Phenom II Requires BIOS Update?

Old January 11th 09, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

Default Phenom II Requires BIOS Update?

I currently have two AMD boxes, an AM2 (M2N-e) and an AM2+ (M3A). Both are
currently running Phenoms (9500 and 9850 Black, respectively).
Any thoughts on whether these boards will work with a Phenom II, or will a
BIOS update from Asus be required?

Old January 11th 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Ed Light

Go to the board's web site and check the cpu compatibility chart.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old January 12th 09, 08:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

no, i said PhenomT II processors are backwards and forward compatable and so
does: AMD when in a am2 and 2+ socket they are just like a regular PhenomT
processor,

but when they live in an am3 socket they become a PhenomT II processor with
new features that cant be used on older sockets

all the info is there about PhenomT II processors

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._15917,00.html

am3 sockets support the 1333mhz ddr3 option

Pokeyman

Old January 12th 09, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

look here also evedently any 790fx nb/ 750 sb combo will work

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&m odelmenu=1

Old January 13th 09, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes[_3_]

"pokey man" wrote in message
no, i said PhenomT II processors are backwards and forward compatable and
so
does: AMD when in a am2 and 2+ socket they are just like a regular PhenomT
processor,

but when they live in an am3 socket they become a PhenomT II processor
with
new features that cant be used on older sockets

all the info is there about PhenomT II processors

OK, thanks.
So to get all a Phenom II has to offer, I guess I'll need a Socket AM3 mobo.

Old January 13th 09, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"Peter van der Goes" writes:

but when they live in an am3 socket they become a PhenomT II
processor with new features that cant be used on older sockets

OK, thanks.
So to get all a Phenom II has to offer, I guess I'll need a Socket AM3 mobo.

So what exactly are the extra features AM3 enables?

The obvious ones are Hypertransport 3 + DDR3 support; are there more?

-Miles

--
Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature
of the Unknowable.
Old January 13th 09, 03:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:51:24 -0600, "Peter van der Goes"
wrote:

OK, thanks.
So to get all a Phenom II has to offer, I guess I'll need a Socket AM3 mobo.

Myself, I'm wanting to see more on those Athlon X4s. Surely they'll be cheaper
than the Phenom IIs for the same clock speeds, use less power, and run cooler.
Maybe have some overclock headroom on them.
Old January 13th 09, 09:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

go to amd.com and search phenom II

"Pokeyman

"Miles Bader" wrote in message
"Peter van der Goes" writes:

but when they live in an am3 socket they become a PhenomT II
processor with new features that cant be used on older sockets

OK, thanks.
So to get all a Phenom II has to offer, I guess I'll need a Socket AM3

mobo.

So what exactly are the extra features AM3 enables?

The obvious ones are Hypertransport 3 + DDR3 support; are there more?

-Miles

--
Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the

nature
of the Unknowable.

A7V (rev 1.02) BIOS Update & 48-bit/LBA ? tbl Asus Motherboards 1 November 11th 06 12:21 PM
GA-k8NXP-9 BIOS update failed - BIOS Write Protection Error! Heribert Huber Gigabyte Motherboards 4 August 18th 05 11:33 PM
Bios Update For HP 551 w Ron General 1 January 31st 05 11:35 PM
My computer cant update ESCD at startup! I can't Flash the bios update! Iorón:rote Asus Motherboards 0 January 19th 04 12:29 AM
bios update Mr. Kim Solomon Asus Motherboards 0 July 23rd 03 11:07 PM