Fastest CPU in April

Old December 8th 06, 02:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
George Macdonald

Default Fastest CPU in April

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:22:33 GMT, "Ed Medlin" wrote:

I thought tthis was where the Pentium name was to be err,
recalled/recycled
for use as the low end chip in the Core 2 series, with a name of Pentium
E2000 series... 800MT/s FSB and 1MB shared L2. IOW goodbye Celeron...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...115223825.html

The biggest Intel change *could* be the dropping of P4 - why use the same
name for the low-end chip? Quite why they contiinue with P4 is a bit of a
mystery which *could* explained IMO by the fact that C2D was pushed out in
panic mode... further supported by the paucity of useful docs available
for
it.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Well, the Pentium name has been around for over 10yrs and is forever
attached to Intel as their flagship processor. Name recognition probably
comes into play there i.e. Pentium C2D.

"Pentium C2D" you say? Umm, where? I don't see that moniker in any
marketing or technical docs - Core 2, in Duo and Solo forms is all I see;
Pentium was apparently dead, or zombied, until this Pentium E2000 was
mentioned.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some internal conflict at Intel over
this - abandoning a name which is a registered trademark against one which
is only "TM" and unlikely to ever get registered status. It also seems
that Viiv and other recent registered names have fallen kinda flat - even
Centrino has lost its umm, lustre. Wrong as they may have been, people
were "happy" buying their "Centrino processors" - must be a lesson for
marketroids here. Personally I've been waiting for the Hexium, or
preferably the Sexium, for the past ten years or so but it doesn't look
like it's going to happen.:-)

Celeron has always been the bin that
all the budget chips have been tossed into and I agree that it is probably
gone. The mobile Core Duos and single cores will probably all fall under the
E2000 (maybe M2000 for mobiles?) category, along with the 1mb cache
processors and single cores. The "D" I6xx EM64T series is probably dead too.
Good riddance.......:-)

The mobile Core 2 Duos have been around for several months now and they're
called err, "Core 2 Duo"!

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old December 8th 06, 02:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
krw

In article , fammacd=!
says...
[...]

You do know why IBM settled in "hexadecimal"?

Celeron has always been the bin that
all the budget chips have been tossed into and I agree that it is probably
gone. The mobile Core Duos and single cores will probably all fall under the
E2000 (maybe M2000 for mobiles?) category, along with the 1mb cache
processors and single cores. The "D" I6xx EM64T series is probably dead too.
Good riddance.......:-)

The mobile Core 2 Duos have been around for several months now and they're
called err, "Core 2 Duo"!

A waste, AFAIC. Laptops really don't benefit. ...too many other
bottlenecks.

--
Keith
Old December 8th 06, 01:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
George Macdonald

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 19:48:07 -0500, Tony Hill
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:36:45 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote:
The only really new chip I would expect Intel to release in the
semi-near future is a Core-based Celeron processor. Right now all
Celerons are either based off the Pentium 4 architecture (all desktop
and some mobile Celerons) or the Pentium M architecture (only for some
mobile chips). Exactly when this Core-based Celeron will arrive and
in what guise (single vs. dual core, desktop vs. mobile) is still
unclear. My guess though is that it will be a single-core mobile chip
first with single and dual-core desktop chips not arriving until Q3 or
Q4 of 2007.

I thought tthis was where the Pentium name was to be err, recalled/recycled
for use as the low end chip in the Core 2 series, with a name of Pentium
E2000 series... 800MT/s FSB and 1MB shared L2. IOW goodbye Celeron...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...115223825.html

My understanding was that BOTH Pentium and Celeron name would be used
for low-end Core-based chips (Pentium first and then Celeron later).
However such things are difficulty to keep track of, even for a geek
such as myself!

How much further "low-end" do they want to go?

The biggest Intel change *could* be the dropping of P4 - why use the same
name for the low-end chip? Quite why they contiinue with P4 is a bit of a
mystery which *could* explained IMO by the fact that C2D was pushed out in
panic mode... further supported by the paucity of useful docs available for
it.

The "Pentium 4" name has already been dropped. Intel got rid of the
'4' part a little while back with the "Pentium D" and "Pentium Extreme
Edition".

