Voracious Microsoft wants $450 for Vista

Old June 19th 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Voracious Microsoft wants $450 for Vista

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:09:41 -0500, VanShania wrote:

Can you play all the latest games(or should I say "any games") on LINIX?

Sure you can play all the latest Linux Games on Linux. And you can also
play most if not all win32 games on it too I'm told, but I don't know are
care. I've been running Linux for about 5 years and still haven't looked
at all the free games that just came with the distro I use.

How about any and all programming compilers like Visual Basic, Cobol, C/C++,
Microsoft Office products(you know, what every business is using right
now)?, how about video editing?

You've got to be kidding me. There's more developement sofware for Linux
than a windows user could even think of, much less have or afford. As for
office suites, take your pick of several. Open office probably being the
most recognizable. I don't do video editing, but check with some of the
major movie companies that edit their movies with Linux if you want
professional software. Otherwise there's many free packages.

For $0 you get what would cost thousands for software for Windows. Only
drawback is that you don't get all those free virues for windows.:-)

Old June 20th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Well my hat is off for you LINIX users

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu - 4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV, Warhammer 40,000 Gold

"VanShania" wrote in message
[...]

"know code" wrote in message
VanShania wrote:
Unless linix becomes as versatile as Mac's OS X, it will only be used by
those who don't have much to do anyways

What are you talking about? I can do everything I need to do on my linux
box that I could do with Windoze, and what I need to do is probably a lot
more than the average Joe.

I have used the latest offerings from both camps, have you? IMO, the
latest linux is now way ahead of XP in performance, stability, security
etc (and it is free).

And, it is now much easier to install than XP (try installing XP on a
S-ATA drive if you're a newbie!).

Old June 21st 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"know code" wrote in message
VanShania wrote:

I have no idea about LINIX but I know you can play games on LINUX!
Besides, I always thought a games console was designed for playing games
on....

Sure, but extreamly limited... ID does a good job supporting linux, no one
else does for the most part.

How about any and all programming compilers like Visual Basic, Cobol,
C/C++,

Visual Basic? Isn't that only used on Windoze? Why would anyone want

VB isn't my fav, but with VB.Net it works like any other language in the
..Net family so who cares?

to use that Mickey Mouse language on a good OS like Linux? As for C/C++,
of course you can. Ever heard of gcc?

GCC is a rather bleh compiler... It does it's job, but you don't get very
well optimized code. This is why, for instance you don't see very many
itanium linux machines

Now, if you want to talk about languages.... does Windoze support Fortran,
Haskell, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl? These all come supplied as STANDARD
with SUSE linux at no additional cost. How many of those come supplied
with Windoze, and if they don't, how much do they cost? Now tell me which
is the more programmer oriented OS!

Fortran yes, Python yes, Tcl - god talk about awful languages, who cares if
windows supports it, Perl of course. Haskell and Ruby I'm not as familar
with but I'm sure there is support

Microsoft Office products(you know, what every business is using right
now)?,

Ever heard of Open Office? It reads and writes MS proprietary formats AND
supports the ISO **STANDARD** which M$ Office does not! And, it is FREE.
Remind me how much M$ Office Pro is again?

I'm not a fan of open office, MS products seem to perform better. Not sure
what you're talking about with "propriatary formats".... As far as I know
open office doesn't use a document standard that's any more open than
Micrsofts. Are there other office products that support Open office document
formats nativly? As far as Open Document vs. the new MS format, they're both
equally open so whatever.

how about video editing?

Of course! Do some research before posting M$ FUD!

And you please do some before posting this kind of crap. Not that I defend
the uninformed opinion that the original poster put out there, but as far as
I can see yours isn't any better.

Carlo

Old June 21st 06, 09:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

VB isn't my fav, but with VB.Net it works like any other language in the
.Net family so who cares?

..Net? That's M$ proprietary Windoze only stuff, isn't it? So, as you
say, who cares!

Microsoft Office products(you know, what every business is using right
now)?,

Ever heard of Open Office? It reads and writes MS proprietary formats AND
supports the ISO **STANDARD** which M$ Office does not! And, it is FREE.
Remind me how much M$ Office Pro is again?

I'm not a fan of open office, MS products seem to perform better. Not sure
what you're talking about with "propriatary formats"....

M$ Office documents use a proprietary file format. Other applications
can only read/write M$ formats because they have been reverse
engineered. The reason some M$ documents do not display properly in
other apps?.... because M$ have never released the formatting used!
OTOH, the OpenDocument Format (ODF) as used by Open Office is a fully
open format and has been standardised by the International Standards
Organisation in ISO/IEC 26300. This means that *any* app which conforms
to this ISO standard format will be able to read/write ODF files. No
doubt M$ will install a .odt filter in Word so it can read OpenOffice
text documents, but I wonder will they release the formatting of their
..doc files so OpenOffice can read M$ files? I know where my money on
that debate is! Go to the link below for more details on the ISO standard!

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...60503080915835

As far as I know
open office doesn't use a document standard that's any more open than
Micrsofts.

See answer above. It is ISO standard ISO/IEC 26300.

Are there other office products that support Open office document
formats nativly? As far as Open Document vs. the new MS format, they're both
equally open so whatever.

M$ documents are not an open format and never have been. They are a
closed proprietary format, just like M$ source code. See answer above
as to why OpenOffice can read them.

how about video editing?

Of course! Do some research before posting M$ FUD!

And you please do some before posting this kind of crap. Not that I defend
the uninformed opinion that the original poster put out there, but as far as
I can see yours isn't any better.

Maybe you should do some research! I have as can be evidenced above.
Clearly you haven't!
Old June 21st 06, 09:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

know code wrote:
Go to the link below for more details on the ISO standard!

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...60503080915835

Or if you prefer something from the ISO themselves, then try this link.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre...6/Ref1004.html
Old June 21st 06, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"know code" wrote in message
Carlo Razzeto wrote:

VB isn't my fav, but with VB.Net it works like any other language in the
.Net family so who cares?

.Net? That's M$ proprietary Windoze only stuff, isn't it? So, as you
say, who cares!

Mono.

[...]

docx etc is open just like .Net

how about video editing?
Of course! Do some research before posting M$ FUD!

And you please do some before posting this kind of crap. Not that I
defend the uninformed opinion that the original poster put out there, but
as far as I can see yours isn't any better.

Maybe you should do some research! I have as can be evidenced above.
Clearly you haven't!

Ditto.

Old June 22nd 06, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

know code wrote:
know code wrote:

Go to the link below for more details on the ISO standard!

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...60503080915835

Or if you prefer something from the ISO themselves, then try this link.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre...6/Ref1004.html

Don't be too overly swayed by the fact that one thing or another
conforms to ISO standards. The standards are often drafted specifically
by vendors to get a rubber stamp of approval from ISO. These are then
used by these vendors to point accusatory fingers at others for not
being compliant.

If Microsoft were not participating in the standards process, do you
think the competing vendors that were participating would ask for their
opinion?