AMD to take back graphics crown from Nvidia ?

Old June 16th 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Mr.E Solved!

Default AMD to take back graphics crown from Nvidia ?

DerekBaker wrote:
* Blig Merk:
DerekBaker wrote:
Given that I've got an X800 from 2004 I certainly am.

With something that old, you are looking at a whole new system, not
just a new graphics card.

That's okay, because I am.

So, in fact, you aren't looking forward to a new card, but a whole new
system. Which reinforces the idea that there isn't much to get excited
about in these new offerings. Other than the potential of what comes
after them.

Lastly, to make a point: Perhaps some of you are aware of nvidia's new
"UMAP" policy.

This is where you can't find out the price of an item that a vendor is
selling it for until to place it in your cart. Thusly breaking
price-checking engines and adding millions of unnecessary cart checks a day.

Beyond the legal issues, beyond the inconvenience, beyond the utter
stupidity of the idea.. is that nvidia is in no position to **** away
whatever remaining goodwill they have. Which this idea is doing.
Shopping nvidia on Newegg is a chore now and can only hurt sales.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==
Old June 16th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
DerekBaker

* Mr.E Solved!:
DerekBaker wrote:
* Blig Merk:
DerekBaker wrote:
Given that I've got an X800 from 2004 I certainly am.

With something that old, you are looking at a whole new system, not
just a new graphics card.

That's okay, because I am.

So, in fact, you aren't looking forward to a new card, but a whole new
system. Which reinforces the idea that there isn't much to get excited
about in these new offerings. Other than the potential of what comes
after them.

A new system with a new video card, yes.

Lastly, to make a point: Perhaps some of you are aware of nvidia's new
"UMAP" policy.

This is where you can't find out the price of an item that a vendor is
selling it for until to place it in your cart. Thusly breaking
price-checking engines and adding millions of unnecessary cart checks a
day.

Beyond the legal issues, beyond the inconvenience, beyond the utter
stupidity of the idea.. is that nvidia is in no position to **** away
whatever remaining goodwill they have. Which this idea is doing.
Shopping nvidia on Newegg is a chore now and can only hurt sales.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

I'm seeing (preorder) prices here, so I guess this policy won't float in the UK.

--
Derek