Yeah well it was the Pentium part I was referring to name-wise... and the
micro-architecture tech-wise. It would seem that Pentium D must be
displacing fab capacity for C2D, which doesn't make much sense.

Beyond that though, I suspect that they'll keep the Pentium name
around for a bit for brand recognition. "Pentium" has to be one of
the strongest brands out there, certainly when it comes to computer
brands.

But the new regime was supposed to be Viiv and VPro - not catching on... it
would appear?:-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old December 8th 06, 02:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Ed Medlin

"Pentium C2D" you say? Umm, where? I don't see that moniker in any
marketing or technical docs - Core 2, in Duo and Solo forms is all I see;
Pentium was apparently dead, or zombied, until this Pentium E2000 was
mentioned.

Now that you mention it, you are correct. My Core Duo laptop does have a
sticker that says "Intel Inside" and at the bottom "Pentium Core Duo", but
no reference to Pentium with the Core 2 Duos.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some internal conflict at Intel over
this - abandoning a name which is a registered trademark against one which
is only "TM" and unlikely to ever get registered status. It also seems
that Viiv and other recent registered names have fallen kinda flat - even
Centrino has lost its umm, lustre. Wrong as they may have been, people
were "happy" buying their "Centrino processors" - must be a lesson for
marketroids here. Personally I've been waiting for the Hexium, or
preferably the Sexium, for the past ten years or so but it doesn't look
like it's going to happen.:-)

LOL.......good one.

Celeron has always been the bin that
all the budget chips have been tossed into and I agree that it is probably
gone. The mobile Core Duos and single cores will probably all fall under
the
E2000 (maybe M2000 for mobiles?) category, along with the 1mb cache
processors and single cores. The "D" I6xx EM64T series is probably dead
too.
Good riddance.......:-)

The mobile Core 2 Duos have been around for several months now and they're
called err, "Core 2 Duo"!

The mobile Core Duo processor has been out at least since Spring. The Core 2
Duos only a couple of months, if that. It seems that the Pentium name may
have been done away with between the release of the two. I got my "Core Duo"
in Feb-Mar.

Ed
--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Old December 8th 06, 08:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
George Macdonald

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:41:40 GMT, "Ed Medlin" wrote:

"Pentium C2D" you say? Umm, where? I don't see that moniker in any
marketing or technical docs - Core 2, in Duo and Solo forms is all I see;
Pentium was apparently dead, or zombied, until this Pentium E2000 was
mentioned.

Now that you mention it, you are correct. My Core Duo laptop does have a
sticker that says "Intel Inside" and at the bottom "Pentium Core Duo", but
no reference to Pentium with the Core 2 Duos.

The Viiv/VPro branding seemed to me to be the point that Pentium was
officially dropped... in June(?) but my memory could be off a bit.

[...]

I just got a couple of Core 2 Duo Thinkpads for the office - Lenovo was
late with them and now has a rather nice sale until Monday 11th. I can't
swear to it but ISTR seeing the first Core 2 Duo notebooks advertised in
late August... possibly preannouncements but certainly September saw
availability. Sony seems to have an inordinate number of different models
- odd that Intel would get so cozy with a company which is so visibly on
the wane as to popularity and "reputation".

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old December 9th 06, 04:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Tony Hill

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:21:58 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote:
My understanding was that BOTH Pentium and Celeron name would be used
for low-end Core-based chips (Pentium first and then Celeron later).
However such things are difficulty to keep track of, even for a geek
such as myself!

How much further "low-end" do they want to go?

Well, they already have all 3 product names. Core 2 Duo is primarily
for the $200+ processor market, Pentium is primarily for the $100-$200
market and Celeron for the sub-$100 market. Changing the products but
leaving the name and the price scheme the same seems like the plan
here.

The "Pentium 4" name has already been dropped. Intel got rid of the
'4' part a little while back with the "Pentium D" and "Pentium Extreme
Edition".

Yeah well it was the Pentium part I was referring to name-wise... and the
micro-architecture tech-wise. It would seem that Pentium D must be
displacing fab capacity for C2D, which doesn't make much sense.

I really expect them to get rid of the micro-architecture, it makes no
sense to keep producing it. The die size of a Core 2 Duo chip with
4MB of cache is smaller than that of a Pentium D with 2MB of cache.
Admittedly the Pentium D has a slight advantage in being two separate
(smaller) dies instead of just one (bigger) die, but it seems unlikely
that it would be any cheaper for Intel to produce the chips. Probably
they are about even in terms of manufacturing costs, while performance
STRONGLY favors the Core 2 Duo.

