claim success while

others
report failure. I'm now thinking in terms of getting an AM3 motherboard

and
a suitable CPU for that, like the Phenom II X3 720 Black, which is
reportedly a great overclocker and is less $$. If I'm going to get a new
mobo + DDR3 and do a complete build, I might as well move as far forward

as
possible :-)

hmmm take a look at the msi 790FX-GD70...ddr3 mem only on this board for
ddr2 foxconn a79a-s bord is what ya need very stable oc able boards

ookeyman

Old March 7th 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
DaveN

In article ,
says...
This one?

No, this one:

The one at your link is for Intel processors.

On order, many thanks!

--Dave
Old March 9th 09, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"Peter van der Goes" writes:
I'm now thinking in terms of getting an AM3 motherboard and a suitable
CPU for that, like the Phenom II X3 720 Black, which is reportedly a
great overclocker and is less $$. If I'm going to get a new mobo +
DDR3 and do a complete build, I might as well move as far forward as
possible :-)

What about the [rumored, as I can't remember where I saw it] problems
with DDR3 support in the first Phenom II revision...?

-miles

Old March 10th 09, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Peter van der Goes" writes:
I'm now thinking in terms of getting an AM3 motherboard and a suitable
CPU for that, like the Phenom II X3 720 Black, which is reportedly a
great overclocker and is less $$. If I'm going to get a new mobo +
DDR3 and do a complete build, I might as well move as far forward as
possible :-)

What about the [rumored, as I can't remember where I saw it] problems
with DDR3 support in the first Phenom II revision...?

look here for that issue:

http://www.techspot.com/news/33610-a...33-memory.html

-miles

--
Carefully crafted initial estimates reward you not only with
reduced computational effort, but also with understanding and
increased self-esteem. -- Numerical methods in C,
Chapter 9. "Root Finding and Nonlinear Sets of Equations"

DDR2 AND DDR3 are not interchangeable... if you put a PH II in a mobo with
ddr2 then that is what u r stuck with. this is a DDR3 mobo and cant pit
ddr2 in it...

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...d_no=1740#menu

better then the foxconn a79a-s which can run a ph 2 but can only ddr2 mem...
the msi board uses ddr3 and is an am3 socket

Pokeyman

Old March 10th 09, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Peter van der Goes" writes:
I'm now thinking in terms of getting an AM3 motherboard and a suitable
CPU for that, like the Phenom II X3 720 Black, which is reportedly a
great overclocker and is less $$. If I'm going to get a new mobo +
DDR3 and do a complete build, I might as well move as far forward as
possible :-)

What about the [rumored, as I can't remember where I saw it] problems
with DDR3 support in the first Phenom II revision...?

look here for that issue:

http://www.techspot.com/news/33610-a...33-memory.html

-miles

--
Carefully crafted initial estimates reward you not only with
reduced computational effort, but also with understanding and
increased self-esteem. -- Numerical methods in C,
Chapter 9. "Root Finding and Nonlinear Sets of Equations

looks like the x4 ph II 940 is the only one with an unlocked multiplyer by
this:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article31325.html

Pokeyman

Old March 11th 09, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"pokey man" writes:
What about the [rumored, as I can't remember where I saw it] problems
with DDR3 support in the first Phenom II revision...?

look here for that issue:

http://www.techspot.com/news/33610-a...33-memory.html

So... is the conclusion that: messing about in bios is required to run
DDR3 at full speed, but doing so is generally safe as long as one
doesn't use "cheapo" memory modules?

[Well it's not like I'm gonna get a DDR3 system anytime soon... it's
tempting to stick a Phenom II in my AM2+ system though (significantly
higher clock speed and much bigger cache seem to be what gives core2
stuff most of it's oomph).]

-Miles

--
Friendless, adj. Having no favors to bestow. Destitute of fortune. Addicted to
utterance of truth and common sense.