Looking for a "pretty good" PCI-E video card ...

Old March 27th 07, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cessna 310

Default Looking for a "pretty good" PCI-E video card ...

No One wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Augustus wrote:

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message

Hey, Sky King: It just doesn't make to get a card that's not Vista
(Aero) compatible when one that is doesn't cost any more. Without
regard to whether or not one has current plans to actually use Vista
(plans change).

This is essentially my point.

I don't know what you people are on about. It's hard to find a
PCI-Express video board that is _not_ "Aero compatible". You'd have
to pretty much set out deliberately to find one. Seems to me that
it's a non-issue.

More important is Direct X 10 compliant. Good luck finding one under $450.

$450? Either there are pretty many out there or I'm just, as you say,
lucky:

Old March 27th 07, 06:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

No One wrote:
Augustus wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the need to upgrade to Vista. It doesn't
fix anything that's broken.

I wouldn't upgrade to Vista until SP1 and other issues have been
addressed. But it doesn't hurt to get your budget card Aero capable.
He may have it for 3-5 years.

A trully Aero capable card is gonna cost no less than $400.

Lemme guess, you've never actually _seen_ Vista. All features of Aero
run fine on my Radeon 9600.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old March 27th 07, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

No One wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Augustus wrote:

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message

Hey, Sky King: It just doesn't make to get a card that's not Vista
(Aero) compatible when one that is doesn't cost any more. Without
regard to whether or not one has current plans to actually use
Vista (plans change).

This is essentially my point.

I don't know what you people are on about. It's hard to find a
PCI-Express video board that is _not_ "Aero compatible". You'd have
to pretty much set out deliberately to find one. Seems to me that
it's a non-issue.

More important is Direct X 10 compliant. Good luck finding one under
$450.

Why is DirectX 10 compliance "important" if one is not a gamer?

Old March 27th 07, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

Cessna 310 wrote:
No One wrote:
Augustus wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the need to upgrade to Vista. It doesn't
fix anything that's broken.

I wouldn't upgrade to Vista until SP1 and other issues have been
addressed. But it doesn't hurt to get your budget card Aero capable.
He may have it for 3-5 years.

A trully Aero capable card is gonna cost no less than $400.

I'll stick to XP, thank you.

What advantage does Vista offer that's worth the cost of upgrade? And
why does it require a $400 video card to run it?

For me it's the ability to join a domain without playing any tricks
while still being able to run Media Center.

For some folks it's the support for CableCard.

For some there's no benefit at all.

And it most assuredly does not require a $400 video card. "No One" is
clueless on that point.

Old March 27th 07, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
No One

Cessna 310 wrote:
No One wrote:

More important is Direct X 10 compliant. Good luck finding one under
$450.

Why is it important to have a card that's DirX10 compliant? Won't the
current crop of 9 cards work?

No, they will not. Currently, only the nVidia 8800 line works with
Direct X 10.
Old March 27th 07, 11:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
No One

Cessna 310 wrote:

No One wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Augustus wrote:

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message

Hey, Sky King: It just doesn't make to get a card that's not Vista
(Aero) compatible when one that is doesn't cost any more. Without
regard to whether or not one has current plans to actually use Vista
(plans change).

This is essentially my point.

I don't know what you people are on about. It's hard to find a
PCI-Express video board that is _not_ "Aero compatible". You'd have
to pretty much set out deliberately to find one. Seems to me that
it's a non-issue.

More important is Direct X 10 compliant. Good luck finding one under
$450.

$450? Either there are pretty many out there or I'm just, as you say,
lucky:

That's quite interesting since nVidia stated no 8800 line card would
have less than 512MB of RAM.
Old March 27th 07, 12:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
No One

J. Clarke wrote:

Cessna 310 wrote:

No One wrote:

Augustus wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the need to upgrade to Vista. It doesn't
fix anything that's broken.

I wouldn't upgrade to Vista until SP1 and other issues have been
addressed. But it doesn't hurt to get your budget card Aero capable.
He may have it for 3-5 years.

A trully Aero capable card is gonna cost no less than $400.

I'll stick to XP, thank you.

What advantage does Vista offer that's worth the cost of upgrade? And
why does it require a $400 video card to run it?

For me it's the ability to join a domain without playing any tricks
while still being able to run Media Center.

For some folks it's the support for CableCard.

For some there's no benefit at all.

And it most assuredly does not require a $400 video card. "No One" is
clueless on that point.

Please reread the thread. I was not saying Vista requires a card that
powerful, just the Aero interface. Many people are running Vista on far
less vid equipment, but not the Aero interface. Vista steps itself down
quite nicely depending on how powerful your computer is. The more power
you have, the more it becomes a hog.
Old March 27th 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
No One

J. Clarke wrote:

No One wrote:

Augustus wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the need to upgrade to Vista. It doesn't
fix anything that's broken.

I wouldn't upgrade to Vista until SP1 and other issues have been
addressed. But it doesn't hurt to get your budget card Aero capable.
He may have it for 3-5 years.

A trully Aero capable card is gonna cost no less than $400.

Lemme guess, you've never actually _seen_ Vista. All features of Aero
run fine on my Radeon 9600.

Yes I have, but I still don't know why I want to rotate all my windows
and watch streaming videos sideways or backwards.
Old March 27th 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

No One wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Cessna 310 wrote:

No One wrote:

Augustus wrote:

[...]

I read the thread. You're full of crap. I have all features of Aero
enabled on my laptop with a Radeon 9600, which goes for 50 bucks these
days. Of course it's less capable than any PCI Express card from ATI.

Many people are running Vista on
far less vid equipment, but not the Aero interface. Vista steps
itself down quite nicely depending on how powerful your computer is.
The more power you have, the more it becomes a hog.

Yes, it can step itself down, but it doesn't step down anything on my
machine. It tells you what is has enabled and what it hasn't and
everything is enabled.

And it is far less a "hog" than most people who have not used it seem to
think.

Old March 27th 07, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

No One wrote:
Cessna 310 wrote:
No One wrote:

More important is Direct X 10 compliant. Good luck finding one
under $450.

Why is it important to have a card that's DirX10 compliant? Won't
the current crop of 9 cards work?

No, they will not. Currently, only the nVidia 8800 line works with
Direct X 10.

Not this crap again. Went through it with DX 9--you must not have been
old enough to read then.

Just about any current video board will work with DX10. What it won't
do is provide hardware acceleration for new features unique to DX10.
The nVidia 8800 line has that hardware acceleration, but if it is not
present then depending on the feature DX10 will either use soft
emulation or will simply disable the feature. There's nothing in Aero
that requires that those new features be accelerated in hardware.