Looking for a good AMD Duo Core and small mobo combo

Old July 29th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
TBerk

Default Looking for a good AMD Duo Core and small mobo combo

Is there a good recommendation for a AMD cpu (Duo Core pls) with a
motherboard that will, oh I suppose, some SATA and USB 2.0 of course.

Really the motherboard isn't really (right now) the consideration, I'm
just looking to bridge from an old K6-2 setup to something a little
more modern w/o needing to be all cutting edge and everything.

flame away.

Tberk
Old July 30th 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

TBerk writes:
Is there a good recommendation for a AMD cpu (Duo Core pls) with a
motherboard that will, oh I suppose, some SATA and USB 2.0 of course.

Really the motherboard isn't really (right now) the consideration, I'm
just looking to bridge from an old K6-2 setup to something a little
more modern w/o needing to be all cutting edge and everything.

I personally built my new system with one basic thought: I want to use
the AMD 780G chipset. It seems to be a very well-rounded chipset, which
among other things has perhaps the first really decent integrated GPU.
Supports all the usual stuff well, not too hot, passive cooling, works
with most modern AMD processors.

I wasn't going for ultimate speed, more just a nice responsive system
that wouldn't be too noisy or hot, but with a bit of beef for those
times I want to do some number-crunching.

I ended up with:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H micro-atx (about $100)

CPU: Phenom 9550 (4-core, 2.2 mhz, 95w, about $200)

RAM: 4GB of "DDR2-800" memory (about $100)

Disk: Western Digital WD6400AAKS (640MB, quite fast, about $100)

I put it in a largeish mcro-atx case apparently designed for heavier
usage, meaning that for _my_ usual usage, the fans barely turn on, and
it's almost inaudible. [Even if I max out all 4 cores, the fan noise is
quite muted.]

I'm pleased as I can be with this system -- it's very fast, very quiet,
and though I don't push the GPU right now, has some decent graphics
headroom without buying a separate video card.

Anyway, you want an Athlon, which I have no experience with, but I'd
still highly recommend the motherboard, it's very nice.

-Miles

--
Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own
opinion.
Old July 30th 08, 09:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Miles Bader was zeer hard aan het denken :
TBerk writes:
[...]

Might be fast, but can't hold Windows XP... You probably meant GB
instead of MB?!?

Old July 30th 08, 09:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader

"André, PE1PQX" writes:
Disk: Western Digital WD6400AAKS (640MB, quite fast, about $100)

Might be fast, but can't hold Windows XP... You probably meant GB
instead of MB?!?

Ugh, yeah... :-)

640 _GB_...

A very nice drive, don't know why they're so cheap; maybe because TB
drives are showing up in the marketplace?

-Miles

--
XML is like violence. If it doesn't solve your problem, you're not
using enough of it.