Anyone tried installing the 64-bit version of Windows 7 yet?

Old January 9th 09, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

Default Anyone tried installing the 64-bit version of Windows 7 yet?

I tried installing the 64-bit version of Beta 1 of Windows 7-- got 3/4 of the
way through setup, it told me that Windows could not be installed on this
hardware, exited. No details given on what was incompatible. Had to restore XP
from a Ghost backup. CPU is Athlon X2 5050e, motherboard is Biostar MCP6P M2+,
video card is Galaxy KFA2 Geforce Nvida 7300LE 256MB.
Old January 10th 09, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Bob Fry

"DG" == Darren Garrison writes:

DG I tried installing the 64-bit version of Beta 1 of Windows 7--

Remember with MS products version X.0 is the beta--what you tried to
install is the alpha.

--
The wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision a whole
universe. But the stupid man will just lie down on some seaweed
Old January 11th 09, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Richard P[_4_]

Bob Fry wrote:
"DG" == Darren Garrison writes:

DG I tried installing the 64-bit version of Beta 1 of Windows 7--

Remember with MS products version X.0 is the beta--what you tried to
install is the alpha.

Works fine here on a Phenom 9850 Radeon 3870 and 4gb of ram.

Old January 12th 09, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
R. C. White

Hi, Darren.

Win7 Ultimate x64 build 7000 installed and runs with no complaints on my
2-year-old EPoX MF570sli mobo/Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CUP/3 GB OCZ PC6400 RAM/ATI
Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-express. This Win7 is now my "daily driver" since it
arrived about 4 days ago. For the two months before that, I ran the
pre-beta build 6801. The Win7 Home Premium x64 installed easily, too, but I
haven't exercised it yet - and probably won't; why use that when I have
Ultimate?

No additional drivers were required for my 4 SATA II HDs, including the 2 in
a hardware RAID1 mirror. Or for the onboard Realtek audio (Even my 2 TV
tuners, from Hauppauge and Pinnacle, had drivers on the Win7 disk and those
installed automatically.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2009 in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000)

Old January 16th 09, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Bill:

Working OK on an Intel mini-itx Atom 330 motherboard.

So how did you get the 64bit version of Windows 7 running on a 32bit
processor?

Benjamin
Old January 17th 09, 09:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Bill:

Working OK on an Intel mini-itx Atom 330 motherboard.

So how did you get the 64bit version of Windows 7 running on a 32bit
processor?

Works just peachy. The Atom 330 is dual core and hyperthreaded.

Which is pretty irrelevant for the question (hint" "Anyone tried
installing the *64-bit* version of Windows 7 yet?"). Your Atom 330 is a
32bit CPU can thus can only run the 32bit version of Windows 7.

Benjamin
Old January 17th 09, 10:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Benjamin Gawert writes:
Works just peachy. The Atom 330 is dual core and hyperthreaded.

Which is pretty irrelevant for the question (hint" "Anyone tried
installing the *64-bit* version of Windows 7 yet?"). Your Atom 330 is a
32bit CPU can thus can only run the 32bit version of Windows 7.

Apparently the the Attom 330 has x86-64 support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverthorne_(CPU)

-Miles

--
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
Old January 19th 09, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Bill writes:
Apparently the the Attom 330 has x86-64 support.

Actually it's EM64T support, but what do I know.

"x86-64" is a just generic way of referring to amd64/em64t. [em64t is
more or less just a copy of amd64 anyway]

-Miles

--
=====
(^o^;
Old January 24th 09, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Miles Bader:
Benjamin Gawert writes:
Works just peachy. The Atom 330 is dual core and hyperthreaded.

Which is pretty irrelevant for the question (hint" "Anyone tried
installing the *64-bit* version of Windows 7 yet?"). Your Atom 330 is a
32bit CPU can thus can only run the 32bit version of Windows 7.

Apparently the the Attom 330 has x86-64 support.

Sorry, my fault, I somehow mixed it with the N-series. Sorry.

Benjamin