Motherboard upgradability?

Old March 5th 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
DUKE

Default Motherboard upgradability?

AMD is just plain better.

"Hertz_Donut" wrote in message
news:x5udnR25geW9bXrYnZ2dnUVZ_v6tnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:00:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

Will AM2 support quad-core, oct-core and higher?
I am looking for a motherboard that can handle dual
core now and higher multi core cpu's in the future.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
charles.....

Intel Core2 motherboards will support the two and four core Core2s. AMD
seems to change their pinout with every generation, the A64 is on it's
4th
socket, so it's doubtful that AM2 will support their 4 core, if it does
it
would be a first for them.

This is completely wrong.

Intel is the one that limits upgradeability...by the chipset on the mobo.

AMD offers maxim upgradeability within each socket...Intel does not.

I am a fan of neither platform in particular, but AMD is a far better
choice if you are thinking of a faster processor in the future.

Honu

Old March 31st 07, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
dave

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:00:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

Will AM2 support quad-core, oct-core and higher?
I am looking for a motherboard that can handle dual
core now and higher multi core cpu's in the future.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
charles.....

Intel Core2 motherboards will support the two and four core Core2s. AMD
seems to change their pinout with every generation, the A64 is on it's 4th
socket, so it's doubtful that AM2 will support their 4 core, if it does it
would be a first for them.

AMD has announced that socket AM2 will support 2- and 4-core Barcelona chips due out
by June. I have read in the past few days that an AMD exec said that an 8-core
version of Barcelona will also be available for Barcelona.

http://amdzone.com is one of the best sources of info on AMD.