Recommending a previous generation CPU

Old December 4th 08, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
TBerk[_2_]

Default Recommending a previous generation CPU

Seeing as the latest hardware attaches a premium I'd like to plan on
building up the next system with an eye to saving a few dollars.

(I'm currently posting from a Pentium II system, my fall back due to
the P4 I had been using having given it's last true measure of
devotion.)

Still, despite this year's recent events, I have used and been a fan
of AMD products, hence my post and request for info & recommendations.

My use would be mostly for the standard web surfing, email and such
but from time to time I work with audio and video files, and I've
liked Quake like games in the past so would like to retain the option
to play the latest version going forward.

I'm just beginning my look back into what is available so this post is
in the nature of a point me in a direction type post, rather than let
me tell you what I already found out type, still any help is
appreciated.

TBerk