Why a 64 bit CPU when all my software is 32 bit?

Old September 13th 08, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Al Dykes

Default Why a 64 bit CPU when all my software is 32 bit?

Just asking.

What does a 64 bits system get me when none of my software or OS knows
about 64 bits and the aggregate memory demand doesn't come near 2GB
physical memory and 3GB in a new system will be plenty.

Memory bandwith might do it for me. The most demanding app I'll be
running is Photoshop on large images and I expect that a fast memory
subsystem would have value. (I'll have lots of I/O in the form of 3
SATA drives.)

I'm thinking in terms of a mid-price dual-core chip, AMD by default
and W2K as an OS.

--
Al Dykes

Old September 13th 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:52:13 -0400, Al Dykes wrote:

Just asking.

What does a 64 bits system get me when none of my software or OS knows
about 64 bits and the aggregate memory demand doesn't come near 2GB
physical memory and 3GB in a new system will be plenty.

Memory bandwith might do it for me. The most demanding app I'll be
running is Photoshop on large images and I expect that a fast memory
subsystem would have value. (I'll have lots of I/O in the form of 3 SATA
drives.)

I'm thinking in terms of a mid-price dual-core chip, AMD by default and
W2K as an OS.

AFAIK, it will get you nothing except the ability to use a 64 bit OS and
apps. OTOH it won't hurt you either. Some 64 bit apps run a lot better
than there 32 bit counterparts. Couldn't say about Photoshop. you might
want to consider a 4 core cpu if it will take advantage of that.