2 * AMD 64 x2

Old September 14th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Martin Dowie

Default 2 * AMD 64 x2

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

TIA!

Old September 14th 06, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:42:25 -0700, Martin Dowie wrote:

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

TIA!

You are looking for a dual Opteron board, everybody make them. Just check
the websites for the usual suspects, ASUS, TYAN, SuperMicro, MSI, you'll
find lots of them.

Old September 14th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:04:07 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:42:25 -0700, Martin Dowie wrote:

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

TIA!

You are looking for a dual Opteron board, everybody make them. Just check
the websites for the usual suspects, ASUS, TYAN, SuperMicro, MSI, you'll
find lots of them.

Just in case your were thinking of the AMD 4x4 stuff, that's not until
next year.

Old September 15th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
BC

Martin Dowie wrote:
Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

TIA!

Dear Martin,

Newegg files dual CPU boards under "server": here are about 25 dual
socket 940 Opteron boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=

Lots of Tyan and Supermicros, one Asus board:

Note: I have a Tyan S939 motherboard, it has been absolutely great....I
hear that Supermicro makes great motherboards, and, I have always had
great luck with Asus as well.

Dual core socket 940 Opteron CPUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&src hInDesc=

If you are not familiar with Newegg, their customer reviews are a pretty
good source of information--must consider the source--some people give
bad reviews when an AMD processor doesn't fit in an Intel motherboard,
but, most reviewers are pretty knowledgeable, and make good points.

HTH,

BC

Old September 15th 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Martin Dowie:

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

There are no dual board for Athlon64 yet. Currently if you want to AMD
processors you have to go Opteron. But if you can wait there should be
some dual Athlon64 FX boards coming out around Q4 this year.

Benjamin
Old September 15th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Martin Dowie

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Martin Dowie:

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

There are no dual board for Athlon64 yet. Currently if you want to AMD
processors you have to go Opteron. But if you can wait there should be
some dual Athlon64 FX boards coming out around Q4 this year.

Benjamin

Ok, thanks for that.
Cheers
-- Martin
Old September 15th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Scott Lurndal

Benjamin Gawert writes:
* Martin Dowie:

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

There are no dual board for Athlon64 yet. Currently if you want to AMD
processors you have to go Opteron. But if you can wait there should be
some dual Athlon64 FX boards coming out around Q4 this year.

Benjamin

Are you quite sure about this? The Athlon 64 FX processor only has a
single non-coherent HT link.

scott
Old September 15th 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:49:46 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Benjamin Gawert writes:
* Martin Dowie:

Anyone know of a motherboard that supports 2 AMD 64x2 CPU's? i.e. 4
cores. Googling doesn't throw up much as it tends to pick up the 'dual'
for PCI-express, etc. Tried all the online retails I can think of.

There are no dual board for Athlon64 yet. Currently if you want to AMD
processors you have to go Opteron. But if you can wait there should be
some dual Athlon64 FX boards coming out around Q4 this year.

Benjamin

Are you quite sure about this? The Athlon 64 FX processor only has a
single non-coherent HT link.

scott

AMD is coming out with 4x4 which is really two Opteron 2xx rebranded as
Athlon64 FX. They did the same thing with the original Athlon 64. The
first Athlon64 was a rebranded Opteron 1xx in a 940 pin package, they
later switched to a 939 pin package for the A64s and kept 940 for
Opterons. Now they've gone back to a 940 pin package for the A64 (socket
AM2) and moved the Opterons to a 1207 pin package (socket F). I'm not sure
if the A64 4x4s are going to use the 1207 or stick with the AM2, my guess
would be AM2. All they have to do to turn a A64 core into an Opteron core
is to enable snooping on 1 of the hypertransport buses, that's probably
done with a simple metal option, it might just be a jumper in the package.