The Pentium name though, that's another story. I beleive that it's
expected to live on with a Core-based as a branding for future Core
based processors (same goes for the Celeron brand).

Beyond that though, I suspect that they'll keep the Pentium name
around for a bit for brand recognition. "Pentium" has to be one of
the strongest brands out there, certainly when it comes to computer
brands.

But the new regime was supposed to be Viiv and VPro - not catching on... it
would appear?:-)

Viiv seems like a massive failure and VPro seems to have died before
leaving the starting blocks. Intel's stuck in an odd position of
having such a great brand but having trouble moving beyond it. Their
new brands get judged against their old brands, just like their
competitors, and often fail. Even Celeron was, at best, only a
moderate success. Many people I know still associate the name with a
less reliable chip than a Pentium-branded chip, despite the fact that
they might very well be the exact same chip underneath the packaging.
I think maybe Intel got a little carried away by the success of
Centrino and figured that everything else would just automatically do
the same.
--
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old December 9th 06, 04:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
wizzywiz

dMn wrote:
wizzywiz wrote:
wrote:

SNIP

When my program takes days to execute, there is definately a need for
more cpu power.

Or a better program/programmer.

dMn

What an idiot.

Old December 9th 06, 08:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
George Macdonald

wrote:
My understanding was that BOTH Pentium and Celeron name would be used
for low-end Core-based chips (Pentium first and then Celeron later).
However such things are difficulty to keep track of, even for a geek
such as myself!

How much further "low-end" do they want to go?

Well, they already have all 3 product names. Core 2 Duo is primarily
for the $200+ processor market, Pentium is primarily for the $100-$200
market and Celeron for the sub-$100 market. Changing the products but
leaving the name and the price scheme the same seems like the plan
here.

My point is: I just don't see a future for anything lower than the Pentium
E2000 mentioned in the article - I guess we'll see if maybe some wafer-edge
chips come out at 512KB unified L2.:-) Now that I think of it, I haven't
seen a mention of a Core Solo desktop chip.

The "Pentium 4" name has already been dropped. Intel got rid of the
'4' part a little while back with the "Pentium D" and "Pentium Extreme
Edition".

Yeah well it was the Pentium part I was referring to name-wise... and the
micro-architecture tech-wise. It would seem that Pentium D must be
displacing fab capacity for C2D, which doesn't make much sense.

I really expect them to get rid of the micro-architecture, it makes no
sense to keep producing it.

And *yet*!

The die size of a Core 2 Duo chip with
4MB of cache is smaller than that of a Pentium D with 2MB of cache.
Admittedly the Pentium D has a slight advantage in being two separate
(smaller) dies instead of just one (bigger) die, but it seems unlikely
that it would be any cheaper for Intel to produce the chips. Probably
they are about even in terms of manufacturing costs, while performance
STRONGLY favors the Core 2 Duo.

Two separate dice? I thought that went away with even later 90nm Pentium
Ds.

The Pentium name though, that's another story. I beleive that it's
expected to live on with a Core-based as a branding for future Core
based processors (same goes for the Celeron brand).

Yeah well the article said Pentium E2000 when previous indications were
that the name might go away. Celeron?... like I said I don't see a slot
for anything below the Pentium E2000.

[...]

As mentioned elsewhere, even Centrino has lost some of its shine - diluted
by more confusing terms for umm, "T"s, "Families" & "Platforms". I can't
imagine how your average CompUSA/BestBuy store clerk is going to handle the
kinds of questions such a multi-faceted array of choices presents to the
non-expert buyer. Too many line items confuses the channel... top to
bottom!

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Fastest CPU in April wizzywiz General 51 December 15th 06 08:09 PM
Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 12:14 AM
ATI R420 slips from April to May ??? John Lewis Ati Videocards 0 April 25th 04 04:44 AM
ATI R420 slips from April to May ??? John Lewis Nvidia Videocards 0 April 25th 04 04:44 AM
Want to upgrade my Prolinea 590 to fastest CPU PublicNews Compaq Servers 1 December 11th 03 08:10 PM