LCD larger size -- what for ??

Old March 16th 08, 11:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Beladi Nasrallah

Default LCD larger size -- what for ??

I have an 19" LCD monitor with the resolution 1440 x 900, and I play
such games as Half-Life 2 DM, Team Fortress 2, Bioshock, FEAR, Dark
Messiah and Silent Hunter 4.

So far, I felt that the screen size (19") was al'right for the first-
person shooter (FPS) games, as I could hold all of the screen in the
periphery of my vision. Well, maybe I felt something slightly larger
(say, 20") could make game more exciting. The resolution seemed to be
al'right. I could not imagine going for a higher resolution (and yeah,
my graphics card was 7600GT).

But I heard many people said a larger screen (such as 24" or even
30") will make all the difference. I fail to see that. I presume a
19-20" screen is good for FPS, and a larger screen would be better for
simualtion or role-playing game (such as Civilization or Oblivion).
Maybe it was the kids' equivalent of a larger penis for a man.

I also wonder if a higher resolution (such as 1920 x 1200) will
improve _significantly_ the gameplaying experience. I used to play
HL2DM on a 17" widescreen 1680 x 1050. I think I can see the enemy at
the same distances.

So, here is my question: why should I go for a higher-resolution and
higher-size monitor ?

Old March 16th 08, 12:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Schrodinger

"Beladi Nasrallah" wrote in message
[...]

I recently upgraded from a 19" LCD to a 22" widescreen and it was well worth
it. If I had loads of money I would have gone for a 24".

The biggest improvement was in Battlefield 2 - I presume because it is
easier to appreciate it in vehicular combat. TF2 is much improved and
watching movies is now a pleasure and viable alternative to watching on our
main, 32" LCD, screen.

Old March 16th 08, 12:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tim O[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:44:08 -0700 (PDT), Beladi Nasrallah
wrote:

[...]

I think you should go with the larger penis.

Old March 16th 08, 01:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michael Pachta

Schrodinger schrieb/wrote/escribió:
I recently upgraded from a 19" LCD to a 22" widescreen and it was well worth
it. If I had loads of money I would have gone for a 24".

I don't own a LCD monitor, so here's my current knowledge:
As far as I know LCD monitors have a fixed screen resolution. Lower
resolutions can be obtained by extrapolation (interpolation?), which
makes the graphics worse. I once saw this at a friend's.

So, if I buy a large monitor, say 22", I need to have a good graphics
card that is capable of displaying the given resolution fast enough.
Otherwise I would have to switch to a lower resolution which would
result in bad graphics.

Or am I wrong here?

M.
Old March 16th 08, 01:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mark Morrison[_2_]

wrote:

So, here is my question: why should I go for a higher-resolution and
higher-size monitor ?

I wouldn't (and haven't) - I'm still on the 17" widesreen I bought
about 3 years back.

I'm happy with the screen size and resolution I play at. If I got a
bigger monitor, it would necessitate getting a new graphics card, just
to play the same game. If I upgraded to a 22" or similar, I'd have to
got a PCI-E powered system, meaning a new PC.

I will get a new monitor eventually, but only as part of a completely
new system.
Old March 16th 08, 02:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Conor[_2_]

In article 15c2d3c5-f9c5-4e5c-ad8b-2ac79dcef340
@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com, Beladi Nasrallah says...

But I heard many people said a larger screen (such as 24" or even
30") will make all the difference. I fail to see that. I presume a
19-20" screen is good for FPS, and a larger screen would be better for
simualtion or role-playing game (such as Civilization or Oblivion).
Maybe it was the kids' equivalent of a larger penis for a man.

You've hit the nail on the head. My bro-in-law bought a 24" because he
basically lives on Eve Online and was finding the restrictions of
smaller displays a problem due to the amount of menus he needs/likes
open at the same time.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old March 16th 08, 02:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Schrodinger

"Michael Pachta" wrote in message
Schrodinger schrieb/wrote/escribió:
I recently upgraded from a 19" LCD to a 22" widescreen and it was well
worth it. If I had loads of money I would have gone for a 24".

I don't own a LCD monitor, so here's my current knowledge:
As far as I know LCD monitors have a fixed screen resolution. Lower
resolutions can be obtained by extrapolation (interpolation?), which makes
the graphics worse. I once saw this at a friend's.

They can sometimes look a bit softer, but I can't say I notice the
difference as there's so much else going on. After all, you'd probably want
to use FSAA at lower resolutions anyway.

So, if I buy a large monitor, say 22", I need to have a good graphics card
that is capable of displaying the given resolution fast enough. Otherwise
I would have to switch to a lower resolution which would result in bad
graphics.

Or am I wrong here?

I would certainly say that you need a card that can drive your games at,
say, 1680 x 1050 to make it worthwhile. Battlefield 2 is a good example
here as it doesn't support that resolution, but using another app -
widescreen fixer - the ratios look ok. Despite it not being in the native
resolution it still looks great.

I suppose it's very subjective. I haven't regretted changing from CRT even
though I did so several years ago.

Also, if you use your PC for other stuff the LCD is, IMO, easier on the
eyes.

Old March 16th 08, 02:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Lawrence Lugar

That's what i'm saying...you're only atmost, what - 1 and a half feet away
from a computer monitor?

it's ridiculous, for the people who have 24"+ computer monitors on their
desks.

I have a 19" wide format LCD...and it's more than plenty large enough

Old March 16th 08, 04:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Michael Pachta:

I don't own a LCD monitor, so here's my current knowledge:
As far as I know LCD monitors have a fixed screen resolution. Lower
resolutions can be obtained by extrapolation (interpolation?),

interpolation (extrapolation is something different)

which
makes the graphics worse. I once saw this at a friend's.

So, if I buy a large monitor, say 22", I need to have a good graphics
card that is capable of displaying the given resolution fast enough.
Otherwise I would have to switch to a lower resolution which would
result in bad graphics.

Or am I wrong here?

No, basically you're right. However, the effects of interpolation was
much worse with the first generation of displays (usually 15" and 17"
displays with 1024x768 or 1280x1024) on which lower resolutions such
like 800x600 or 640x480 look really bad. But on modern high resolution
displays with 1440x900, 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 lower resolutions usually
don't look as bad as they did on the first generation displays.

Benjamin
Old March 16th 08, 07:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mr.E Solved!

Beladi Nasrallah wrote:
[...]

If you don't understand the benefits of higher resolution in gaming yet,
you never will!

Just make sure the game has widescreen support, and does not stretch the
view to the resolutions.

BF2 is tricky that way, you might think you are getting a widescreen
image, but put two WS displays next to each other, one running BF2 in
the default WS resolution and the other running BF2 with a widescreen
patch and you can see the difference, but only look at the first image
and you would never know what you are missing.