Overheating Issues

Old December 26th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Dave[_36_]

Default Overheating Issues

I upgraded my computer recently to a new motherboard/cpu/etc.. and I'm
having a lot of overheating issues with it when I do intense 3D renders.

At present I have the following:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W
Dual-Core Processor

At first I was using the stock fan that came in the retail box for the
processor, but after reading numerous reviews on NewEgg, I upgraded to a

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

However, it's only marginally better. Not the great performance others
have claimed.

I am not overclocking and I did use Arctic Silver compound when I
installed the new heat sink.

I am planning on upgraded to a QuadCore CPU in the next month, but I'm
concerned I may have issue with that as well.

Any tips? Any sites I should visit?

Thanks!
Old December 27th 08, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Oldfart

Dave wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,

You didn't mention what kind of case you are using. It's really
important to have the case well ventilated. Most newer designs are using
120 mm fans pushing air in and drawing the warm air out. These fans move
a lot of air through the case which results in the warm air not just
recirculating within the case. I would suggest having a good look at the
circulation of air through the case and pay special attention to cable
layout, etc. that could hinder air flow.

Old December 27th 08, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Dave writes:
At first I was using the stock fan that came in the retail box for the
processor, but after reading numerous reviews on NewEgg, I upgraded to a

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

However, it's only marginally better. Not the great performance others
have claimed.

I am planning on upgraded to a QuadCore CPU in the next month, but I'm
concerned I may have issue with that as well.

The stock cooler for the phenoms, at least, seems to have a pretty good
reputation. I'm not sure there's any reason to use anything else unless
you really plan on pushing things...

-Miles

--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come. --Nietzsche
Old December 27th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Oldfart writes:
You didn't mention what kind of case you are using. It's really
important to have the case well ventilated. Most newer designs are using
120 mm fans pushing air in and drawing the warm air out. These fans move
a lot of air through the case which results in the warm air not just
recirculating within the case. I would suggest having a good look at the
circulation of air through the case and pay special attention to cable
layout, etc. that could hinder air flow.

The case I bought actually has a big plastic tube from a grill in the
side of the case to directly over the cpu, that apparently gives the cpu
fan a separate channel to the outside.

I don't know if that actually helps appreciably or not, but it seems
like an interesting idea at least...

-Miles

--
Apologize, v. To lay the foundation for a future offense.
Old December 27th 08, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Oldfart

Miles Bader wrote:
Oldfart writes:
You didn't mention what kind of case you are using. It's really
important to have the case well ventilated. Most newer designs are using
120 mm fans pushing air in and drawing the warm air out. These fans move
a lot of air through the case which results in the warm air not just
recirculating within the case. I would suggest having a good look at the
circulation of air through the case and pay special attention to cable
layout, etc. that could hinder air flow.

The case I bought actually has a big plastic tube from a grill in the
side of the case to directly over the cpu, that apparently gives the cpu
fan a separate channel to the outside.

I don't know if that actually helps appreciably or not, but it seems
like an interesting idea at least...

-Miles

If it lines up pretty good with the center of the fan then it may help
the fan get air. If it doesn't, then removing it might help as the fan
will draw in and blow air anyway. However, the hot air expelled by the
fan has to get out of the case. This is where having on e or more
exhaust fans drawing a lot of air through the case really makes a
difference. A fan on the lower front blowing air in can make a
difference as well. Having a balanced air flow is important. You can't
blow air in if there is no where for it to escape, and you can't suck
air out if there is not enough coming in.

Also, intake and exhaust fans tend to get a build-up on the blades after
a while. It may be worth while to check your existing fans and clean any
build up on them to help their efficiency.

You can also try running with the case side off. If this eliminates the
heating problem then it pretty well points to not enough air through the
case.

Good luck

Old December 27th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes[_3_]

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Room, case and CPU temperature readings? Those will tell a lot. Also,
sometimes a BIOS will report incorrect temp readings, and an update will set
things straight. Check Gigabyte forums/newsgroups for issues specific to
your mainboard.

We need readings (idle and at full load) because the difference between the
temperatures will allow us to be more specific with recommendations.

Old December 30th 08, 11:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Just a suggestion WATER COOLING ;-P

Old December 30th 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Jure Sah[_2_]

Old December 30th 08, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

snip
Just a suggestion WATER COOLING ;-P

Total overkill for the specified CPU. I have a few 65Ws under constant
load and they never heat up more than 5?C above room temperature with
stock fan, which is nothing really.

LP,
Jure

I wasnt really searious LOL Obviously overkill, but I have a realistic
suggestion: pull the HS/fan lapp the HS, Clean gunk off processor, re gunk
it up with artic silver. He may have used the pad on the HS and I hate
those...anyways if air flow through case is right and contact is good then
should be a shoe in fo good temps.

Pokeyman