Motherboard upgradability?

Old February 28th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

Default Motherboard upgradability?

Hi all,

Will AM2 support quad-core, oct-core and higher?
I am looking for a motherboard that can handle dual
core now and higher multi core cpu's in the future.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
charles.....

Old February 28th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:00:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

Will AM2 support quad-core, oct-core and higher?
I am looking for a motherboard that can handle dual
core now and higher multi core cpu's in the future.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
charles.....

Intel Core2 motherboards will support the two and four core Core2s. AMD
seems to change their pinout with every generation, the A64 is on it's 4th
socket, so it's doubtful that AM2 will support their 4 core, if it does it
would be a first for them.
Old March 1st 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Carlo Razzeto

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:00:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Intel Core2 motherboards will support the two and four core Core2s. AMD
seems to change their pinout with every generation, the A64 is on it's 4th
socket, so it's doubtful that AM2 will support their 4 core, if it does it
would be a first for them.

Where do you get this??? AMD's whole marketing angle for 4x4 is that you can
upgrade to oct!!!!

Old March 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:47:00 -0500, Carlo Razzeto wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:00:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Intel Core2 motherboards will support the two and four core Core2s. AMD
seems to change their pinout with every generation, the A64 is on it's 4th
socket, so it's doubtful that AM2 will support their 4 core, if it does it
would be a first for them.

Where do you get this??? AMD's whole marketing angle for 4x4 is that you can
upgrade to oct!!!!

4x4 are Opterons not Athlon64s, they use socket 1207 not AM2. The 1207 is
the second Opteron socket, the Opteron has had only two sockets so far,
940 and 1207. The Athlon64 has had four sockets, 940 (same as the
Opteron), 754, 939 and now AM2 (which has 940 pins but it's a completely
different pinout then the original 940). The 4x4 is a consumer rebranding
of the the Opteron 2xx, it's two Opterons on the board each with two
cores, for a total four cores. It's not a four core chip. The true four
core chips are coming late this year. I would expect that the four core
Opterons will stick with socket 1207 because the Opteron is aimed at
servers and that market demands much more compatibility then the desktop
market so if you were to get a 4x4 board you would probably be able to
upgrade it to eight cores. However there is no guarantee that that the
socket AM2 boards will be upgradeable to four cores. There is no technical
reason why they couldn't use the same socket, it's just that AMD has had a
history of changing the socket every time they update their desktop
processor.
Old March 1st 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:47:00 -0500, Carlo Razzeto wrote:

4x4 are Opterons not Athlon64s, they use socket 1207 not AM2. The 1207 is
the second Opteron socket, the Opteron has had only two sockets so far,
940 and 1207.

Erm, the Opterons did get Socket 939 and thanks vey much Mr AMD for
that!!

[...]

Chri$

Old March 2nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* $:

Erm, the Opterons did get Socket 939

The Socket939 Opterons (Opteron 1xx) are just rebadged A64s...

Benjamin
Old March 2nd 07, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Hertz_Donut[_2_]

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:00:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

Will AM2 support quad-core, oct-core and higher?
I am looking for a motherboard that can handle dual
core now and higher multi core cpu's in the future.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
charles.....

Intel Core2 motherboards will support the two and four core Core2s. AMD
seems to change their pinout with every generation, the A64 is on it's 4th
socket, so it's doubtful that AM2 will support their 4 core, if it does it
would be a first for them.

This is completely wrong.

Intel is the one that limits upgradeability...by the chipset on the mobo.

AMD offers maxim upgradeability within each socket...Intel does not.

I am a fan of neither platform in particular, but AMD is a far better choice
if you are thinking of a faster processor in the future.

Honu

Old March 2nd 07, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
***** charles

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* $:

Erm, the Opterons did get Socket 939

The Socket939 Opterons (Opteron 1xx) are just rebadged A64s...

Benjamin

From this discussion, I am assuming that the best motherboard
for "expandability" would be a single/dual socket F? They tend
to be a little expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.

later,
charles....

Old March 2nd 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:32:35 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

From this discussion, I am assuming that the best motherboard
for "expandability" would be a single/dual socket F? They tend
to be a little expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.

Socket F is the current Opteron/server socket. AM2 is the current desktop
socket. AM2+ CPU's will be backward compatible to AM2. And AM3 and AM3+
sockets are also scheduled. I wouldn't buy any MB assuming it will be
upgradable past the current CPU line that is available for it at the time.
If you can afford the current top end CPU for the current socket, you can
certainly afford to upgrade the MB along with it. And you can always sell
your old MB/cpu combo on ebay, so the MB upgrade cost is minimal at most.
IOW's don't worry about future CPU's for your MB.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Carlo Razzeto

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:32:35 +0000, ***** charles wrote:
Socket F is the current Opteron/server socket. AM2 is the current desktop

snip

And Atholon FX