1 or 2 MB cache - how much performance difference?

Old May 29th 08, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
GTS

Default 1 or 2 MB cache - how much performance difference?

Building a budget PC and ordered an OEM AMD X2 5600 2Mb cache (2x1mb)
ADA5600IAA6CZ

BUT Ebuyer have sent me an OEM cpu that is not even listed on their website:
ADO5600IAA6DO

The one they sent only has 1mb (2x512kb) cache. So what difference will I
noitice - is it worth RMA'ing?

There are other differences - the one I ordered is 90nm 89W 2800 clock
speed, and the one they sent is 65nm 65W 2900 clock speed. I am not bothered
too much about the power consumption / heat, I just want to know how
performance will be affected....

Old May 29th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Peter van der Goes[_3_]

"GTS" wrote in message
Building a budget PC and ordered an OEM AMD X2 5600 2Mb cache (2x1mb)
ADA5600IAA6CZ

BUT Ebuyer have sent me an OEM cpu that is not even listed on their
website:
ADO5600IAA6DO

The one they sent only has 1mb (2x512kb) cache. So what difference will I
noitice - is it worth RMA'ing?

There are other differences - the one I ordered is 90nm 89W 2800 clock
speed, and the one they sent is 65nm 65W 2900 clock speed. I am not
bothered
too much about the power consumption / heat, I just want to know how
performance will be affected....

Tell us how you will use the computer. The extra cache will make a big
difference with some software/activities, not much with others.
Did the vendor provide an explanation for the switch? I'd want, at least, an
explanation.

Old May 29th 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
GTS

Tell us how you will use the computer. The extra cache will make a big
difference with some software/activities, not much with others.
Did the vendor provide an explanation for the switch? I'd want, at least,
an explanation.

The computer will be used primarily as an HTPC running GBPVR, with 3 tuners
including High-def H264 content. Some transcoding of recorded MPEG2 content
to XviD or DVD, some light gaming and some Photoshop picture editing. (Using
a 780G AM2+ mobo)
The vendor did not even know the CPU was different - I assume they had a new
delivery and did not know the specs had changed :-(
I bet many have purchased and don't even know they have less cache - it's
quite hard to see the model number on the CPU! Although the AMD website
still has the specs of the CPU I ordered listed, on their comparison chart
the X2 5600 with 2mb cache is not listed, so I assume it is discontinued?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...E13076,00.html
The chip I ordered:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desk...=ADA5600IAA6CZ
The one I got:
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=422

Old May 30th 08, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Ed Light

From what I've been reading about htpc's, a lower-wattage,
cooler-running cpu is always better. You can keep it quieter (slower fan
speeds). That should make any difference in cache negligible. I'd keep
the 65 watt one. The slightly faster speed should make up for the cache,
overall.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old May 30th 08, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal

[...]

Cache miss rates tend to bottom out at about 512K or so, so that going from
512K to 1MB or 2MB doesn't necessarily increase the miss rate. It might
increase the latency, because it usually takes longer ot access larger
caches, etc. Increasing cache size to get better performance is like
thinking a faster clock speed gives you better performance. It can, but it's
usually a less then linear increase. The short answer? You will probably
never notice the difference.